Confirmed with Link: Thomas Traded to Islanders

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Now they can take on an expiring contract from a seller, or they could even take on a guy with years remaining and just burn a compliance buyout after the season.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
TSN has confirmed the deal:

The Boston Bruins have traded goaltender Tim Thomas to the New York Islanders in exchange for a conditional draft pick in 2014 or 2015.

Thomas announced last summer that he was taking a year off from hockey.

Thomas is in the final year of his current contract, which carries a $5 million cap hit for the 2012-13 season. The no-movement clause that is a part of the deal expired last July 1.

The 38-year-old went 35-19-1 with a 2.36 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage this past season. In the playoffs, he had a 2.14 GAA and a .923 save percentage. Boston lost in seven games to Washington in the first round.

Thomas won the 2009 and 2011 Vezina Trophy, and has a 196-121-45 record and 2.48 GAA in 378 career games with the Bruins. In 50 postseason games, he holds a 29-21 mark with a 2.07 GAA.

Thomas won the 2011 Conn Smythe Trophy after leading Boston to its first Stanley Cup title since 1972.

More to follow.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I thought the floor was $44m this year? Isles are at 49..

Maybe I have my numbers wrong.

what i find more entertaining is how many times you mentioned that nobody would trade for tim thomas. guess you wuz wrong about that. your opinions are opinions. shouldn't be broadcasted as fact.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
All I can say is thanks for everything, Timmy. Easily my second favorite Bruin of all time, and by far the most exciting I've ever watched.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I thought the floor was $44m this year? Isles are at 49..

Maybe I have my numbers wrong.

Something to do with Visnovsky possibly not reporting and being suspended in which case he wouldn't count cap wise. Thomas is on the books regardless and is insurance in case they have to suspend Lubo.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Such a sad ending to his career as a Bruin. I simply don't care about guys political views, and I don't resent him for his decision to step away from the game. I'll always be grateful for what he did as a Bruin.

Let's never forget one thing....nobody battled harder to achieve greatness as a Bruin than Tim Thomas did. He was never handed anything by anyone, and had to prove the doubters wrong at every level. If/when my son asks me about his career, I'll make sure he understands that TT proved that as long as you believe you're good enough, then it doesn't matter what everyone else says about you.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Such a sad ending to his career as a Bruin. I simply don't care about guys political views, and I don't resent him for his decision to step away from the game. I'll always be grateful for what he did as a Bruin.

Let's never forget one thing....nobody battled harder to achieve greatness as a Bruin than Tim Thomas did. He was never handed anything by anyone, and had to prove the doubters wrong at every level. If/when my son asks me about his career, I'll make sure he understands that TT proved that as long as you believe you're good enough, then it doesn't matter what everyone else says about you.

In the end, this is actually a better end than him retiring because he's off the books. I hope he retires, because it killed me to watch Bledsoe and Pedro Martinez struggle at the end and I put Thomas in that same group in terms of my all time favorites.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Thank you for everything Tim Thomas. You were a great goalie for the Bruins, and I would not bet against being a great goalie for your next team. As others have said, this helps with the cap short term. I am not in the know obviously lol, but would be interested to hear from someone whether this is a precursor to another move. I doubt it. If my math is right this and one other cap dump will take us from 68.8 to 64 or less, and will make us cap compliant for nextyear.

Thomas's contract runs out this summer. He'd be off the books regardless.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
So curious what the next move is. A couple of people have mentioned Iginla. I can barely sit still when I think of that. Not gonna get my hopes up... not gonna do it!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
LOL Felger just reported my numbers, maybe he is reading this.

Hi Mikey

PolishBingo

King Pierogie IV
Jan 9, 2006
I still remember that game in Edmonton on HNIC and I was like Tim Thomas who? Hope he signs with the Isle so we get the pick. No hard feelings toward the guy. He brought us the Cup. Best of luck to him.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Conditional pick - Thomas won't play, we won't get anything.

No offense but you routinely bum me out with these sorts of posts.

Good luck TT. If we get a 2nd that's awesome. I'm just glad he's off our cap as it truly appears he wasn't going to play in Boston.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
The Boston Bruins only get a draft pick from the Islanders for Tim Thomas if he reports to them or any other team if NYI trade his rights.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Let's never forget one thing....nobody battled harder to achieve greatness as a Bruin than Tim Thomas did.

Don't forget about Taz.

tumblr_lzkstovgB01qm5o0wo1_400.jpg

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

Yeap. He earned every drop of respect he got. I am actually quite sad that this is appears to be the final Tim Thomas bruin tenure. Alas, the day was coming.

Hail to thee Mr Thomas! You kicked ass.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

I beg to differ, I think nobody battled as hard as Terry O'Reilly to achieve greatness as a Bruin.

Tim Thomas was probably the better player but O'Reilly was the guy who worked himself from being a goon to being a top 10 scorer and heart and soul of the Bruins.

Let's not forget that.

Thomas was great, I am not saying that in any kind of attempt to downplay him, I will never forget what Thomas did for the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00