Confirmed with Link: Thomas Greiss 2 Year Deal

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Greiss and Bernier are a solid, maybe not spectacular duo but should bring stability, especially if we can add one more NHL level defensemen. We arent going to the playoffs but the talent level still has got an uptick.

We should go from 40 point pace to 66 point pace just based on goaltending.
If we get some luck with health, maybe 75 points.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Bernier, since about December of last year, has provided halfway decent goaltending.
Griess's numbers are going to decline in Detroit. I wouldn't count on him besting what Bernier did last year.
Thank you for countering what had been an unacceptable level of optimism and positivity.

Reactions: Crunchy

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
Bernier, since about December of last year, has provided halfway decent goaltending.
Griess's numbers are going to decline in Detroit. I wouldn't count on him besting what Bernier did last year.

Didn't mean to rag on Bernier, excited I don't have to watch Howard another year. To even see half way decent goal tending between the two will be a nice change.

Reactions: RedMenace and MBH

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Solid deal.
We needed a goalie.

Why do you think the deal is structured this way?
Is Chris Ilitch trying to limit salaries this year?

I’d say the structure is win win and we’re seeing it all across the league.

ownership saves some money in a year when revenue is uncertain but it’s also beneficial for the player. Players want it because of the significant escrow numbers.

Escrow for this year is 20% then 18 % then 10 before falling to 6. A backloaded contract gets the player significantly more money

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Solid deal.
We needed a goalie.

Wild ass guesses:
  • Bernier's deal comes off the books after this year so you keep goalie salaries below $6m. No idea why, just a WAG. Then you pay Greiss the following year when you have a goalie on an ELC.
  • Revenue has been very wobbly, we are not a good hockey team, and we have no idea what the upcoming season will look like, so they are being conservative

The moment of truth will be whether there is the opportunity to get a good player coming into their prime or a really good draft pick to take a cap dump and whether or not they balk. That would indicate they don't want to spend money even when there is a clear incentive to do so. To be clear, adding a good young player would have zero downside, while taking a cap dump may not be as much of a clear-cut benefit if the pick ends up being near the end of the first round or in the back half of the second round.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Solid deal.
We needed a goalie.

Yeah, I bet it has to do with saving cash during the pandemic.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't like how a lot of our moves this year seemed aimed at saving Chris Illitch money. Sure Fleury costs twice as much, but we'd add real assets in that deal. Abdelkader could be buried in the AHL and then we wouldn't have the buyout affecting our cap in years that we might need it. Turris got bought out, we likely could have taken him with a sweetener. Each of these would have added real assets to the team and helped us get better in the future... But they'd cost the team money in a year we're not likely to make much. I get why the owner wouldn't want to do that, but as a fan I don't care about his pocket book. I want the team to win and I would much rather have Fleury and a 2nd round pick than Greiss. I'd rather bury Abdelkader than have him costing us money in 5 years. I'd rather take on more mediocre players with picks attached than sign Bobby Ryan and John Merrill.

The contract for Greiss is fine though.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
On one hand I love it, on the other I was really hoping we traded for MAF/1st round pick. Oh well, my guess is he put us on his no trade list.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I was hoping we could pry demko out for a long term solution, but that dream died when they signed holtby. This is a good plan B.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So this means we just take the cap hit for Vegas on MAF in a 3 team deal, but don't get the player?

Send a 1st our way, and I'd be ok with that.

Vegas is fine and not doing anything anymore. Going with 2 strong goalies and traded Stastny to solve the cap. Cody Glass is the full time center next year.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I can get behind this.

Have to give the Team/younger players a chance to win and improve the environment.

If they play their brains out and have a great game... they deserve the winning feeling.

nothing morally crushing like losing 5-4 and 3 of them were softies.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
He's no spring chicken, but he might be alright for another season or two.

Considering the pandemic and remembering that, for example, Boston's goalie walked out mid playoffs due relevant concerns, the next season will likely be very different. I, for one, am glad to see the Red Wings thinking in that context.

Also, I can't imagine that his play in 2020-21, if there is a 2020-21 season, won't be an improvement over how Jimmy Howard played not only last season but the season before last. Albeit, it's hard not to improve over Jimmy Howard's play last season, and I'm not trying to get smart, it's just what seems like reality to me.

I can live with this.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I don't like how a lot of our moves this year seemed aimed at saving Chris Illitch money. Sure Fleury costs twice as much, but we'd add real assets in that deal. Abdelkader could be buried in the AHL and then we wouldn't have the buyout affecting our cap in years that we might need it. Turris got bought out, we likely could have taken him with a sweetener. Each of these would have added real assets to the team and helped us get better in the future... But they'd cost the team money in a year we're not likely to make much. I get why the owner wouldn't want to do that, but as a fan I don't care about his pocket book. I want the team to win and I would much rather have Fleury and a 2nd round pick than Greiss. I'd rather bury Abdelkader than have him costing us money in 5 years. I'd rather take on more mediocre players with picks attached than sign Bobby Ryan and John Merrill.

The contract for Greiss is fine though.
Who is to say we can’t have both, assets for Fleury’s cap hit on our books, AND Greiss? Vegas is in on Pietrangelo hard right now- if he gets serious about signing there, Vegas is absolutely going to have to make a deal to make the cap situation work. I bet there’s something lined up involving Fleury but Vegas isn’t going to pull the trigger unless they absolutely know they need to give up those assets. If they pulled the trigger on a deal and then lose out on their guy, they’re out a good goaltender, a high draft pick / asset, and now have a bunch of cap space.

just a thought! Detroit could still be a middle man in a deal.

Reactions: 14ari13

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Vegas is fine and not doing anything anymore. Going with 2 strong goalies and traded Stastny to solve the cap. Cody Glass is the full time center next year.

Yesterday afternoon all reports were that Vegas were shopping MAF + half of his salary retained with a 2nd round pick. Did new reports come out? Or are you speculating?

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Or swap goalies with the team acquiring MAF.
Bernier to VGK, MAF to CAR/COL/EDM, Mrazek/Francouz/Koskinen here for a host of prospects + picks.

That actually makes sense, never even thought of it. Detroit could easily trade Bernier with half is salary retained for MAF at full salary + a 1st. Win-Win. Gives Vegas a ton of cap with a great backup at dirt cheap, gives us a great goalie to play with Griess, plus a 1st.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Solid deal.
We needed a goalie.

Makes him harder to trade in year 2. Greiss probably wanted to be in Detroit for 2 years without being moved at the deadline to become a backup. He wants to show he can be a starter than hit UFA again for a bigger pay day. Salary above cap hit is a good way to deter a deadline deal next year id think.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
On one hand I love it, on the other I was really hoping we traded for MAF/1st round pick. Oh well, my guess is he put us on his no trade list.

I want this too... But not to play MAF.
I want to get assets from Vegas AND assets from a 2nd team, and they get MAF at 3.5M.

Reactions: kliq

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Also, because he has the ability to bail us out at times and work miracles he’s been known as Jesus Greiss

upload_2020-10-10_13-25-58.jpeg

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Good move I think Bernier and Griess might complement each other pretty well for some stability in net. So excited to see a season without Howard.

Reactions: RedMenace and MBH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad