Thorburn throws six punches to opponent on the ice

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
This thread is hilarious. Thorburn ignores the puck to challenge Roussel with a crosscheck and then turns away at the same time that Roussel drops his gloves. Sure, Roussel could've let him skate away, but that doesn't happen in the NHL. None of this is really relevant though. Thorburn threw six punches when Roussel was down, three after the refs were trying to separate them.

Also, I'm laughing at this idea that Roussel is a cheap shot artist or an exceptionally dirty player. He's not, but everyone hates him. Just means he's good at his job. I think there are some STL fans in here that are looking for a place to vent their frustration from Benn's antics and the Stars' win.
EVERYONE other than Dallas homers (and childish Vancouver fans with backwards names and an irrational hatred of all things Blues) can see that Thorburn challenged Roussel to fight, Roussel initially refused, Thorburn then turned to play the puck, and only once Thorburn's back was turned did Roussel take the opportunity to drop his gloves and attack Thorburn from behind. It's clear as day. What is actually funny in this thread is 1) the mental gymnastics and imagined timeline of events put forth by stars fans 2) how hard this thread backfired on the OP.

If Roussel's job is to break player's hands with slashes, then you're right he is remarkably good at it. After all, the "non-cheap shot artist," broke Steen's hand with a slash this very preseason. Not dirty at all tho...just being a pest! :eyeroll:

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Never understood why people think Roussel is going to fight heavyweights.. every game he gets under the skin of opponents/fans and then fans cry when he doesn't fight their 6'4 heavy weight like Buff, Wilson, etc.

He fought a finesse rookie who doesn’t fight and didn’t drop the gloves. He is obviously going to have to answer for that and he didn’t, be turtled, like the bitch he is.

In this case he tried to jump someone from behind like a bitch and then turtled when the guy finally squared up.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Relax pal he’s not a a Jet anymore
This dude gets off on trolling the blues and jets threads for whatever reason. He's missing the mark in this one though because 99/100 blues fans would love for Thorburn to never touch the ice.

If it takes a suspension on an incident with a weasle, so be it. Best case scenario in yesterday's altercation would have been a broken nose for Roussell and a Thorburn 100 game suspension...

Reactions: Eyeseeing

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Those 3 or so love taps Thorbs gave him after the ref had Roussel tied down didn't look all that damaging TBH. This was just Thorbs calling Roussel a piece of trash, but physically.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I'm very not pc, but many posts in this thread sickens me. If you think Roussel got 'what he deserved', you're probably the kind of person who thinks people in society should take laws into their own hands. Roussel had already surrendered and the refs have intervened. What Thorburn does next, or attempts to, is defenitely worthy of a suspension.

Roussel is a pest. That's his job. It doesn't mean he's an awful person who derserves taking punches to his face with the back of his head lined up against stonehard ice... People take agitators way too personal.

There's a difference between a pest and roussell. Andrew shaw is a pest, I hate Andrew shaw but he will back up his actions and doesn't usually cross the line. There is a difference between Andrew shaw and roussell.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
EVERYONE other than Dallas homers (and childish Vancouver fans with backwards names and an irrational hatred of all things Blues) can see that Thorburn challenged Roussel to fight, Roussel initially refused, Thorburn then turned to play the puck, and only once Thorburn's back was turned did Roussel take the opportunity to drop his gloves and attack Thorburn from behind. It's clear as day. What is actually funny in this thread is 1) the mental gymnastics and imagined timeline of events put forth by stars fans 2) how hard this thread backfired on the OP.

If Roussel's job is to break player's hands with slashes, then you're right he is remarkably good at it. After all, the "non-cheap shot artist," broke Steen's hand with a slash this very preseason. Not dirty at all tho...just being a pest! :eyeroll:
Or thats what you and people with irrational hatred to ward Roussel believe what happend. Cause you keep saying a lie doesnt make it a truth bub. Stop lying and respect yourself :shakehead

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
There's a difference between a pest and roussell. Andrew shaw is a pest, I hate Andrew shaw but he will back up his actions and doesn't usually cross the line. There is a difference between Andrew shaw and roussell.
Andrew Shaw uses homophobic sloors against opposing players. Hes the definition of a disgusting classless rat that should be banned from the league. Please try in pay attention from now on :facepalm:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Andrew Shaw uses homophobic sloors against opposing players. Hes the definition of a disgusting classless rat that should be banned from the league. Please try in pay attention from now on :facepalm:

So he's worse than roussell?

I mean when I grew up, it was a throwaway word and one of the most common insults for somebody. It didn't have meaning back then and shaw and I are around the same age. I'm sure he's used that words thousands of times growing up.

I'm not using that as an excuse because obviously now things are different but it probably just slipped out in the heat of the moment.

Reactions: dkhockey

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So he's worse than roussell?

I mean when I grew up, it was a throwaway word and one of the most common insults for somebody. It didn't have meaning back then and shaw and I are around the same age. I'm sure he's used that words thousands of times growing up.

I'm not using that as an excuse because obviously now things are different but it probably just slipped out in the heat of the moment.
Being ignorant and uneducated about peoples sexual preferences is no excuse to use hate language. If you find it ok cause you grew up with that ignorance doesnt make it right or understandable

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Being ignorant and uneducated about peoples sexual preferences is no excuse to use hate language. If you find it ok cause you grew up with that ignorance doesnt make it right or understandable

Youre showing your age. Everyone I knew used that word growing up. Like I said, it was a throwaway word back then. It didn't have the same meaning as it does today.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Youre showing your age. Everyone I knew used that word growing up. Like I said, it was a throwaway word back then. It didn't have the same meaning as it does today.
Except for the victims of your hate language. It was the same meaning then or now.

Again ignorance never justifies such hate

But anyways maybe back to the discussion of Thorburns predatory cowardly assault on a pest who some people dont like

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Except for the victims of your hate language. It was the same meaning then or now.

Again ignorance never justifies such hate

But anyways maybe back to the discussion of Thorburns predatory cowardly assault on a pest who some people dont like

Except most people would say it right back. People didn't have the victim mentality 10-20 years ago that they do today.

But you're right, this is way off topic.

Reactions: dkhockey

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
did anyone else notice thorburn clubbing him in the back of the head @0:19~

tofu

Sep 28, 2017
Roussel has been suspended once in six years. Shaw has been suspended more times than I can count on a hand. Maybe check the facts.

Reactions: hairylikebear

HatchtrickBateman

Jun 29, 2011
Lincoln, NE
Roussel has been suspended once in six years. Shaw has been suspended more times than I can count on a hand. Maybe check the facts.
This. The rustling in this thread is hilarious. I honestly don’t think non-stars fans itt have watched roussel play for quite some time. Just laughable

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Well gosh, if a slash to the hand is the metric you're using, then Crosby must be the biggest cheap shot artist in the league. :sarcasm:

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
I didn't like the extra shots at the end when I was watching the game. I rewound it and originally thought the extra punches were due to Roussell pulling Thorburn's hair/beard in the :29-:45 range in that clip. Interestingly, the refs thought it deserved an instigator penalty on Roussell so I think it is fair to say he didn't give Thorburn a chance to square off fairly. Still don't like seeing a guy taking punches on the ice but I feel like he probably deserved it since I haven't seen this out of Thorburn frequently.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Roussel is a dirty player, he gets what he deserves, he's not just a "pest" as you say. There are pests that are mostly clean, Roussel is not one of them, he has put people in danger in the past and even in this play he TRIED to do that with Thorburn.

People like you really sicken me (and anyone defending him), reciprocation is a GOLDEN LAW, you reap what you sow. People like you would rather he run around gooning it up and having nothing dirty ever happen to him back because ofc the goon shouldn't be gooned back, God forbid he get a taste of his own medicine.

If people honestly took your logic to it's conclusion, society would be run by criminals, pirates and parasites.

Western societies are already run by "my logic". We have police and courts to deal with criminals. In hockey we have refs and the department of player safety filling the same functions. If Roussel is getting away with things, that's on them.

Sure, we allow players to fight and let the game police itself to an extent. But when one player has surrendered, and the refs have stepped in, the fight is over. That goes for any fighting sport, all which are more violent than hockey.

Then again, I'm not sure why I bother trying to have a serious discussion with anyone who think they know people and call them sickening based one one forum post, which was quite harmless to begin with. I jumped off the excavator in my sandbox some time ago.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Western societies are already run by "my logic". We have police and courts to deal with criminals. In hockey we have refs and the department of player safety filling the same functions. If Roussel is getting away with things, that's on them.

Sure, we allow players to fight and let the game police itself to an extent. But when one player has surrendered, and the refs have stepped in, the fight is over. That goes for any fighting sport, all which are more violent than hockey.

Then again, I'm not sure why I bother trying to have a serious discussion with anyone who think they know people and call them sickening based one one forum post, which was quite harmless to begin with. I jumped off the excavator in my sandbox some time ago.

People don't take your logic to it's conclusion though, it's a half measure where we pretend that criminals can be rehabilitated because we feel bad for killing them, your logic to it's conclusion is to let criminals run around without consequence.

But when one player has surrendered

General rules are great, however Roussel is a special POS and even within this sequence he behaved as such. It blows my mind that you think that not just someone with a history, but someone who further acted upon his scumbag reputation shouldn't deal with scumbag tactics himself. No you don't punch everyone when they're down, but someone who has endangered others and someone who endangers even YOU should get that treatment.

Then again, I'm not sure why I bother trying to have a serious discussion with anyone who think they know people and call them sickening based one one forum post

These were YOUR words:

but many posts in this thread sickens me.

And let's not act like you weren't implying what we all know you were.

And what you said wasn't harmless, POS like Roussel should 100% be treated like that until they clean up their game, same thing for other scumbag rats.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
People don't take your logic to it's conclusion though, it's a half measure where we pretend that criminals can be rehabilitated because we feel bad for killing them, your logic to it's conclusion is to let criminals run around without consequence.

But when one player has surrendered

General rules are great, however Roussel is a special POS and even within this sequence he behaved as such. It blows my mind that you think that not just someone with a history, but someone who further acted upon his ******* reputation shouldn't deal with ******* tactics himself. No you don't punch everyone when they're down, but someone who has endangered others and someone who endangers even YOU should get that treatment.

Then again, I'm not sure why I bother trying to have a serious discussion with anyone who think they know people and call them sickening based one one forum post

These were YOUR words:

but many posts in this thread sickens me.

And let's not act like you weren't implying what we all know you were.

And what you said wasn't harmless, POS like Roussel should 100% be treated like that until they clean up their game, same thing for other ******* rats.

In this 'sequence' Thorburn starts it as much as Roussel does, before turning or getting spinned around. He did let Thorburn turn around again before they started throwing. Not saying that Roussel is some kind of saint, but your daily crosscheck to the lower back is dirtier than whatever he did in this sequence.

There's a distinct differance between calling posts sickening and calling people sickening. Let's not act like you know what I'm implying or not. No matter if the discussion is about hockey or politics, I'm very much capable of seperating people from their opinions, thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad