OT: Thomas Chabot and Brady Tkachuk Young Guns rookie cards

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I just picked up Chabot's and Tkachuk's Young Guns rookie cards rated 9.5 they are still available pretty cheap. I grabbed Karlsson and Stone a while ago but they are gone now.. going to keep collecting. Anyone else here collecting? Just thought maybe this could be an interesting thread and usually by the time you decide to grab someone's rookie card its too late and already worth full value type thing... so yeah Tkachuk was only like 20$ :thumbu:

Mcdavid's cards are riding some lows right now too. I picked him up and Draisaitl.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My brother and I have a collection.

Our most valuable card is probably this:

s-l300.jpg

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Sort of.

I’ve told this story on here before, but the quick version of it is... Karlsson wants to see Avatar in 3D, but buys the wrong show time. I notice him looking confused and sort everything out for him while we shoot the breeze. He asks me what time I finish work, I tell him X time and he comes back before his movie with 2 autographed Young Guns rookie cards.

I have picked you Brady’s and a couple other players along the road as well. Should probably snag Batherson’s now.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I have a The Cup Autographed Rookie Masterpieces 1/1 printing plate of Chabot, which is probably my most valuable card.

2nd would be ultimate series rookie autograph Karlsson.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Be sure to pick up a Batherson rookie. He's the one I could actually see going up. Not that you're buying them as an "investment", but it's much better to spend 5-10 bucks on a card now, than have to spend twice that or more a year from now. Brown, Chlapik, White, and a few others are also cheap, but they aren't as likely to go up.

@benjiv1 I remember you telling that Karlsson story before. It's a cool story, and his signed Young Guns is a nice keepsake because he really doesn't seem to sign a lot, even with Upper Deck. They just recently started releasing a bunch of Karlsson auto cards after not having any Karlsson autographs in sets for a long time.

If I recall, @Xspyrit might have the best collection here. I remember him posting some really cool Karlsson rookie stuff a while back.

Reactions: Xspyrit

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Very expensive Hobby, thread with care....:popcorn:

It's only expensive if people buy boxes, or if they are the type of person who wants to be a complete player collection and have absolutely everything released. Using ebay.ca or comc.com, a person could build a really nice collection on a budget of 20 dollars a month if they wanted to if they didn't buy boxes and were patient with looking for deals. Someone could add 3-6 rookie or auto or serial numbered cards at that price, or if they were interested in inserts like OPC Platinum or Marquee Rookies from Series 2, they could add a ton of those. They are cheap on COMC.

Most cards are reasonably cheap except for the ultra high end stuff. We're talking about 2-5 dollars a card for autographs, rookies, etc. It's a buyer's market because the people who rip boxes mostly don't actually like cards, they like gambling, so they sell 99 percent of what they pull for more gambling cash. This depresses the market for single cards.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Be sure to pick up a Batherson rookie. He's the one I could actually see going up. Not that you're buying them as an "investment", but it's much better to spend 5-10 bucks on a card now, than have to spend twice that or more a year from now. Brown, Chlapik, White, and a few others are also cheap, but they aren't as likely to go up.

@benjiv1 I remember you telling that Karlsson story before. It's a cool story, and his signed Young Guns is a nice keepsake because he really doesn't seem to sign a lot, even with Upper Deck. They just recently started releasing a bunch of Karlsson auto cards after not having any Karlsson autographs in sets for a long time.

If I recall, @Xspyrit might have the best collection here. I remember him posting some really cool Karlsson rookie stuff a while back.

Yea me too I remembered that Benjiv post

Thanks for the comment, I still have that EK collection. I can't seem to put the direct pictures here so just for fun here's Zibanejad's PC (link brings you to the whole collections) :

PC Mika Zibanejad Story by Xspyrit lalalala (Xspyrit) on Photobucket

Robin Lehner PC too :

PC Robin Lehner Story by Xspyrit lalalala (Xspyrit) on Photobucket

And of course, EK :

PC Erik Karlsson Story by Xspyrit lalalala (Xspyrit) on Photobucket

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

Thanks for the comment, I still have that EK collection. I can't seem to put the direct pictures here so just for fun here's Zibanejad's PC (link brings you to the whole collections) :

Robin Lehner PC too :

And of course, EK :

Wow that Zib and Karlsson PC.

Easily over $10k collection right there.

Do you display them, or are they locked away in a safe?

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
It's only expensive if people buy boxes, or if they are the type of person who wants to be a complete player collection and have absolutely everything released. Using ebay.ca or comc.com, a person could build a really nice collection on a budget of 20 dollars a month if they wanted to if they didn't buy boxes and were patient with looking for deals. Someone could add 3-6 rookie or auto or serial numbered cards at that price, or if they were interested in inserts like OPC Platinum or Marquee Rookies from Series 2, they could add a ton of those. They are cheap on COMC.

Most cards are reasonably cheap except for the ultra high end stuff. We're talking about 2-5 dollars a card for autographs, rookies, etc. It's a buyer's market because the people who rip boxes mostly don't actually like cards, they like gambling, so they sell 99 percent of what they pull for more gambling cash. This depresses the market for single cards.
Rookie auto's are the most coveted cards and they aren't cheap for any stars or recently 1st round draft picks as well.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Robin Lehner PC too :

And of course, EK :

Beautiful collection, dude!

BABY EK and Zib!

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Rookie auto's are the most coveted cards and they aren't cheap for any stars or recently 1st round draft picks as well.

The coveted and high end stuff is not cheap, you are right. Notably, the Cup RPA, FWA.

There are always more affordable alternatives though. Most years there is a lot of cheap OPC Platinum, SPX, and SPGU littered on COMC due to ePack.

Premier RPAs are usually reasonably cheap considering how nice they are. Chabot was 30-50 in his rookie year. Compared to buying a hobby box, that's attainable.

There's also lower end stuff. I got a Brady Coast to Coast rookie auto for about 20.

The general point is, there are options where people can build decent collections on a budget. It doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. If someone is patient and has a budget in mind, they can collect.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
The coveted and high end stuff is not cheap, you are right. Notably, the Cup RPA, FWA.

There are always more affordable alternatives though. Most years there is a lot of cheap OPC Platinum, SPX, and SPGU littered on COMC due to ePack.

Premier RPAs are usually reasonably cheap considering how nice they are. Chabot was 30-50 in his rookie year. Compared to buying a hobby box, that's attainable.

There's also lower end stuff. I got a Brady Coast to Coast rookie auto for about 20.

The general point is, there are options where people can build decent collections on a budget. It doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. If someone is patient and has a budget in mind, they can collect.
Yeah, you are absolutely right.

You can even find some amazing deals on eBay for coveted cards if you watch regularly.
I got a Becket graded 9 Silfverberg The Cup RPA for $18. I was the only bidder iirc.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wow!!! I have some retro comics but would be sweet to have some retro cards like this. Damn dad threw most of mine away grrrr.

We really started collecting in earnest in the early 1980s.

We have early 80s cards like Bourque, Messier RCs but they aren’t in mint condition because we used to throw them into a bag and then pull them out to make lineups.

Our first year of close to mint complete series is the 84-85 O-Pee-Chee which is the Lafontaine and Yzerman year.

We have a lot of the Hull, Nieuwendyk year (88-89) because we bought quite a few boxes.

By the time they branched out into Pro Set, Score, Bowman, and Upper Deck, we were pretty serious but they aren’t worth as much.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

Batherson.. nice idea he will be like 2$ right now too haha.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Beautiful collection, dude!

BABY EK and Zib!

Wow that Zib and Karlsson PC.

Easily over $10k collection right there.

Do you display them, or are they locked away in a safe?

Thanks a lot for the comments, appreciated

No I don't display them, I keep them next to my riffles :sarcasm:

Man it sucks that all 3 Swedes had to be traded/let go. I had a Andre Petersson PC too that I just traded to a swedish guy. Granted, nowhere near the value of the others but still. I also have Alfredsson, Spezza, Regin and Da Costa rookie year PC too. IIRC I have 23 Regin Printing Plates.

I started with a 1000$ budget but through trades and Ebay sales, I built all this and also have plenty of Young Guns and Autographed cards.

I am currently trying to get some Batherson and Chabot cards in their Rookie Year but nobody is trading them I guess!

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks a lot for the comments, appreciated

No I don't display them, I keep them next to my riffles :sarcasm:

Man it sucks that all 3 Swedes had to be traded/let go. I had a Andre Petersson PC too that I just traded to a swedish guy. Granted, nowhere near the value of the others but still. I also have Alfredsson, Spezza, Regin and Da Costa rookie year PC too. IIRC I have 23 Regin Printing Plates.

I started with a 1000$ budget but through trades and Ebay sales, I built all this and also have plenty of Young Guns and Autographed cards.

I am currently trying to get some Batherson and Chabot cards in their Rookie Year but nobody is trading them I guess!
There were a bunch of Chabot RPAs and Plates on ebay in nov/dec, there were 3 autographed masterpiece plates but they are all gone now.

How do you go about trading cards? I don't personally know any other collectors.

Batherson rookies are a great value on ebay right now, flying under the radar like most Sens later round picks while he's still in the AHL

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I got a BGS 9 Chabot Young Guns on ebay the other day for less than $10. Just arrive today :)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There were a bunch of Chabot RPAs and Plates on ebay in nov/dec, there were 3 autographed masterpiece plates but they are all gone now.

How do you go about trading cards? I don't personally know any other collectors.

Batherson rookies are a great value on ebay right now, flying under the radar like most Sens later round picks while he's still in the AHL

Sorry for the delay, I trade mainly on 2 sites : SCF and HI. But there is many more actually, I took a 5 years break like I said before and now I'm kinda surprised to see how big this market is. I mean, PWCC on Ebay sells 100K$ cards on a regular basis. Check that link for their sales in the last 2 months (they do consignment)

Items for sale by pwcc_auctions | eBay

Send me a private message if you would like to join a trading sports card forum. I can refer you. It's a nice community. Most people are laid back and easy going.

I got a BGS 9 Chabot Young Guns on ebay the other day for less than $10. Just arrive today :)

Nice. I don't even have a Chabot YG yet lol. I haven't bought on Ebay yet, except a lot that I will re-sell and partially use as tradebait

Any one up for trading? I have lots of Sens cards, I tend to steer clear of high end stuff. just do it for fun

Hey Papi, we traded before so maybe we should do it again :)

Reactions: Big Papi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad