News Article: THN -Kings-Sharks Best NHL Rivalary

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
A nice analysis of the Kings-SHarks battles (written post game tonight)by The Hockey News citing the Kings-Sharks Rivalry as the best in the NHL and lists the reasons why.

Nice to see somebody from a National publication recognizing the Western Conf.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...ingsSharks-is-the-best-NHL-rivalry-today.html

FIVE Reasons why the Kings-Sharks is the best NHL Rivalry Today

A San Jose Sharks-Los Angeles Kings game is about as good as it gets these days. Wednesday's 3-2 shootout win for the Sharks was an absolute beauty that I could have watched go into 12 overtimes. The Kings won the first game between these two in overtime earlier this season, so regulation cannot contain this rivalry. How tight are these two teams? The Sharks were this close to winning Wednesday's game in regulation.

The NHL will always have its attractive staple rivalries - Habs-Leafs, Devils-Rangers, Penguins-Flyers, Oilers-Flames, etc. - but Kings-Sharks might be the best one today. It has everything and has become a must-see game for every hockey fan. Here are five reasons why the Kings-Sharks rivalry is the very best rivalry today:

WELL, THEY'RE BOTH DARNED GOOD TEAMS
The Sharks and Kings are among the best four or five teams in the NHL. The Sharks have been in this group for much longer, winning at least 40 games in each full season since 2003-04, but the Kings are the ones with a Stanley Cup. At least one of these teams has been represented in the past four Western Conference finals and both look as prepared as ever to get back there again. Every time these two meet up in the regular season, it's like we get a taste of the playoff hockey we all crave.

SAN JOSE AND LOS ANGELES CAN FIGHT OVER GEOGRAPHY
It's a little easier and much more fun to cultivate a rivalry when the fan bases contest territory. It's about five and a half hours from SAP Center in San Jose to Staples Center in Los Angeles if you drive, which is about the same distance between Toronto and Montreal. But the Kings and Sharks both call California home. L.A., being the shiny, Hollywood commercial hub, is like big brother to San Jose, which naturally wants to stand taller. The "Beat L.A." chants thundering through the Sharks' home arena is a beautiful piece of harmless hate.

NON-TRADITIONAL HOCKEY MARKET RIVALRY = GROWTH OF THE GAME
The NHL has to love the fact two teams in a non-traditional hockey market can both arouse the passions of budding fan bases and draw attention from around the rest of the hockey world. Sharks-Kings games have become must-see TV for everybody, so if this is what someone being introduced to the game is seeing, the sell job won't be very hard.

THERE IS A VERY RECENT, VERY HEATED PLAYOFF HISTORY
The first time these two teams played in a post-season series was in 2010-11, with the Sharks winning the opening round 4-2. But the real jewel in this rivalry treated hockey fans last spring. The Sharks and Kings met in the second round last season with five of the seven games being decided by one goal. Game 7 of that showdown was frustrating, nail-biting, agonizing and, ultimately, fulfilling or heart-breaking, depending on who you were cheering for. With the new division and playoff alignments, here's hoping we see more series between these two teams.

AND FINALLY...STAR POWER GALORE
Both have a number of Olympians and high-end, marketable talent to showcase and draw in fans with. Joe Thornton has been a monster point-getter and playmaker his entire career, while Logan Couture and Antti Niemi are quickly rising stocks. The Kings, of course, have Conn Smythe and Vezina winner Jonathan Quick and add to that American attraction with the bulldozer Dustin Brown. Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Drew Doughty make up the Canadian contingent - but Slovenian Anze Kopitar might be the best of them all. And the stars from both teams go at each other hard, on and off the ice. Couture accused Brown of diving during last season's playoff series.

What do you think? Where does the Kings-Sharks rivalry rank in the NHL today

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Wouldn't these two teams be perfect for the NBC rivalry games they have? Haha no, that might take time away from the Flyers and Pens epic slap fights.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Maybe in terms of quality hockey but I don't think the rivalry is particularly heated. It's good, it's healthy and it's super competitive but the best in the NHL? Still, pretty cool to get that kind of nod.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Not according to NBC, NBCSN and the NHL Network. The east coast is the only place where rivals meet [see ALL TV ADS AND PROMOS]

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
As a Sharks fan, there is a LOT more dislike between the Kings-Canucks and Sharks-Canucks. But the Sharks own the Canucks. Kings-Sharks games are better and more dramatic by far. I think the article has it right.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
As a Sharks fan, there is a LOT more dislike between the Kings-Canucks

Don't know where you got that from....as much as I hate Vancouver, nothing beats a win over the Sharks or Ducks. I have a feeling the majority of Kings fans would agree with me.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Don't know where you got that from....as much as I hate Vancouver, nothing beats a win over the Sharks or Ducks. I have a feeling the majority of Kings fans would agree with me.

I don't know about that. The VAN fans were real jerks during the playoff series- the Sharks fans aren't nearly as bad.

Also, I think the players genuinely hate the Nucks. See Doughty's quotes.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I don't know about that. The VAN fans were real jerks during the playoff series- the Sharks fans aren't nearly as bad.

Also, I think the players genuinely hate the Nucks. See Doughty's quotes.

I tend to agree with this. While losing to the sharks sucks, it just feels so much better beating the ducks and nucks.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008

Nope. Fun to beat San Jose, but I LOATHE Vancouver.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Honestly I feel the rivarly chart goes something like this for us..

1. Vancouver
2. Anahiem
3. St. Louis
4. San Jose

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Wouldn't these two teams be perfect for the NBC rivalry games they have? Haha no, that might take time away from the Flyers and Pens epic slap fights.

Yeah, but Cindy really doesn't like the Flyers and I'm sure Claudine feels the same way about the Penguins. Who can forget that classic playoff series where neither team played defense and the goalies couldn't stop a beach ball.

Nothing tastes as sweet as the tears of Canuck fans.

Last edited:

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
There's a difference between rivals and hated enemies though. When I think of rivals, I think of a group that matches you on every level, who provides hard fought battles at every opportunity, and there's a strong history between both groups. Since when has rivalry been about hatred? It's more about a mutual begrudging respect. Sure you don't really like each other, but you don't have to despise each other either.

I don't consider Canucks rivals, I consider them hated enemies. I hate when they win and I hate a lot of their players and their coach. When the Kings win against them, it's more like defeating a villain than a rival. It's not to say that Canucks aren't talented, but that doesn't make them rivals. It's more like a hero vs. villain (Although I'm sure Canucks fans would call us the villains) than a rivalry.

My point is, while there might be some hatred involved and there's certainly a lot of anger towards each other while in the heat of the moment, that doesn't mean that rivals have to be about how much you hate the other team.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
When it comes to rivalries, respect is more important factor than hate imo. Therefore yeah, it can be said that Sharks and even Coyotes are more of a rival to Kings than Canucks.

KingKopitar11*

As a Sharks fan, there is a LOT more dislike between the Kings-Canucks and Sharks-Canucks. But the Sharks own the Canucks. Kings-Sharks games are better and more dramatic by far. I think the article has it right.

Agreed, I'm sure the players hate specific individuals of the Canucks, but the game quality in itself is average.

The Sharks and the Kings bring the best out of each other. You know that it will be a high octane game and that the players will be busting their ass. Sure the Canucks are annoying, but it doesn't mean they are any good.

I agree with this articles the Kings and Sharks are two very good teams that when they play each other, they play to their best.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009

No, I hate Vancouver more than anyone. Those games are much nastier than Kings vs either of the California teams aswell

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
I still think Bruins/Habs is one of the best rivalries in all of sports but it was nice to get some recognition from the article.

KingKopitar11*

I still think Bruins/Habs is one of the best rivalries in all of sports but it was nice to get some recognition from the article.

It was. It's nothing special any more. The kings and sharks is pretty awesome.

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
It was. It's nothing special any more. The kings and sharks is pretty awesome.

I agree, the Sharks and Canucks are the games I get excited about all day. I guess it really all depends on how well the teams are playing. A Dodgers/Giants game isnt as fun when one team is in first and the other in last.

serenity now

Dec 12, 2009
Lower California
The article was dead on.
I think there is too much Orange County apathy for the Ducks rivalry to have much teeth (perhaps a brilliant playoff series could change that). I like beating Vancouver because I know it just adds to the whole Canadian city's pain.(I actually like the Canuck fans at Staples and love their passion) but I really believe our biggest rival is the Sharks.

Last nights game was awesome theatre. I loved the BEAT LA cheer. the 2011 playoff games were epic (I still remember Jumbo waving his finger at that fan at Staples) and last year's playoff series was as good as it gets. I firmly believe that the only reason we didn't beat the Hawks was because we expended so much energy in the Shark's series. The road to Stanley this summer (and for the next few seasons) will definitely go thru San Jose again with the new division alignment.

Hopefully, after another 7 game war this summer, the Kings Sharks will play a Heritage game at Candlestick Park in 2015. I'd go.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I think I get more amped up for SJ games than any other. I hate the Canucks, but they are past their prime and likely will need a rebuild before they become a playoff threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad