News Article: THN on why LA wins and Flyers don't

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Things were a bit better under Rogie when they finally got rid of that moron McQuire but then we hit McMaster the Disaster that set us back another decade.

Thank God for Dean Lombardi.

As much as i hate to say this, i always thought Dave Taylor was in over his head and lack the vision to make the organization into a winner. That confused look on his face at the 2003 draft, when he called timeout sealed it for me.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
A better question might be has any team ever won two championships winning playing seven of eight series WITHOUT home ice advantage?

this is a little off track, but how much did we save in tickets and beer/whiskey by not having home ice and still winning the cups, especially this year when the tickets progressed higher each round than in 2012......and we still got to win it on home ice even more reason to love these guys

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Having a non-meddling owner and a management group that is focused on building a winner (as opposed to putting butts in seats) has worked wonders for this organization, hasn't it? Hextall doesn't have the same type of autonomy in Philadelphia.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Having a non-meddling owner and a management group that is focused on building a winner (as opposed to putting butts in seats) has worked wonders for this organization, hasn't it? Hextall doesn't have the same type of autonomy in Philadelphia.

I wonder if Hexy told Snider the same thing Dl told AEL/Lieweekly... My team, my rules, everyone else butt out (for the most part).

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wonder if Hexy told Snider the same thing Dl told AEL/Lieweekly... My team, my rules, everyone else butt out (for the most part).

Hard to say since Hextall doesn't have the long history of being a GM as Lombardi, plus he was brought in to Philly as the Assistant GM with the knowledge that he'd eventually be Holmgren's successor, which didn't take long for Hextall to achieve. I can't imagine Snider staying out of any decision making with his team. He's the Al Davis of hockey.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
True, and if it was anyone but Hexy I'd agree. But Hextall is a big name in that market and I can't imagine Hexy wanted to come back without some ability to put into place the same design/structure he seen in LA. If he lets Snider run the show he's basically ruining his GM career from day one.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Hard to say since Hextall doesn't have the long history of being a GM as Lombardi, plus he was brought in to Philly as the Assistant GM with the knowledge that he'd eventually be Holmgren's successor, which didn't take long for Hextall to achieve. I can't imagine Snider staying out of any decision making with his team. He's the Al Davis of hockey.

Well said, Ziggy and it's been that mentality, becoming the Mad Butcher of Broad Street that has ruined this team for years.
And since to give Hexy that GM job, he had to promote Homer, they are still the 2 headed dragon that get far too involved.
But the Flyers have gotten so much negative publicitity, since the Richards and Carter trade and those that followed, along with bad FA signings that I think Big Ed's ego was bruised. Being embarrssed nationally over the last few years is something his massive ego couldn't tolerate. He'll NEVER admit to being wrong but bringing Hextall in and citing his success in LA is the closesest the Flyer fans will ever get to an apology.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad