Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Trade Chychrun, sign Chabot's old partner Demelo. Give Chabby a stable partner, defined role, minutes in the 21-23 range. See if he can get his career back on track.
This is the answer.

Trading both just to run Bran in Chabby’s place would make us worse.

I would like to see Sandy, Chabby, Kleven on the left, then Zub, and two solid RD NHLers, with JBD as 7th D to continue his development at the NHL level.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
This is the way

If he doesn't put the work in during the off-season, doesn't play better defensively even with a more suitable partner, then you can try and move him in 2025.

Trying to move both Chyc and Chabot this off-season seems like too many moving parts to me. Value wise, I bet Chabot has pretty well none with his big contract.

Chyc should still have some after a decent offensive season, healthy the full year, and a year left at a good cap hit.

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If he doesn't put the work in during the off-season, doesn't play better defensively even with a more suitable partner, then you can try and move him in 2025.

Trying to move both Chyc and Chabot this off-season seems like too many moving parts to me. Value wise, I bet Chabot has pretty well none with his big contract.

Chyc should still have some after a decent offensive season, healthy the full year, and a year left at a good cap hit.
Chabot absolutely has value at his contract. Some folks have just turned on him in here.

Other teams would look at him and figure that we have had shit ownership, questionable GM’ing, and rookie coaching for most of his career, and know that they could get more out of him in a competent organization, and they would be correct in my opinion.

I bet he is much better/ more consistently good next season with a new coaching staff, some more veterans on the team, and a suitable partner who plays RD naturally.

It would be a mistake to trade him in my opinion.

Reactions: Frank8

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Chabot absolutely has value at his contract. Some folks have just turned on him in here.

Other teams would look at him and figure that we have had shit ownership, questionable GM’ing, and rookie coaching for most of his career, and know that they could get more out of him in a competent organization, and they would be correct in my opinion.

I bet he is much better/ more consistently good next season with a new coaching staff, some more veterans on the team, and a suitable partner who plays RD naturally.

It would be a mistake to trade him in my opinion.
Agreed. He's a good player in a bad org. We ruined him a bit.

Trade Chych instead. He's not putting in a consistent effort.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Agreed. He's a good player in a bad org. We ruined him a bit.

Trade Chych instead. He's not putting in a consistent effort.
Haha, it’s so hard to decide sometimes. Chych can look good and scores a lot…..

Chabby has a ton of injuries and has enough brain farts to have fans questioning his consistency.

Glad it’s not me making the call.

Reactions: Alex1234

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Haha, it’s so hard to decide sometimes. Chych can look good and scores a lot…..

Chabby has a ton of injuries and has enough brain farts to have fans questioning his consistency.

Glad it’s not me making the call.
Easy choice ...

I'll take the guy that looks good and scores alot over the guy that has a ton of injuries and has brain farts ...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That’s the problem though, Chych doesn’t often look good, in fact he look pretty bad in the D zone often enough.
I think you can win with one player like that. But I don’t think you can win with 2 players like that making as much as they are. Maybe even one making that much you can’t win with.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
That’s the problem though, Chych doesn’t often look good, in fact he look pretty bad in the D zone often enough.
It can't be easy playing thru 3 months of trade rumors, wonder how much that played on him and his game.

For Chabot it's like Pascal Leclaire, the guy just isn't available... what good is a guy in the press box ??

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I wonder if Chabot can pull a Chychrun though and train his body to be more durable in the off season.

Training definitly matters, and Chych changed his offseason routine to avoid being injured as often.

Now that it’s all over I’m just in popcorn eating mode now. I know stuff will happen, and I can’t wait for it all to start.

Nobody in the organization can be happy right now, except Jacque who gets a win in his final game as a head coach in the NHL, before moving back upstairs; he’s happy.

Reactions: bicboi64

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think Chabot is the better D of the two, but not by a huge amount.

Not sure if Andlauer will be thrilled to pay him a 9.4M average annual salary over his remaining 4 years, even if his cap hit is "only" 8M.

If Chychrun can be locked up on a similar term for a fair bit less than that, wouldn't surprise me if Chabot is the guy who gets moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad