Player Discussion Thomas Vanek

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I haven't hated him. As a bad team, I'd rather an offensive player vs a lesser skilled grinder who provides equal value. As far as the deadline, it'll come down to luck. If a strong team loses a skilled winger to injury, maybe they give us a 3rd, whatever.

Reactions: vancityluongo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I said this in one of the GDTs, but will say again how much watching him play reminds me of old, former great soccer players like Dennis Bergkamp and Carlos Valdarrama at age 36-37, where they seemed to jog around completely uselessly and slower than molasses for most of game and you'd wonder why they were there, and then they'd pull one moment of pure genius out of the bag at a key point.

Vanek looks like crap 95% of the time but once or twice/game shows the skills that at one point made him arguably the most dangerous sniper in the NHL outside of Ovechkin.

As a fan, he's fun to watch on that account and adds some scoring depth in sheltered minutes. If I was a GM of a playoff team, would I trade anything significant to add this player to my roster? Absolutely not.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hate this player. I do not expect him back beyond this year. Just a complete merc floater.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Slapshot Vanek in the top-6 > Megna. This team is sinking fast, so it's not like there are actually playoff consequences at stake here. Would much rather have an interesting enigma than some run of the mill grinder that would be trying 400% higher and generating a similar lack of results.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Slapshot Vanek in the top-6 > Megna. This team is sinking fast, so it's not like there are actually playoff consequences at stake here. Would much rather have an interesting enigma than some run of the mill grinder that would be trying 400% higher and generating a similar lack of results.
Or what about Goldobin or Rodin? At least you can say they're getting a chance out of the AHL that way, maybe one or the other shows a bit of life.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Or what about Goldobin or Rodin? At least you can say they're getting a chance out of the AHL that way, maybe one or the other shows a bit of life.

Well, yeah. Goldobin being on the roster would be ideal, but I suppose if we rule out that option and look at it as Vanek vs Megna... I find one much more interesting to watch than the other.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah I can't really see teams banging down the doors to pick up Vanek for their playoff run.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Vanek is what you call a placeholder

If he is back next year, that means the prospects still aren't ready

Or, that Benning still misjudges their readiness.

There's a certain of pain required to make a gain with prospects. Goldobin was in that situation this year. He should have been on the roster. If both he and Vanek have troubles away from the puck, what is the difference in exchanging one for the other?

I still think the Vanek signing was made by a GM who is desperate to keep his job. He was reaching for anything that could help the team now.

Reactions: tyhee and sting101

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Umm and if he gets us a 3rd rounder and allows us to promote Goldie .......I’d say that’s a win
Yeah, two things about that.

A) Benning never trades roster players for draft picks. The only times he has ever done that he immediately flipped the pick for Vey or threw the pick he got for Bieksa into the Sutter deal. He literally has never traded a player for a pick and actually used it to draft someone. Never.

B) Vanek isn't allowing us to promote Goldobin. He occupies a roster spot that Goldobin could. That's the opposite of promoting.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I said this in one of the GDTs, but will say again how much watching him play reminds me of old, former great soccer players like Dennis Bergkamp and Carlos Valdarrama at age 36-37, where they seemed to jog around completely uselessly and slower than molasses for most of game and you'd wonder why they were there, and then they'd pull one moment of pure genius out of the bag at a key point.

I don't need much excuse to look at this again
giphy.gif

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hopefully a GM is a clueless statwatcher and Vanek continues his scoring pace. He is an extremely deceiving player - clearly has the offensive upside but gives zero effort.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

There's a certain of pain required to make a gain with prospects. Goldobin was in that situation this year. He should have been on the roster. If both he and Vanek have troubles away from the puck, what is the difference in exchanging one for the other?

I still think the Vanek signing was made by a GM who is desperate to keep his job. He was reaching for anything that could help the team now.
yes it kinda disgusts me that the line that we use as a sheltered offensive group is a bunch of cast off hacks that are taking away ice from Virtanen and Goldobin.

There was no way that they needed to add Vanek to the group that they had already signed. I actually haven't minded his game so far but i just know that the reasons why no one wanted these guys is about to become clearer as the season wears on.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009

If Goldy was in the majors, his leash would be even shorter

He's still young, he can still be molded. If you let him play with one mistake after another, then that creates bad habits

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully a GM is a clueless statwatcher and Vanek continues his scoring pace. He is an extremely deceiving player - clearly has the offensive upside but gives zero effort.
Yes, Vanek's value to the Canucks will be borne out at the trade deadline.....if he has a nice bounce-back season some GM desperate for playoff depth scoring will take a bit of the bait......then his ultimate value will be what Jimbo can parlay him into in terms of draft picks....but I'm sure the Wings had the same idea at least year's deadline but settled for d-man Dylan McIlrath and a conditioner third rounder....But I'd be more than happy with a prospect and a pick at this year's deadline.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
That's not how it works. You aren't going to see an NHL look at a statline and think, well, he's scored 15 goals, so he'll help us score without considering context :(

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Meh he's not near the top of my list of problems with the team.

Plus he's good for a couple hilarious moments per game where you're left wondering what the heck he was doing during a play.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I'm thinking Gagne and Vanek are Sedin replacements, in the event of a long term injury? The remaining Sedin can carry on. So, Eriksson, Sedin and Vanek or Sedin, Gagne and Vanek. This was modeled last Summer before the emergence of some prospects. It's a prudent stance if you are trying to wring the last possible bit of value from the twins.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I'm thinking Gagne and Vanek are Sedin replacements, in the event of a long term injury? The remaining Sedin can carry on. So, Eriksson, Sedin and Vanek or Sedin, Gagne and Vanek. This was modeled last Summer before the emergence of some prospects. It's a prudent stance if you are trying to wring the last possible bit of value from the twins.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
If Goldy was in the majors, his leash would be even shorter

He's still young, he can still be molded. If you let him play with one mistake after another, then that creates bad habits
What is this kick you're on about letting the kids pick up bad habits? Following the Canucks it's easy to forget sometimes the kids might actually be better than the warmed-over vets. This has happened in other places, you know.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
One of my favorite players back in the day. In buffalo he was so damn fun and entertaining to watch, but now he is the most hit or miss player I have ever seen.

Hes either incredible or absolutely invisible, no middle ground what so ever.

Reactions: AlexEdler23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad