Player Discussion Thomas Vanek

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Would love to extend Vanek IF we could ship a couple of Sutter, Eriksson or Gagner away... With the young talent on this team, can't have all these middling 30+ year olds on 3+ year contracts.

Vanek's adaptability to different linemates and his consistency makes him a piece that could hold a spot in our top 6 for at least a year or two.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I think it would be a big mistake to sign him to an extension unless it was only 1 or 2 years at a similar cap hit to what he currently has. He turns 34 years old in a few weeks, and I think people are judging him way too much on just the past few games (where he has 10 points in 4 games).

We should absolutely be looking to trade him for futures at/before the deadline in my opinion. We need to make room for guys like Pettersson and possibly Gaudette next season, especially if we're bringing back the Sedins for another year. If he happens to be in another situation where he's looking for a contract late in the off-season and we have room for him in the top 9, then throw another cheap 1 year contract at him.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think it would be a big mistake to sign him to an extension unless it was only 1 or 2 years at a similar cap hit to what he currently has. He turns 34 years old in a few weeks, and I think people are judging him way too much on just the past few games (where he has 10 points in 4 games).

We should absolutely be looking to trade him for futures at/before the deadline in my opinion. We need to make room for guys like Pettersson and possibly Gaudette next season, especially if we're bringing back the Sedins for another year. If he happens to be in another situation where he's looking for a contract late in the off-season and we have room for him in the top 9, then throw another cheap 1 year contract at him.

This, this a thousand times this.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
I've enjoyed having him on the team and it's clear he's a skilled player that can still play. However I would defnitley flip him at the deadline and I think at this point a 2nd round pick shouldn't be asking too much.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Guy has a couple good games and now we're talking extension, Jesus Christ.

Wouldn't surprise me if Benning was thinking about re-signing TV. Vanek is looking for a retirement deal. He's already been bought out from his last 3 year deal, sold for scraps when on a 60~ point pace and forced into taking a 1 year 'show me' contract when no one wanted him. Vanek knows how difficult it will be to land a 3 year deal anywhere. The league does not value him anymore.

This puts VAN in a strong position to negotiate. Benning helped draft Vanek. Knows him. Values his offense. A Gagner-esque deal would allow Benning to retain his 50/60~ point offense at a reduced cap-hit.

Nothing to do with use liking/not liking the player. All about retaining goal scoring on the cheap. I think they pursue it if he keeps going like this.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
I really, really doubt he would extend in Vancouver for a number of good reasons, or even care about another contract anywhere unless it was for an average 40-50 pt , 15 -20 goal type salary for a few years. He is a family guy. That appears to be why he walked away from JT and all that chemistry and made that horrible decision to go to Min. for far less money. After reading some of the posts here about him over this season I am amazed about how much misinformation is out there .
"A few good games" Look at who he has been playing with in the last 20-30 and then look at his numbers, all while trying to find chemistry in a new system,with new linemates ,new demands, fewer o zone starts, no 4x4,3x3, reduced pp time, and third line minutes. How many grade A scoring chances over the past 20-30 did he create with his IQ and hands where the puck was not buried. What does a fan here expect from a 2 mil third line winger ?

Last night there was more room for him for a number of reasons, Brock being one . Hard to mark both of them and their d has to get honorable mention also. Leave him unmarked and he kills you with both his passing and goals. The guy who really surprised me last night was Sam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo and DL44

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wasn't a fan of the signing but like I said in response to those who called him a garbage player, he has done everything that we could have reasonably expect from him.

With that said, I would trade him. If he keeps it up and is later brought back for another year that's fine. I will check and see what his relationship is like with Boeser. While I think Boeser is a stud, there might be a time when Boeser does struggle and having a guy like Vanek can help. He can also convince him that going home may not be the best decision one can make. The hockey world has been down on Vanek the past few years but people forget that Vanek has been a top 10 goal scorer in his prime. I would love to see him go to a playoff team and produce in the playoffs showing that you can win with him.

I really, really doubt he would extend in Vancouver for a number of good reasons, or even care about another contract anywhere unless it was for an average 40-50 pt , 15 -20 goal type salary for a few years. He is a family guy. That appears to be why he walked away from JT and all that chemistry and made that horrible decision to go to Min. for far less money. After reading some of the posts here about him over this season I am amazed about how much misinformation is out there .

I agree with your post except I can see him re-signing (although maybe not extending). I just don't see him having too many options out there unless he goes to another team and produces in the playoffs. His value has really gone down after his stint in Minnesota and then Florida and he's now reaching an age where a player like him needs to produce a lot offensively to stay in the NHL.

I think if the chance to win isn't there he will probably want to stay in a situation where he has developed some comfort and familiarity. There's a difference between signing a one year contract to go to a new team to prove himself and returning to a team that wanted him back for another year.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Nobody called him a garbage player.

You would be a lot more pursuasive if you didn't constantly make up windmills to tilt at.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
He's super entertaining to watch and is Benning's best pro scouting acquisition to date.

That said, giving Vanek a multi-year extension would be ridiculous. The guy is essentially this era's Alex Kovalev.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Bad news for you: you need to win these "meaningless" games in order for future games to become meaningful...
To make the playoffs, we will need to play like the best team in the league for the remainder of the season. It's not going to happen.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

I think its also important to have some veteran presence in the team to help out our rookies and raise the bar for competition. Vanek who can play on almost every line can provide that support to our youngster next season.

On top of that, how much of a return can you expect from Vanek anyways? Third or fourth round? If the return is that low, maybe its worth it to keep him.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I think its also important to have some veteran presence in the team to help out our rookies and raise the bar for competition. Vanek who can play on almost every line can provide that support to our youngster next season.

On top of that, how much of a return can you expect from Vanek anyways? Third or fourth round? If the return is that low, maybe its worth it to keep him.
The problem is that he doesn't really provide support for our youngsters. We need reliable vets that can take tougher defensive matchups so we aren't forcing our offensively gifted prospects to take on 3rd/4th line grinder roles. If we didn't have someone like Gagner locked up then I'd be far more open to bringing him back, and it doesn't help that the Sedins are also taking on that kind of soft/easy minutes role.

Reactions: Vancouver_2010

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
I wasn't a fan of the signing but like I said in response to those who called him a garbage player, he has done everything that we could have reasonably expect from him.

With that said, I would trade him. If he keeps it up and is later brought back for another year that's fine. I will check and see what his relationship is like with Boeser. While I think Boeser is a stud, there might be a time when Boeser does struggle and having a guy like Vanek can help. He can also convince him that going home may not be the best decision one can make. The hockey world has been down on Vanek the past few years but people forget that Vanek has been a top 10 goal scorer in his prime. I would love to see him go to a playoff team and produce in the playoffs showing that you can win with him.

I agree with your post except I can see him re-signing (although maybe not extending). I just don't see him having too many options out there unless he goes to another team and produces in the playoffs. His value has really gone down after his stint in Minnesota and then Florida and he's now reaching an age where a player like him needs to produce a lot offensively to stay in the NHL.

I think if the chance to win isn't there he will probably want to stay in a situation where he has developed some comfort and familiarity. There's a difference between signing a one year contract to go to a new team to prove himself and returning to a team that wanted him back for another year.

Thanks.. and i agree with yours

For the record , for other posters benifit,in his first MIN season , playing in a defensive system /big mistake) and no first line time, 52 pts 21 goals (Zach had 33/62 with all the right minutes and starts). Second season, after playing with double sports hernias in the prior season he gets operated on and in his second season 18 goals (4th) 41 pts (7th). He becomes the sick puppy for the teams lack of success. Could not be the coach or the team structure or scheme. (The coach becomes the sick puppy the next season)

his history
-he refused to sign a huge contract extension in buffalo and left
-turned down another huge deal on LI where he and JT were the hottest line in the NHL (big mistake)
-announced he would not sign with Montreal three days after being traded to them. That did not go over well in swelled head Montreal and especially with the coach ( was third in playoff goals there despite being on the crap list lol
- signs in min for less than other offers (another career level mistake)
- goes to Detroit on their second/third line for 2mil and puts up near a pt a game playing with speed btw they cannot resign him because they are in cap hell
- traded to florida for 20 games puts up 10 pts in another defensive system playing with ??????????????. they miss the playoffs

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Thanks.. and i agree with yours

For the record , for other posters benifit,in his first MIN season , playing in a defensive system /big mistake) and no first line time, 52 pts 21 goals (Zach had 33/62 with all the right minutes and starts). Second season, after playing with double sports hernias in the prior season he gets operated on and in his second season 18 goals (4th) 41 pts (7th). He becomes the sick puppy for the teams lack of success. Could not be the coach or the team structure or scheme. (The coach becomes the sick puppy the next season)

his history
-he refused to sign a huge contract extension in buffalo and left
-turned down another huge deal on LI where he and JT were the hottest line in the NHL (big mistake)
-announced he would not sign with Montreal three days after being traded to them. That did not go over well in swelled head Montreal and especially with the coach ( was third in playoff goals there despite being on the crap list lol
- signs in min for less than other offers (another career level mistake)
- goes to Detroit on their second/third line for 2mil and puts up near a pt a game playing with speed btw they cannot resign him because they are in cap hell
- traded to florida for 20 games puts up 10 pts in another defensive system playing with ??????????????. they miss the playoffs

Could you add some sources for the claims you are making?

Especially relating to his ice-time / linemates and him refusing to sign said contracts.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
This was a heck of a September signing. The trade deadline is Monday, February 26, 2018 . . . less than a month away.

As of January 31, 2018, Connor McDavid Has a Points Per 60 of 3.08 (27th in NHL). Thomas Vanek Has a Points Per 60 of 3.07 (28th in NHL). Vanek has an AAV of $2 million and has been one of VAN's top three forwards this season.

In terms of Points Per 60, Vanek is ahead of players such as Filip Forsberg (3.05), Jonathan Huberdeau (3.02), Patrice Bergeron (2.98), Brayden Schenn (2.97), Patrick Kane (2.95), William Karlsson (2.94), Evgeny Kuznetsov (2.93), Auston Matthews (2.92), Jack Eichel (2.90) and Alexander Radulov (2.89). He has been very impressive -- a creative, productive player who has really stepped up in a mentor role. The team has been more entertaining to watch this season because of him as well.

He has been one of the most pleasant surprises of the season for the Vancouver Canucks next to Brock Boeser.

It's also worth noting that 81% of his points are primary points.

wqmICQp.jpg

900093054.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This was a heck of a September signing. The trade deadline is Monday, February 26, 2018 . . . less than a month away.

None of us knows how many more games Vanek will play as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. It has been a pleasure to have him as a Canuck this season -- a real treat.

LVzP4SF.jpg

900093054.jpg.jpg

Off topic, but it still triggers me knowing that we could have gotten Anaheim to throw in Perrault in the Kesler trade. The guy didn’t even receive a qualifying offer from the Ducks so he had zero value to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad