OT: Thomas Chabot and Brady Tkachuk Young Guns rookie cards

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sorry for the delay, I trade mainly on 2 sites : SCF and HI. But there is many more actually, I took a 5 years break like I said before and now I'm kinda surprised to see how big this market is. I mean, PWCC on Ebay sells 100K$ cards on a regular basis. Check that link for their sales in the last 2 months (they do consignment)

Items for sale by pwcc_auctions | eBay

Send me a private message if you would like to join a trading sports card forum. I can refer you. It's a nice community. Most people are laid back and easy going.

Nice. I don't even have a Chabot YG yet lol. I haven't bought on Ebay yet, except a lot that I will re-sell and partially use as tradebait

Hey Papi, we traded before so maybe we should do it again :)

A lot of big cards get "stuck" on Upper Deck ePack these days. People open boxes online and the hits are kept in a warehouse/scanned to their account until they ship them to their home. People who want to get rid of hits sometimes don't move them out of their account, so there are some things like Sens high gloss Young Guns, 1/1, patch cards, etc that never see the light of day on eBay. A big problem with ePack is that outside of making some arrangement via PM with someone for them to sell you the card, you can only acquire cards via having cards. That means you have to break boxes to get started which unless you have ridiculous luck will probably erase 75 percent of whatever value you start trading with since boxes and packs return so little.

COMC.com is another place to look. There are actually really good deals sometimes. They have a working relationship with Upper Deck ePack, so when someone pulls hits and wants to sell them immediately, they get posted on COMC. If you are buying stuff to sell/trade, you might like COMC because you can buy underpriced cards and re-list them immediately at a different price. COMC is a giant warehouse that stores 1000's of sellers collections and scans/posts the items for sale. So you can buy cards from dozens of different sellers and only pay one shipping rate. You can also buy cards at different times and wait to have them all shipped together at once. It's a very useful service.

I find that most of the low numbered hits get posted to eBay right when a product releases. It's the only time I have ever seen a Batherson Young Guns High Gloss. People break more of a product when it first comes out, and most people aren't really collectors they are more into breaking packs so they throw everything up for sale right away. This is a double edge sword because stuff can be more expensive right when a product comes out, but if something is really low numbered it might be difficult to find later on.

Reactions: Big Papi

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Also you mentioned PWCC and your observation about how big cards have gotten.

There is a lot of sketchy stuff going on with PWCC, grading, etc. I won't summarize it here, but if you go to the Blowoutcard forum there is lots of info.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I picked up a Batherson YG ($6.00) and Tkachuk ($14.00) on comc, which seemed like OK deals. With COMC sometimes you get great deals the first few days things come out and people dump them on COMC from UD epack, but with items like Silver foils, YG, etc it might take a bit longer for the $ to go down. I have about 10,000 'Sens' cards. maybe about 4,000-5,000 of that are actually cards of people in Sens jerseys, vast majority are commons I'm sure. I collected any card of any player who was part of the Sens organization at any point. I don't care if its a Straka card in a Penguins jersey, or a Sens draft pick like Zanon who never played for the Sens or a prospect that was traded for and never panned out and didn't play in the NHL.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I picked up a Batherson YG ($6.00) and Tkachuk ($14.00) on comc, which seemed like OK deals. With COMC sometimes you get great deals the first few days things come out and people dump them on COMC from UD epack, but with items like Silver foils, YG, etc it might take a bit longer for the $ to go down. I have about 10,000 'Sens' cards. maybe about 4,000-5,000 of that are actually cards of people in Sens jerseys, vast majority are commons I'm sure. I collected any card of any player who was part of the Sens organization at any point. I don't care if its a Straka card in a Penguins jersey, or a Sens draft pick like Zanon who never played for the Sens or a prospect that was traded for and never panned out and didn't play in the NHL.

Silver and rainbow foils will be easier to get if you trade on ePack. They lowered the number of cards needed to combine, so it is now easier to make them. Silver Foil is still 5, but rainbow is only 15. For older YGs it is still 25 for rainbow.

The problem is, to get on ePack, you have to buy packs which already puts you in the hole. Maybe on other forums there are ways to trade cash for ePack cards, but I've never looked into it. That would be an easier way to get started because you could buy a bunch of YGs and use them as trade bait for Bathersons or other Sens to foil up.

14 is about as cheap as you're going to get Tkachuk on COMC right now. I've gotten a few of his in the past for 11-12, but that is splitting hairs. There is a lot of competition for YGs on COMC and not a lot of supply of series 2 this year.

Batherson is an interesting case because I actually think he is kind of higher than a typical player with his resume would be but I also think he is a good buy right now regardless because his ceiling is so high. If scoring is high again next year, he could put up 60-70 point right away, in which case he is not going down anytime soon. He is that good of a prospect. It's just surprising that so many people seem to know. Usually with prospects, most collectors don't know who is good until it is right in their face.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
On another note, a fun guy to collect right now is Chlapik because there's absolutely no market for his higher end stuff.

I almost have his entire YG rainbow and it was incredibly cheap (relatively speaking). I don't expect his cards to ever really go up, but at the prices his higher end stuff sells for right now, they are pretty much almost at the prices you'd pay for cards of someone who has already been a bust like Da Costa.

For guys who are really into prospects, CHL is a really fun product and the cards sell for nothing. Even the HG /10 rookies are usually 5-20 bucks for most rookies. Obviously, guys like Byfield and Lafreniere are crazy expensive.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Silver and rainbow foils will be easier to get if you trade on ePack. They lowered the number of cards needed to combine, so it is now easier to make them. Silver Foil is still 5, but rainbow is only 15. For older YGs it is still 25 for rainbow.

The problem is, to get on ePack, you have to buy packs which already puts you in the hole. Maybe on other forums there are ways to trade cash for ePack cards, but I've never looked into it. That would be an easier way to get started because you could buy a bunch of YGs and use them as trade bait for Bathersons or other Sens to foil up.

14 is about as cheap as you're going to get Tkachuk on COMC right now. I've gotten a few of his in the past for 11-12, but that is splitting hairs. There is a lot of competition for YGs on COMC and not a lot of supply of series 2 this year.

Batherson is an interesting case because I actually think he is kind of higher than a typical player with his resume would be but I also think he is a good buy right now regardless because his ceiling is so high. If scoring is high again next year, he could put up 60-70 point right away, in which case he is not going down anytime soon. He is that good of a prospect. It's just surprising that so many people seem to know. Usually with prospects, most collectors don't know who is good until it is right in their face.

good call on Chlapik!

Epack use to be better for cheap guys like me, as I could accumulate cards with their free packs, and combine them and/or trade them for stuff I want. It's been crap since they went to the completely digital purple cards that are completely valueless, and you can't combine for physical cards. It's quite insane how much people pay for stuff on their, like $100 coins a few seasons ago, etc.

Really the only thing I get now are the cheap compendium cards as they are the only set that have cards for 3rd pairing D and 3-4 line type forwards, so like a Justin Falk Sens card for example.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I do have a 3clr The Cup RPA of him :p

I also have his Cup RPA. Super cheap card at under 10 bucks previously.

Muzzin's cards all shot up right once he was dealt to the Leafs, but they eventually went back down.

The moment this trade was rumored, people raided COMC/eBay for Ceci cards. I think yesterday something like a dozen Ceci YGs had sold on eBay which for a single day of an old unpopular (by hobby standards) player is a ton.

The only way they go up long term is if they put Ceci on PP1 and he scores 50 points. Still funny though. I don't know how much people buying up Ceci cards are Leaf collectors who just want his YG to complete their collection, or are people speculating and hoping he pops up in value like Rielly did this season.

I collect the occasional Sens HG Young Guns. There was a Ceci that sold for around 50 bucks earlier in the year that I didn't bid on because it was more than I would have liked to pay for a player who at best will go down as a #4 D. (It was more than a fair price, I just wasn't interested) Whoever bought that could probably flip it for 100-200 with the Leafs tax. :laugh:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Also you mentioned PWCC and your observation about how big cards have gotten.

There is a lot of sketchy stuff going on with PWCC, grading, etc. I won't summarize it here, but if you go to the Blowoutcard forum there is lots of info.

Regarding your other post, sorry no reply because I have no interest in that e-pack thing. I like traditional things and not everything has to be "modern"

Regarding the fraud that has been going on, I know about it now, I have read some of those things you're talking about. It's par the course with the human being, just some pathetic people too weak to be able to make a living without trying to steal others. The weakest kind of weak, absolutely no respect for these people.

Papi are you on SCF or HI? I don't remember where we made our trade

Send me a pm and let's see what could be done. I have about 70 Sens Printing Plates available for trade lol

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Hey what do guys think of the compendium series on e pack? I've never used it before just joined.

Is there better cards with it that you can get sent to you or just the trade ins?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Hey what do guys think of the compendium series on e pack? I've never used it before just joined.

Is there better cards with it that you can get sent to you or just the trade ins?

It is mostly aimed at people who enjoy the digital collection/trading/combining aspect. I think there are some cards that can be transferred to physical cards, but not many.

One interesting thing about Compendium, Marcus Hogberg has a (physical) rookie card in Compendium and it is his only current rookie card. Since everything except for The Cup has now been released, there's a chance he won't get anymore rookie cards.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
hmm ill look into that.

as for the free packs are they anything? can I get real cards for them in any situation?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
hmm ill look into that.

as for the free packs are they anything? can I get real cards for them in any situation?

I might be wrong, I'm not that into ePack, but I don't think the free packs can be transferred into physical cards.

I think the main thing about Compendium is it is mostly a digital product for people who find trading/collecting digitally fun. While there are physical cards, if you don't think you would be interested in that aspect, it probably isn't what you'd be looking for.

If the appeal of Compendium is that it is affordable for a hobby box, there are a lot of cheap Sens cards on comc.com that are transferred directly from ePack. Stuff in the .30 to 3 dollar range. OPC Platinum just came out on ePack right now and it tends to have the nicest looking cards, most of which are pretty cheap. You can usually build a more satisfying collection by identifying what interests you and just buying the cards straight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad