Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Injuries are largely random. For instance, Chabot went out last night with an "upper body injury", probably a slightly separated shoulder. How are you supposed to better train a shoulder joint for getting a hit at high speed from an NHL player? It all just depends on the angle you get hit at, etc.

Crosby is my favourite example of a guy who just had a run of bad luck on injuries. 12 years ago or so, when he was dealing all of his concussion issues, everyone was speculating that he was going to have to retire early. He only played about 60 games spread out over two seasons at one point, and it looked like his career was in trouble. Dude is now 37, played in almost every game for the last two seasons, and is playing some of the best hockey of his career.

Chabot had a tough season on the injury front, no doubt about that. A year ago, it was Chychrun we were hanging the "injury prone" tag on. A little perspective might be helpful here...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think Chabot is the better D of the two, but not by a huge amount.

Not sure if Andlauer will be thrilled to pay him a 9.4M average annual salary over his remaining 4 years, even if his cap hit is "only" 8M.

If Chychrun can be locked up on a similar term for a fair bit less than that, wouldn't surprise me if Chabot is the guy who gets moved.
Honestly I think a huge part of the decision will come down to group dynamics.

Chabot is probably the most popular guy on the team. He hosts all the informal team events (Super Bowl, Halloween, etc), he's a friendly and charming guy, he is dedicated but humble and easy-going... he cares about his teammates and seems to take the role of off-ice glue guy very seriously.

Chychrun is intense, cocky, moody, contemplative, and emotional. He's a bit more of a lone wolf and is certainly not easy-going.

Both of these personality profile are gross oversimplifications, and neither personality profile/ their role within the group is necessarily better than the other. But what does this group need? What does Brady need? Does he need Chabot, who takes a load off of him and helps keep the group at an even-keel, or does he need Chychrun, who will voice his frustrations, show his emotions, and get in a teammates face?

Since these are oversimplifications, I don't think any of us can say (unless we have friends on the team or something). But I suspect there will be long, intense meetings discussing exactly this.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Feels like we would have to pay a team to move Chabot. And we can't afford to do that so the choice is made.

Who the hell wants an underperforming, chronically injured, porous defensive player they would have to pay 10 m too?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Chychrun or Chabot - either can go (but not both) to make room for a proper, shutdown type top-4 RD. Chabot is injury prone and his defensive growth was curtailed under DJ hockey, Chychrun played all 82 but has had some horrible moments and his play recently improved but it was inconsistent. Thank Alfie for Sanderson and Zub on pair 1.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Injuries are largely random. For instance, Chabot went out last night with an "upper body injury", probably a slightly separated shoulder. How are you supposed to better train a shoulder joint for getting a hit at high speed from an NHL player? It all just depends on the angle you get hit at, etc.

Crosby is my favourite example of a guy who just had a run of bad luck on injuries. 12 years ago or so, when he was dealing all of his concussion issues, everyone was speculating that he was going to have to retire early. He only played about 60 games spread out over two seasons at one point, and it looked like his career was in trouble. Dude is now 37, played in almost every game for the last two seasons, and is playing some of the best hockey of his career.

Chabot had a tough season on the injury front, no doubt about that. A year ago, it was Chychrun we were hanging the "injury prone" tag on. A little perspective might be helpful here...
While yes Injuries can by random, for sure no disagreement. But being in shape helps prevent them a great deal, same with how you treat your body from a nutrition and sleep standpoint. I dont think he does any of these things.

The consistent tell is that he always has slow starts and bad training camps. Now you have a coach calling him out to be stronger.... While not everything is in his control he has done very little to help himself. We know this was never an issue for Crosby. Now he is having the best season a 36 year old has ever had. There is no lack of dedication from him.

If there are any takers id trade both Chabot and Chychrun and target Buium in the draft. He is basically Sanderson 2.0 from what he is going to bring to the table. He is a little smoother maybe some more offense but he has air tight defense with probably less physicality.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
While yes Injuries can by random, for sure no disagreement. But being in shape helps prevent them a great deal, same with how you treat your body from a nutrition and sleep standpoint. I dont think he does any of these things.

The consistent tell is that he always has slow starts and bad training camps. Now you have a coach calling him out to be stronger.... While not everything is in his control he has done very little to help himself. We know this was never an issue for Crosby. Now he is having the best season a 36 year old has ever had. There is no lack of dedication from him.

If there are any takers id trade both Chabot and Chychrun and target Buium in the draft. He is basically Sanderson 2.0 from what he is going to bring to the table. He is a little smoother maybe some more offense but he has air tight defense with probably less physicality.
Does Buium need another year in NCAA in your opinion ?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If they go after Boone Jenner, I could see the BOS 1st being the main piece.

Not that I suggest we should burn picks with how few we have.

Most of the veterans/stars on Columbus have trade protection, or big underperforming contracts that nobody will take in anything other than a hockey trade for another big underperforming contract.

Getting a 1st+ for Jenner gives them some ammo to work with to retool. Whether John Davidson stays on as GM or someone else takes up the role, I highly doubt they will want to keep Jarmo's team as is.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm a Chabot fan, but I think Jacques calling him out to hit the weight room is fair game. Chabot is far from the only one - there are a bunch of guys in our core who need to get hungry this off-season in a big way. I know that when you have money it is tempting to spend the summer in Europe with the wife/girlfriend, go to the cottage, etc., but these guys are at a crossroads. Chabot, for instance, is no longer in his early 20s. He's now in his mid to late 20s and has never tasted the playoffs. Drake is 25 - Brady will turn 25 later this year. Time for these guys to shorten up the vacation big time and spend the rest of the time grinding in the gym and slamming nasty green seaweed protein shakes.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm a Chabot fan, but I think Jacques calling him out to hit the weight room is fair game. Chabot is far from the only one - there are a bunch of guys in our core who need to get hungry this off-season in a big way. I know that when you have money it is tempting to spend the summer in Europe with the wife/girlfriend, go to the cottage, etc., but these guys are at a crossroads. Chabot, for instance, is no longer in his early 20s. He's now in his mid to late 20s and has never tasted the playoffs. Drake is 25 - Brady will turn 25 later this year. Time for these guys to shorten up the vacation big time and spend the rest of the time grinding in the gym and slamming nasty green seaweed protein shakes.
Stu needs to do some power skating classes and develop some core strength. Go train with Crosby and MacKinnon and stop falling down.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Does Buium need another year in NCAA in your opinion ?
I think he's ready but maybe one year in the AHL might be best. he didnt get scored on the entire NCAA tournament. Thats insane when he is playing 26 to 38 minutes a night depending on if they went to overtime.

Stu needs to do some power skating classes and develop some core strength. Go train with Crosby and MacKinnon and stop falling down.
Difference there is Stu is 21 Chabot is 27.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think he's ready but maybe one year in the AHL might be best. he didnt get scored on the entire NCAA tournament. Thats insane when he is playing 26 to 38 minutes a night depending on if they went to overtime.

Difference there is Stu is 21 Chabot is 27.
These guys also LIKE going back. Which is strange but that’s NCAA culture.

Buium can be good with a really strong partner. Tanev/roy/pesce

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I’d prefer to draft a guy who we don’t already peg as needing a really strong partner.

Nothing about that screams Sanderson.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I’d prefer to draft a guy who we don’t already peg as needing a really strong partner.

Nothing about that screams Sanderson.
And yet you're a guy that thinks we should keep our 8AAV LD 😁

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Did Jacques actually call him out to hit the weight room?

Awesome to hear. The country club is over.

Reactions: Alex1234

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not sure the guys get it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And yet you're a guy that thinks we should keep our 8AAV LD 😁
Well, we already have him and I’m doubtful that the return on trading him would be better than he is. I often change my mind though so it would depend on the return.

Drafting a guy high in the draft who is described as needing a strong defender to play with is a problem to me, and different than keeping a guy we already have in my opinion.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I think Chabot is the better D of the two, but not by a huge amount.

Not sure if Andlauer will be thrilled to pay him a 9.4M average annual salary over his remaining 4 years, even if his cap hit is "only" 8M.

If Chychrun can be locked up on a similar term for a fair bit less than that, wouldn't surprise me if Chabot is the guy who gets moved.
I have it the opposite way. I think Chychrun is the better of the two. We all know what Chabot is. Hes a puck transporter and great passer. I don't ever see him being a hard nosed dman that can help you win consistently. Both have injury history but this is the best time to move Chabot and get out of the contract if we can.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, we already have him and I’m doubtful that the return on trading him would be better than he is. I often change my mind though so it would depend on the return.

Drafting a guy high in the draft who is described as needing a strong defender to play with is a problem to me, and different than keeping a guy we already have in my opinion.
I've come to the conclusion that we can't get to where we want to go with that contract on the books. He's just badly under playing the AAV

I've seen some imo ass backward comments that what we need is a capable 3rd pair so that we can allocate the hard minutes to the shutdown and 3rd pair guy leaving our big money D with the easiest left side minutes so he can dominate.

What you need at 8 AAV is a guy that you can throw out in any situation and think "he's got this" and at 27 years old, Chabot isn't and won't be that guy. JM's comment on the radio clip pumped up Sanderson and said Chabot has to go to the gym. Frankly I wish he hadn't said that because it probably craters his value a bit, but it appears to be the hard love truth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad