Thornton: "Doug Needs to Shut His Mouth & Stop Lying"

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Thornton should shut his mouth and win something sometime for the Sharks. Big fat contract and big fat CHOKE to show for it his entire NHL career.

He completely took what was said (posted above) out of context and if some team could use a 2nd line C that will choke for your team and find ways to lose I am betting one is available right now in San Jose.

And before someone shows me some recent stats about his points in the playoffs, all you need to look at is the losing and laid back mentality he displays as a 'captain' and how his dressing room has never won squat.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
KPD said: Not a leader, Bruins won't win a championship with him.

MOC said: Bergeron is gonna be our cornerstone, let's trade JT.

End result: Bruins has won a championship. SJ: None. Bergeron is recognized as one of the best two ways forwards in the league; better leader then JT.

Perspective. it's always about perspective.

So... what you are saying... fire Chia, hire MOC back?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
When Thornton was traded in 2005 it was the first time in their all sports radio format history that WEEI went all Bruins all day. Ordway somehow got Jacobs on the air and honestly I think it was the first time I ever heard the man speak ( and at this point he had owned the team for 30 years ) and JJ was angry on air.

Joe Thornton ended the Harry Sinden era in Boston and gave us a new front office that would give us June 15, 2011.

Sinden hadn't been the GM since 2000, so it was perhaps unofficially the end of his era.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
So... what you are saying... fire Chia, hire MOC back?

Say what you will about MOC had major flaws and was a doosh but he is the guy who brought in Thomas, he is the guy who rebuilt a baron farm and have us the core players that got us the cup in 2011. PC put the finishing touches on it but that was a team largely built from the prior regime.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Even with the poor return on a guy who was then considered very valuable, I like the fact that Thornton has spent the last 10 years or so eating up a big portion of SJ's cap space and not Boston's. Wilson made Joe his go-to guy. Not that I think Wilson should be talking so much, but I mean, he must be frustrated with Thornton and himself. He built around Thornton (and to a lesser extent Marleau) from age 25 to 35 and it hasn't gone very well.
Paying Chara the money earmarked for Thornton and getting Savard to be the playmaker and allowing Bergeron to be at the center of the leadership group since 2005 turned out to be a much better scenario regardless of the whys and hows.
MOC got a lot of things wrong, including the return, but he identified Bergeron as a guy to build around and Joe Thornton as a guy who shouldn't be your captain and top paid player--and he was right about that. Wilson now knows this as well and he's probably as surly and shell shocked as MOC seemed in 2005. All I can say is that it's been this dark and darker in Bruins country and I'm just glad it is SJ's problem instead.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Does this junk argument still exist in these parts?

You think time would buy a little impartial wisdom.

Did Wendel Clark, Brad Park, Adam Oates, Mats Sundin, Terry O'Reilly, Don Cherry, Trevor Linden, Jeremy Roenick, Keith Tkachuk, Eric Lindros, Rick Middleton and Jerome Iginla all have no heart?

They never won the Cup

Were Marcel Dionne, Jean Ratelle, Paul Kariya, Michel Goulet and Pavel Bure no good?

What, they didn't carry their whole team on their backs?

Fact; That was one of the worst trades in modern NHL history, and everyone except for a few in these parts seem to understand it

Fact; With almost a point a game career pace over 1,200 NHL games, Thornton is a good bet for the Hockey Hall of Fame. Another couple of seasons, at this pace, and he is a shoo in

The Bruin won the Cup in 2011 *despite* the trade, not because of it. That concept is utter nonsense. There is no reason to believe that they couldn't have won it with him on the roster, and if Mike O'Connell wasn't around desperately trying to save his own skin, that may well have happened.

Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart....that is laughable.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA

Did Wendel Clark, Brad Park, Adam Oates, Mats Sundin, Terry O'Reilly, Don Cherry, Trevor Linden, Jeremy Roenick, Keith Tkachuk, Eric Lindros, Rick Middleton and Jerome Iginla all have no heart?

They never won the Cup

Were Marcel Dionne, Jean Ratelle, Paul Kariya, Michel Goulet and Pavel Bure no good?

Fact; That was one of the worst trades in modern NHL history, and everyone except for a few in these parts seem to understand it

Fact; With almost a point a game career pace over 1,200 NHL games, Thornton is a good bet for the Hockey Hall of Fame. Another couple of seasons, at this pace, and he is a shoo in

The Bruin won the Cup in 2011 *despite* the trade, not because of it. That concept is utter nonsense. There is no reason not to believe that they couldn't have won it without him, and if Mike O'Connell wasn't around desperately trying to save his own skin, that may well have happened.

Agreed....Boston also most likely wins with JT in 11 if he's here...

His playoff numbers like someone posted but naturally got ignored aren't THAT bad either. VERY few guys can put a whole team on their back to win cups. (Thomas in 11). Hockeys a team sport and SJS as a team choke, not JT. He has scored some key goals for them in the playoffs as well..

The hate around here is laughable, and misplaced it seems....

Also, yes that return was brutal and set us back. We got LUCKY as HELL the Kessel trade worked out...We'll see with the Seguin move, but that most likely set us back as well. We should of got a lot more for Thornton. A LOT.

Also DW is a turd. Good for JT. I hope they sneak in the playoffs this year and give it a hell of a run despite this.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Agreed....Boston also most likely wins with JT in 11 if he's here...

His playoff numbers like someone posted but naturally got ignored aren't THAT bad either. VERY few guys can put a whole team on their back to win cups. (Thomas in 11). Hockeys a team sport and SJS as a team choke, not JT. He has scored some key goals for them in the playoffs as well..

The hate around here is laughable, and misplaced it seems....

Also, yes that return was brutal and set us back. We got LUCKY as HELL the Kessel trade worked out...We'll see with the Seguin move, but that most likely set us back as well. We should of got a lot more for Thornton. A LOT.

Also DW is a turd. Good for JT. I hope they sneak in the playoffs this year and give it a hell of a run despite this.

Not sure with Thornton leading the Bruins we get passed MTL in 11.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002

They never won the Cup

The Bruin won the Cup in 2011 *despite* the trade, not because of it. That concept is utter nonsense. There is no reason to believe that they couldn't have won it with him on the roster, and if Mike O'Connell wasn't around desperately trying to save his own skin, that may well have happened.

I think the only thing time has shown is that the contention that Joe couldn't elevate his game when it mattered most was absolutely true. Go watch games when the series on the line. No show Joe 2002 style.

Facts is facts.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

They never won the Cup

None of those guys ever told their GMs they should just shut up (through the media) like Thornton did.

It doesn't strike you as odd that Thornton hasn't gotten along with either of his GMs? A Hall of Famer that both GMs realized they'd be better off without?

No argument that the Thornton trade was a terrible one. But I for one never missed him as a Bruin.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

They never won the Cup

I agree,Orr wouldn't have won a bloody thing in LA.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
One of the greatest trades in Bruin history and the threads on this board back then were epic.

Addition by subtraction. We never win in 2011 if he is still around. Period.

One can debate the return(we all love Sturmy, however, that is for sure), but I tend to agree with the above. Nothing against Joe(he was properly saluted in Boston for his 1,000th game, and he gave a thumbs-up in return).

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think it would be poetic justice if he ended up back here with SJ paying half the freight -- only to help Boston win another Cup. Then he could give KPD an exclusive and they could become life long Poker buddies. That certain circular poetic karma that can happen in sports ....and in life :D

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think it would be poetic justice if he ended up back here with SJ paying half the freight -- only to help Boston win another Cup. Then he could give KPD an exclusive and they could become life long Poker buddies. That certain circular poetic karma that can happen in sports ....and in life :D

Never happen brother.

Never.

Joe burned his bridge here.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Heh, what a shocker. Better them than us. And yeah B37, those threads were EPIC.

Can't argue how bad the return was. It was BRUTAL.

However you can't argue the history, either. He went to a stacked team at the time, and what have they done? What didn't those teams have in terms of tools for Joe?

He's never shaken the invisible man of the playoffs moniker. Nor the - not fit for leadership moniker.

Like I said, better them than us.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
One can debate the return(we all love Sturmy, however, that is for sure), but I tend to agree with the above. Nothing against Joe(he was properly saluted in Boston for his 1,000th game, and he gave a thumbs-up in return).

I was no fan of Marco the mediocre.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

The surfing's not that good here.

Joe vetoes the trade.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He definitely wasn't lying when he pointed out how important Campbell was to the Bruins and how his presence changed the way we are treated by the NHL. Lot of ******** when Jumbo told people to ask Savard how the Bruins were treated before GC arrived.

2 years after he should have played his last game for us this career 4th liner who is only in the NHL because of his dad/grandfather STILL will not be benched for awful play and being 2 steps behind constantly.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

On Thornton's side with this one.

yep, GM said something that he should have kept to himself or to a meeting with Joe privately which I heard John Shannon state he had done long ago

He didn`t, Joe responded, I kind of like it, stupid move by Wilson, fighting to grab a playoff spot and then he opens his pie hole???:shakehead

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I always found Thornton frustrating. He's got the size, strength, talent & skill to be one of the best ever. The only thing lacking is the drive & determination to be one of the best ever. I think if he had that the Sharks would have won a Cup or two, they've had some damn good teams.

roguepatriot

Jun 24, 2010
WILSON: “I’m glad you asked. I’ve told David Pollak this. There are parts of the media that are not overly concerned with getting the truth. They’re worried about the first gossip, the first rumor.

“Joe Thornton, I’m a huge fan of Joe Thornton. I’ve known him since I was 18 in the world juniors. Joe Thornton loves this game. He’s one of the greatest players that ever played. He cares about the game so much. The reason we took the ‘C’ off him — and he was notified. Look, he and Todd had a meeting. I trust them both but sometimes what’s said and what’s heard might be whatever. There’s emotions involved. The both care about it.

“Joe Thornton, and I sat him down and I said, Joe, I have such great respect for you. He carries the weight of the team on his shoulders. And he’s got such a big heart that when stress comes on him, he lashes out at people and it kind of impacts them.

“Larry Robinson, one of the greatest leaders in the game and won nine cups, was never a captain. You can be a leader without a captain. But the pressure and stress, I felt, was getting to Joe, and I sat him down and said we need other players to step up and share this. Leadership group in this league is a shared thing, it’s not one guy.

“This says a lot about Joe. He got it. He didn’t like it, but he got it and he understood. And he said, ‘You know what? That makes sense to me.’ .

“He was never once asked to waive his no movement clause. Never once. I sat him down and I said, ‘Joe, we’re going to rebuild. We’re going to go young, you know who the players are and we’re going to try and do it as fast as possible. He said, ‘Doug, I’m in.’ We shook hands. That was the end of it.â€

Nothing Wilson said here was incorrect or even uncharitable. Thornton has always been a playoff dud and does seem to have problems dealing with pressure. Sorry Joe, but that's the truth--now shut your mouth and let your play do the talking.

All of these just confirms to me what I already believed; Joe is an ultimate hypocrite. Larry Robinson might have a right to be upset about this, but it perfectly describes Joe and to me says nothing even mildly controversial. Was it smart for his GM to say this in public, of course not; especially based on Joe's inability to take criticism. This is not about his ability as a player; he has the skills of a HOF player; this is about his character. Some people are not born to be leaders; nor are capable of learning the skills to cover over that lack of natural talent. For me; this guy is a good example of that and his GM and his response to it confirms it for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad