News Article: THN -Kings-Sharks Best NHL Rivalary

Travtera

Apr 16, 2012
As an out of market fan (Vancouver area), for me personally, it's the Canucks. But that's mostly because I absolutely love trash talking my fellow Vancouverites about how my team is going to lay a whooping on the home town team. Love it when the Kings stick it to them.

I draw a distinction between historical/geographical rivalries (Flames/Oilers, Pens/Flyers etc.) and genuinely heated rivalries that almost exclusively are generated with meeting head to head in the play offs in multiple years (Avs/Wings, Canucks/Blackhawks, Oilers/Stars).

Have to say the Kings/Sharks rivalry has the benefit of tapping into both types of rivalries. Even up here, I know well of the ongoing feud between North California and South California sports teams and their fans. Having met in the play offs the past 2 out of 3 years with one series each and with a potential collision course this year, I have a feeling we're just getting started.

And I still haven't forgotten/completely gotten over the humiliation of game 3 in 2011. Sharks need to pay!

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
I've gotten over game 3 from 2011.

Kings got their revenge against the Sharks in game 2 & 7 last year and the Cup the previous year. Can't really be too mad about that game anymore.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
For me for now it's
1) Cryotes
2) Ducks
3) Sharks
4) Canucks
5) Blues

Nothing makes me happier than watching Doan, Hanzal, Smith and Tippett cry.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
would any of us said the same thing after losing last night if that had been the canuks, I know I wouldn't have, I totally hate their fanbase and their arrogance and except for henrik( h earned respect after coming back from browns hit) dislike most of their players and have grown to feel much disappointment in kesler for his antics even if he is the american capt., but the games with the sharks have turned out to be great hockey and appear to be played straight up by both teams, and with courture and hertl these games should b fun for years to come

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
My hate list is as follows. The only way SJ moves up is if they get a lot of **** fans, because the Canucks and Ucks have a ton of those. So beating them feels better.

1) Canuck
2) Ucks
3) Sharks
4) Cryotes
5) Blues

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
1)Sucks
2)Casucks
3)Cryotes

Sharks feel like a little brother. It's like nothing's ever personal but a battle would look really intense to an outsider.

ShakeyBonez

Dec 26, 2009
Temple City, CA
For me, personally

My order of interest in the rivials is as follows

1.sharks... I abhor that team, cant stand jumbojoe and they play soo hard etc... always interesting. But damn the sharks get some lucky ass goals almost every time they play us.

2. Canucks

3 Ducks... I swear i feel this rivialry is fan generated... I never feel that aggression/tenacity that you get when nucks or sharks are in town.. but that could just be me.

4. St. Louis blues... These guys always bring their A game when they play us now... its always entertaining.

Captain Mittens*

The canucks after most dangerous to themselves, like Mike Tyson.

We are 1-1 in playoff series with the sharks.

We have never meet the Ducks in the playoffs.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I think the issue is whether you're defining "rivalry" as:

1) The team you most like to see lose, both at the hands of the Kings, and at the hands of pretty much any other team. That team, for me, is still Anaheim.

or...

2) The team you would most like to see an epic, amazing, tightly-fought, highly-skilled yet gritty and tough, playoff battle for the Division or Conference title... which this article has, IMO, correctly identified -at this moment- as San Jose.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the issue is whether you're defining "rivalry" as:

1) The team you most like to see lose, both at the hands of the Kings, and at the hands of pretty much any other team. That team, for me, is still Anaheim.

or...

2) The team you would most like to see an epic, amazing, tightly-fought, highly-skilled yet gritty and tough, playoff battle for the Division or Conference title... which this article has, IMO, correctly identified -at this moment- as San Jose.

I agree. And I'd also add 'hate for team' is different than 'hate for fans'. For example the Ducks "rivalry" is so freaking artificial on the ice. It's all just a fan pissing contest until they play meaningful games vs. one another (Kopitar eliminating them from playoff contention with the Forsberg move in a shootout doesn't count for anything but self-gratification ;))

Therefore, my list:

1. Sharks. Best hockey rivalry. last year's playoffs stepped it up another notch with the whining to the media (I love McLellan but his defense of Torres drove me nuts). I don't think Kings fans will ever forget Jumbo spinning on his back on our center ice, though the Cup makes up for it! Fans are great online and in person--can heckle and take it. Just best all around games and both teams are amongst the league's elite right now. I truly think they're the most dangerous team in the league this year (yes, even more than the Blackhawks).

2. Canucks. Still good hockey, you can tell the teams despise one another. I think their fans used to write us off as "aww how cute, you think we're your rival" but they got a dose of reality so they haven't been nearly as abrasive since :laugh:

3. Cryotes. LA little brother complex. They want so badly to be our rival and our players piss them off to no end. Love beating these guys, absolutely hate losing to them. Plus, Mike Smith is my most hated player in the NHL. Hanzal is up there too--don't know why that guy doesn't get more flack for trying to run everyone when he plays us but eh, just adds to the fire!

4. Blues. Nice recent playoff rivalry, really were our kindred spirits before we won a cup because they are long-tortured souls as well (although they had the pleasure of at least making the playoffs for all eternity). Teams are built similarly. We're really one of the only teams that's a challenge for them, imho. I know posters here give them a lot of **** for not getting it done but let's see how they fare vs. another playoff opponent before writing them off. Don't hate the team, just respect the hell out of how hard they play, and their fans have been mostly good too (and gotta thank Fred Murtz for always posting videos for us despite his clear loathing for all things Dustin Brown :P )

5. Ducks. Again, let's be real, this is just geographic and artificial so far. I think both teams want like hell to meet in the playoffs yet are scared of the result :laugh:. Now would be a great time as both teams are clearly in that upper-echelon. Still, outside of the fan anger, there's not much more to hate about the Ducks for a Kings fan than vice versa. Sure, I will make fun of Perry/Getzlaf's temper tantrums and Bryan Allen taking a regular shift at the NHL level, but if they weren't our neighbor, you wouldn't hear a peep either way.

(I'm also trying to remain as unbiased as possible because I really dig Etem and Palmieri and some of their rookies. And Saku Koivu's career. and the fact that the only fight Teemu Selanne has ever been in he beat up a Canuck (ahem :P) )

HM: Blackhawks--just putting them here not because there are any hard feelings really, just that they are the next demon we have to exorcise--we played clearly below our team's capabilities in the WCF plus they play a style that is our kryptonite. If Sutter and co. can solve the riddle of how we can beat the Hawks (and similar teams like the Avs) over a 7-game series, then we are set for some years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad