News Article: THN on why LA wins and Flyers don't

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
As we usually point out, its hands off ownership here, and a meddling owner there but its still a good read:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/w..._medium=email&utm_campaign=thn_daily_20140831

“I was part of making it happen,” Snider said at the time. “It was hard to sit and watch the Cup final, knowing what (Tim) Thomas was doing for Boston.”

Snider's got such a forked tongue it's a wonder he can talk at all. He wasn't part of the decision to sign Bryz, he was ALL of it. I suffered thru every one of his public press tantrums, from that May when they lost thru when that awful deal was inked.

Snider was force behind Flyers chasing goalie Bryzgalov From June 2011

http://articles.philly.com/2011-06-22/sports/29690025_1_salary-cap-ed-snider-ilya-bryzgalov

From that Friday night in May when the Bruins dumped the Flyers in 4 games, he was livid, blaming Richards (I want him gone! as heard by a few reporters post game) for the embarrassing series and then chasing Bryz, from the 'we won't let this happen again' red faced with anger and embarrassed by the goalie carousel that playoffs to trading for Byrz's signing rights June 7, sending a private jet to Moscow to fly him to Philly and on local TV spouting that they'd do whatever it takes to sign Bryzgalov. I was furious ,first because I never liked him, he's mentally weak and cracks under pressure, as was evident in the series the year before vs the Red Wings and by the comments of his teammates, local reports and even some of the national analysts. But mostly because by opening his mouth like that while they were still in discussions, he gave Bryz and his agent (Rich Winter) an open door to the safe. Winter had Snider over a barrel. Nobody else was chasing Bryz, Snider bid against himself and lost.

He had a very good young stud goalie in the making in Bob, who came from Russia, didn't understand English or the North American culture and despite that had a brilliant rookie year. Even when Reese, the Flyers goalie coach told Snider that Bob had all the tools to be an elite NHL goalie that all he needed was a couple more years to learn the North American system.But instead of rewarding Bob for that terrific year and promising vision of what may be, he kicked him in the nuts with a skate.
No, Ed never has understood and never will that you build a championship, you don't buy one. He's turned into the mad butcher of Broad STtreet, trading away promising youth ( Frm Justin Williams, Patrick Sharp , thru the years all the way up to JVR and Bob) for a 'quick fix'. Last fall when the Flyers got off to that horrific start, losing almost every game, Ed was in the locker room after the homes games, asking questions. Why can't he just go to Palm Springs like a normal, senile 81 yr old millionare team owner?

Ron*

Welcome to my world.

Signed,

Los Angeles Kings Managment 1967-1984

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Imagine this combo...

20121117-171504-g.jpg

Ron*

It stopped in 1984?

Things were a bit better under Rogie when they finally got rid of that moron McQuire but then we hit McMaster the Disaster that set us back another decade.

Thank God for Dean Lombardi.

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
I think the Kings win when the Flyers don't, because more of the time, we finish the game with more goals than the other team.

That's got to be it.
:nod:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think the Kings win when the Flyers don't, because more of the time, we finish the game with more goals than the other team.

That's got to be it.
:nod:

This sounds like the minutes posted from a 2-day summit of Toronto Maple Leafs management.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The fact that the Flyer's owner is crazy...that's understandable. There are plenty of crazy owners in all the major sports.

The fact that the Flyer's fans think they're in better shape now than when they had Carter, Richards and were playing Chicago for the Cup...I don't get that crazy.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The fact that the Flyer's owner is crazy...that's understandable. There are plenty of crazy owners in all the major sports.

The fact that the Flyer's fans think they're in better shape now than when they had Carter, Richards and were playing Chicago for the Cup...I don't get that crazy.

Living in Philly and a hockey fan for 40 years now, I can tell you a large percentage of the fan base wear orange glasses and drink Orange kool aid. They support the decisions and defend them, and if you're traded, you become trash talk more or less and your value is depreciated.
Most recently, it was Bob and JVR. Both trades that were wins for the other team. But not to most Flyer fans, Bob 'sucked ' his 2nd year/ ReallY? Coming off a brilliant rookie season in a new country, and having his confidence cut off at the knees with Bryz coming in and then only getting playing time every few weeks or when they were down 3 goals in a game. I was glad he found success with the BJ's , but most fans can'at see the (he didn't play that way when he was here..yadda yadda) Same iwth JVR who was never developed right or given stablity, ice time ,r eg minutes or linemates. They say he was 'inconsistant' and 'changed ' when he got to the Leaf.s No, he didn't, they just did the right thing and played him 20 minutes a night, PK and PP (never got that in philly) with the same mates.
MOre recently the Hartnell trade, which I felt was a total win for Columbus, but not to Flyer fans, 'we' got the best of that one...it never ends.

They won't make the playoffs this year and are years away from being a team that can truly be elite and compete.
But it's not Ed's fault..not they think he's all that because he swings for the fences every year, he 'isn't afraid to spend'. NO swinging for the fences gets you more strikeouts than home runs.
You don't know how good it felt when Richards and Carter helped the Kings get that first Cup a year later. It still feels good.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Thank God for Dean Lombardi.

Even more terrifying here we are with two cups and three straight WC Finals but that only happened because the team got just hot enough at just the last second to sneak into the 8th spot back in 11/12. If we hadn't made it Lombardi was gone and with him Sutter/Lots of Players.

Ron*

Even more terrifying here we are with two cups and three straight WC Finals but that only happened because the team got just hot enough at just the last second to sneak into the 8th spot back in 11/12. If we hadn't made it Lombardi was gone and with him Sutter/Lots of Players.

And we still haven't finished above fifth in the conference in the past three seasons. I can't recall a team in any major sport, EVER, that won two league championships being such a passable/mediocre team in the regular season. (Then again, they did get 100 points this past season, so maybe not so mediocre in the insane western conference.)

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
And we still haven't finished above fifth in the conference in the past three seasons. I can't recall a team in any major sport, EVER, that won two league championships being such a passable/mediocre team in the regular season. (Then again, they did get 100 points this past season, so maybe not so mediocre in the insane western conference.)

A better question might be has any team ever won two championships winning playing seven of eight series WITHOUT home ice advantage?

Ron*

A better question might be has any team ever won two championships winning playing seven of eight series WITHOUT home ice advantage?

Good point. I doubt it. Would take hours to research it too.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010

Good point. I doubt it. Would take hours to research it too.

I don't think you need to research. Kings are the only 6th and 8th seeded team to ever win it all. There has only been one or two teams who were 5th seeds that have won it all.

I think we can safely say Kings are the only team to win 7 of 8 series on the road. If you want to double check, just look at the 5th seeded teams path to a Cup.

Ron*

I don't think you need to research. Kings are the only 6th and 8th seeded team to ever win it all. There has only been one or two teams who were 5th seeds that have won it all.

I think we can safely say Kings are the only team to win 7 of 8 series on the road. If you want to double check, just look at the 5th seeded teams path to a Cup.

I was thinking in all of sports.

Can pretty much discount basketball (NBA), since the home-court advantage pretty much eliminates such a road performance. And, of course, the NFL/pro football don't have have playoff series, so this question isn't applicable there. I was thinking baseball might be a challenge to research, given it's long history.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I was thinking in all of sports.

Can pretty much discount basketball (NBA), since the home-court advantage pretty much eliminates such a road performance. And, of course, the NFL/pro football don't have have playoff series, so this question isn't applicable there. I was thinking baseball might be a challenge to research, given it's long history.

Actually baseball might not be. Correct me if I'm wrong here one of you baseball fanatics (I'm sure someone is far more fanatical around here than this Canadian boy) but until 1969 there was only one series in the post-season -AL and NL champions- and from 1970 to 1994 there were only two series per team maximum -divisional championships and then league championships. It wasn't until 1994 that there were three rounds per playoffs for a team, and even then I believe some teams got the by. It expanded in 2012 to the present format.

So basically until 1969, for a team to win 7 out of 8 playoff series on the road, they'd have to win at least seven World Series in eight years. I'm not sure if anyone even did that, maybe the Yankees. I'm going to assume that they didn't win all seven on the road even if they did win seven World Series in eight years.

After that, a team would still need to win three World Series in four years from the period of 1969 to 1994 to even be ale to to win seven out of eight series, so that narrows it down substancially. It would only be from 1994 onward that should require much research.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Actually baseball might not be. Correct me if I'm wrong here one of you baseball fanatics (I'm sure someone is far more fanatical around here than this Canadian boy) but until 1969 there was only one series in the post-season -AL and NL champions- and from 1970 to 1994 there were only two series per team maximum -divisional championships and then league championships. It wasn't until 1994 that there were three rounds per playoffs for a team, and even then I believe some teams got the by. It expanded in 2012 to the present format.

So basically until 1969, for a team to win 7 out of 8 playoff series on the road, they'd have to win at least seven World Series in eight years. I'm not sure if anyone even did that, maybe the Yankees. I'm going to assume that they didn't win all seven on the road even if they did win seven World Series in eight years.

After that, a team would still need to win three World Series in four years from the period of 1969 to 1994 to even be ale to to win seven out of eight series, so that narrows it down substancially. It would only be from 1994 onward that should require much research.

For some reason when I read this I immediately thought of the cafe scene in Black Dynamite...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad