Thornton Cup with Toronto compared to Bourque with Colorado?

How Would Thornton Winning a Cup With the Leafs Compare to Bourque with Colorado?

• Total voters

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
If Thornton were to win a cup with his boyhood team the Leafs this year, then retire, how it would it stack up against Bourque winning with Colorado?

Obligatory note that I’m not saying the Leafs will win the cup. They may not win a playoff round. They may not make the playoffs, I am just asking “What If”?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Thornton winning wouldn't be as meaningful or impressive.

Not only does he fail to rank up there with Bourque on a career level, but he also isn't anywhere near the impact player now in 2021 that Bourque was in 2001.

Bourque was still an elite defenseman in 2001, and was one of the top 5 defensemen of all-time at the time of his retirement.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
I say not as meaningful only because I do not consider this a "real" season because of the shortened schedule, had this been a full 82 game season and Thornton played in 90%+ of those games and the entire playoffs like Bourque did and was a significant contributor I would say about the same, possibly a little more because of the hometown factor and the fact Leafs have not won in 50+ years

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Not close at all.

Bourque is arguably the second greatest defenseman to ever play the game and usually regarded as no worse than top five.

He was one of the very best from the moment he started his career all the way through the very end.

He was a great playoff performer long before the trade to Colorado. There were heartbreaking chances at the Cup (he played in 2 SCF and multiple deep runs before winning with the Avs) and he more than did his part to help some of those Bruins contenders.

And I’m surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but he put in nearly 21 seasons with the same team before he gave his blessing to be moved to a serious Cup contender at the very end of his career. Other than Sakic and Roy, his play was the reason they won that Cup.

You can even get sentimental about it and say he was THE reason because everyone rallied around wanting to help him get it.

I’m a big fan of Thornton, but it’s not remotely close. I’m not surprised there’s votes for him, but I am surprised it’s not 90% in Bourque’s favor.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
On one hand, Thornton is merely a depth player now and Bourque was still a star in his last season. On the other, for Toronto to win the Cup, they would probably need Joe in his 2006 form, so it might be more impressive. Colorado in the early 2000s was a stacked team and might have won the Cup without Bourque.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Thornton is getting seriously disrespected here. Winning a cup with the Leafs would be huge. Thorton might just surprise a lot of people this year. He just had a 2 point game with a nice first Leafs goal. Wouldn't be surprised myself to see Thornton have such a good season that it's a no brainer that he'll continue his career for one more year next season.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
It'd be meaningful only if his beard is bigger and thicker than any of his previous seasons. Otherwise, not a chance in hell.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'd personally rank it about the same but I can admit it's probably a notch below. I'm one of Thornton's biggest fans and I can admit Bourque was a better defenseman through his career than Thornton was a center, and that's not a knock on Thornton at all. Bourque was just one of the best of the best.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
On one hand, Thornton is merely a depth player now and Bourque was still a star in his last season. On the other, for Toronto to win the Cup, they would probably need Joe in his 2006 form, so it might be more impressive. Colorado in the early 2000s was a stacked team and might have won the Cup without Bourque.
His 2016 form would probably do it. In 2006 he was better than any player currently on the Leafs ever was or will be.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Assuming he has a very strong performance - option 2.

Bourque is a bigger player - but Leafs winning 1st time in 50+ years is more significant and would help.

But only assuming he has a really strong performance. If he's a 4th line passenger, it means a lot less

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
About the same for me.
Funny how many people justify voting Bourque just because he was better.
I think there are plenty of other factors, such as Toronto being Thornton's boyhood team and relatively unlikely to win this season.
Also, the gap between Bourque and Thornton isn't THAT massive.

E. As some have pointed out, it will depend a lot on Thornton's contribution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad