THN Future Watch is out

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
No one is happy about the broberg pick. There were several higher end players on the board
Not true. I am more than happy about the Broberg pick as I have stated here numerous times. Just go back a couple of years to see how inaccurate these are. Everyone wants the forward that is flashy and develops faster. Are you willing to admit in 3 years when you were wrong on this board? I would be if so but will you?

2017 THN future watch

2016:

Hi I usually just lurk but I have the magazine here's the top 10 if anyone wants the whole list I can type it out later
1. Dylan Strome (Arizona)
2. William Nylander(Toronto)
3.Mitch Marner(Toronto)
4.Ivan Provorov (Philadelphia)
5. Mikko Rantanen(Colorado)
6. Zach Werenski(Columbus)
7.Ilya Samsonov(Washington)
8.Pavel Zacha (New jersey)
9. Kyle Connor (Winnipeg)
10. Christian Dvorak(Arizona)

The Hockey News "Future Watch" 2015 Magazine (Out now)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
But that’s what I said, the Oilers have been shit in the past 25 + years.

I don’t care much what the forum wants or thinks or who they didn’t want or how happy the fans are with a pick. That matters zero.

Yak was not a unanimous consensus pick at 1st overall among the teams and not even amongst Oiler scouts. Katz made the pick from all reports.

PJ I agree was pretty much a consensus as I said already, but when it came out the Oilers did not even bother to interview him it shows how they were suckered. Kekalainen did not want him for the exact reasons he is now refusing to play for the Oilers. Maybe just maybe the Oilers would have seen the same thing Kekalainen did had they bothered to actually talk to him before drafting him and then promising him top line minutes as an 18 year old. Ball. Dropped.

I only care about the results on the ice and the Oilers have failed, usually disastrously, in the first round time and time again.

The Oilers are incompetent, I don't think anybody will argue that but I can't fault for them for taking the consensus best player on the board especially Yak and Pulju. It's hindsight to say those were bad picks because at the time they were considered homeruns.

Now, picks like Moroz and Musil were obviously bad at the time with much higher upside prospects still on the board. Plante was a dumb pick from Day 1. The Reinhart trade was dumb from the moment it happened (although some Oil Kings fans were on board).

I still maintain that one of the biggest reasons for failure in the Decade of Darkness is the utter failure to develop any prospect outside of the 1st round, in particular the 2nd round which has been failure after failure outside of the one hit in Petry who they dealt for a 3rd. Literally, just one find in the 2nd round in what, 15 years?

Reactions: Bangers and Aerchon

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not true. I am more than happy about the Broberg pick as I have stated here numerous times. Just go back a couple of years to see how inaccurate these are. Everyone wants the forward that is flashy and develops faster. Are you willing to admit in 3 years when you were wrong on this board? I would be if so but will you?

2017 THN future watch

2016:

Hi I usually just lurk but I have the magazine here's the top 10 if anyone wants the whole list I can type it out later
1. Dylan Strome (Arizona)
2. William Nylander(Toronto)
3.Mitch Marner(Toronto)
4.Ivan Provorov (Philadelphia)
5. Mikko Rantanen(Colorado)
6. Zach Werenski(Columbus)
7.Ilya Samsonov(Washington)
8.Pavel Zacha (New jersey)
9. Kyle Connor (Winnipeg)
10. Christian Dvorak(Arizona)

The Hockey News "Future Watch" 2015 Magazine (Out now)

respectively disagree that Broberg will be considered a better pick than Zegras, Vasili Podkolzin, Cole Caufield, Alex Newhook (avs made a steel here) in about ten years time, I am not going off of the THN prospect standings, the THN has not been on their game for many years and many people think it is on its last legs

Reactions: Aerchon

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Oilers are incompetent, I don't think anybody will argue that but I can't fault for them for taking the consensus best player on the board especially Yak and Pulju. It's hindsight to say those were bad picks because at the time they were considered homeruns.

Now, picks like Moroz and Musil were obviously bad at the time with much higher upside prospects still on the board. Plante was a dumb pick from Day 1. The Reinhart trade was dumb from the moment it happened (although some Oil Kings fans were on board).

I agree with you about the hindsight to an extent however when it’s widely speculated and not refuted that Katz overruled the Oilers scouts on Yak and the Oilers didn’t bother to interview JP then I think you can make the argument the Oilers blew it.

Either way I don’t think you can argue that the Oilers draft record in the first round has been awful and has contributed to decades of bad hockey.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree with you about the hindsight to an extent however when it’s widely speculated and not refuted that Katz overruled the Oilers scouts on Yak and the Oilers didn’t bother to interview JP then I think you can make the argument the Oilers blew it.

Either way I don’t think you can argue that the Oilers draft record in the first round has been awful and has contributed to decades of bad hockey.

That's more a testament to how incompetent the Oilers than those being the wrong picks at the time.

I heard a rumor from somebody on another board at the time who I trusted that the Oilers were ready to take Reinhart before Katz finally overruled them. Can you imagine the shock of the hockey world if they took Reinhart?
Another interesting tidbit, that same person said they were going to take Strome (not Hanifin like most people thought) before winning the McLottery.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You might want to rephrase that.

Not all of us always find ourselves with a one track mind

Go back to when we got Klefbom, I knew he was going to be good, but he needed maturing and I can still defend the Larsson for Hall trade. I spend a lot of time in Sweden watching SHL games and I do not see Broberg on the level some people are putting him at.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I can

People are still hung up and what we gave up for him and not at what he has done. I think that he not recovered to his fathers death yet
Hey I like Larsson but that trade was still inexcusably bad.

Anyways back to Future Watch talk as Broberg v Zegras and Hall v Larsson have both been debated from here to eternity already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We needed D

When Klefbom and Larsson are on their game they are one of the best paring in the league

Every team has needs.

The smart teams find ways to address needs better than throwing away their (at the time) 2nd best player for a no.3 D-Man with no offensive game.

Stupid decisions like that are a big part of the reason we missed the playoffs for the last two years for really no good reason.

Toronto got Jake Muzzin, who is equal to or better than Larsson, for a few picks, they didn't give LA Mitch Marner.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The fact that Broberg is 24 and they have 3 guys drafted after him in the top 10? That's rough

Zegras, Knight and Podkolzin

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So you know Ken Holland well enough to make concrete statements like this about why he took Broberg? He "most likely" leaked the pick intentionally? OK, you must have a real insight into the mind of Ken Holland...or maybe Holland took BPA simple as that.
Zegras has proven exactly what already? Which scout said what you are repeating? And the Oilers have absolutely shit at drafting in the first round outside of the obvious choices.

Zegras has proven nothing.

Not all of us have completely lost our sense of humour.

And now this is funny:
“and I can still defend the Larsson for Hall trade”

I can

People are still hung up and what we gave up for him and not at what he has done. I think that he not recovered to his fathers death yet

Every team has needs.

The smart teams find ways to address needs better than throwing away their (at the time) 2nd best player for a no.3 D-Man with no offensive game.

Stupid decisions like that are a big part of the reason we missed the playoffs for the last two years for really no good reason.

Toronto got Jake Muzzin, who is equal to or better than Larsson, for a few picks, they didn't give LA Mitch Marner.

Not the proper place but most people who think the Hall for Larsson trade wad omfg bad are ones that were completely unfamiliar with Larsson and ignore how good he was his first year. I hated losing Hall, my favorite player, but was surprised NJD gave up Larsson who was their current best defender and trending up. He significantly better than any defender rumored to be available and on a great contract.

Broberg pick at the time and now looks really bad in comparison to the BPA Zegras. But as much as I am rubbing it in I know there is tons of time for Broberg to prove everyone wrong and I look forward to it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not the proper place but most people who think the Hall for Larsson trade wad omfg bad are ones that were completely unfamiliar with Larsson and ignore how good he was his first year. I hated losing Hall, my favorite player, but was surprised NJD gave up Larsson who was their current best defender and trending up. He significantly better than any defender rumored to be available and on a great contract.

Broberg pick at the time and now looks really bad in comparison to the BPA Zegras. But as much as I am rubbing it in I know there is tons of time for Broberg to prove everyone wrong and I look forward to it.

It was bad in summer 2016 and its still bad today and we wasted several years of McDavid and Draisaitl for no good reason.

We're only now getting back to where we should be by rebuilding our forward group depth and getting some good fortune in the Yamamoto pick.

Larsson is nothing more than a Steve Staois tier d-man and those players have value, but multiple teams have acquired players like this or better for a fraction of that cost.

The team weathered Larsson being out of the lineup for a month+ without any real problem this year.

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
For me, the main problem with Philip Broberg is he lacks hockey sense. He has great speed, he has good hands, good size - all of those boxes get checked.

When you watched Klefbom play, you could see how smart he was moving the puck and using body position. He was a flawed prospect but right out of the gate he could be used a lot defensively (Brodin and himself were special at the World Juniors). He knew the game well.

I don't get that from Broberg. A lot of his highlight reel plays are using his speed and forcing himself to the net - which doesn't always translate well to the NHL because the game is faster and it's harder to go end-to-end and have space to go to the net. He also doesn't strike me as an elite puckmoving D-man and his shot is alright. I don't see a lot of really smart plays from him though.

Broberg reminds me a lot of Nurse, although less physical. He'll make the NHL on his speed but I see him in pro having the puck die a lot on his stick trying to force plays - Nurse at least defensively has great ability 1v1 due to his toughness (coverage issues galore after). If Broberg doesn't have defensive issues, his upside to me is Nurse, which then begs me to wonder - if the team's plan going forward is Nurse and Broberg in the top 4, how redundant is that?

If anything, the Broberg pick to me always made me wonder which of himself or Nurse get traded down the line. If it's Klefbom, seems like a mistake even with the two right side puck-movers having bright futures to potentially carry pairings (Bouchard, Bear).

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
For me, the main problem with Philip Broberg is he lacks hockey sense. He has great speed, he has good hands, good size - all of those boxes get checked.

When you watched Klefbom play, you could see how smart he was moving the puck and using body position. He was a flawed prospect but right out of the gate he could be used a lot defensively (Brodin and himself were special at the World Juniors). He knew the game well.

I don't get that from Broberg. A lot of his highlight reel plays are using his speed and forcing himself to the net - which doesn't always translate well to the NHL because the game is faster and it's harder to go end-to-end and have space to go to the net. He also doesn't strike me as an elite puckmoving D-man and his shot is alright. I don't see a lot of really smart plays from him though.

Broberg reminds me a lot of Nurse, although less physical. He'll make the NHL on his speed but I see him in pro having the puck die a lot on his stick trying to force plays - Nurse at least defensively has great ability 1v1 due to his toughness (coverage issues galore after). If Broberg doesn't have defensive issues, his upside to me is Nurse, which then begs me to wonder - if the team's plan going forward is Nurse and Broberg in the top 4, how redundant is that?

If anything, the Broberg pick to me always made me wonder which of himself or Nurse get traded down the line. If it's Klefbom, seems like a mistake even with the two right side puck-movers having bright futures to potentially carry pairings (Bouchard, Bear).

There was a guy on here that said the organization thinks of Broberg as a second pairing guy down the road but better than Klefbom.... Claimed he had a source to support this. Weird if true. Since Klefbom is clearly our #1 in every conceivable way.

I think any rational person just looking at Broberg as is right has him a second pairing guy at best. That's not saying he couldn't end up the best defenseman of all time... but realistically second pairing is still rather optimistic.

Because of his value to the team I can't help but think Klefbom will be given a good extention and maybe they have Broberg lined up to take over for Nurse down the road... But I know the organization is very high on Nurse so who knows. It wouldn't surprise me that they value Nurse and Broberg over Klefbom despite the rather obvious fact that Klefbom is the better defenseman.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
A lot of people have short memories. It was bad value and still is but I think situational context is good.

The Oilers blue line at the time was absolute garbage and that’s being generous. They had just drafted McDavid but their blue line was still a disaster. Every GM in the league knew they desperately needed a top 3 defender and they weren’t going anywhere without one. The fan base was fed up with losing and it was clear they needed to get better at keeping the puck out of their own net if they were going to have a chance at making playoffs.

it’s easy to look back with hindsight but at the time Larsson was a young, right shot, who was a strong defender and had just had a good season that looked like his offensive game was blossoming. He was also signed to a good, long term deal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Imo i think they see Broberg as a great athlete that they hope can learn hockey better.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Not all of us always find ourselves with a one track mind

Go back to when we got Klefbom, I knew he was going to be good, but he needed maturing and I can still defend the Larsson for Hall trade. I spend a lot of time in Sweden watching SHL games and I do not see Broberg on the level some people are putting him at.

I remember how p**ed off people (including myself) were that Chicago selected McNeill. But when they turned around and selected Klefbom, I was pretty happy with the pick.

Yak and Pulju busts aside, the Oilers haven't been bad at drafting in the 1st round in a while (Klefbom and Eberle were both fantastic non-consensus picks). As it's been said on these boards ad nauseam, the vast majority of the teams in the league would have made the same pick. The big issue in the DOD was the Stu MacGregor coke machines they always wanted to select in the 2nd/3rd rounds. We had, what, one 2nd round pick (Petry) who turned out over that period?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
No one is happy about the broberg pick. There were several higher end players on the board
I'm not upset by it at all. Have any of the other players made an impact in the NHL?

Until that's a yes nobody really has any reasonable grounds to bitch about it. It's quite literally moaning for the sake of it right now.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
respectively disagree that Broberg will be considered a better pick than Zegras, Vasili Podkolzin, Cole Caufield, Alex Newhook (avs made a steel here) in about ten years time, I am not going off of the THN prospect standings, the THN has not been on their game for many years and many people think it is on its last legs

How are any of these picks steals after 1 year of junior play??? They haven't proven squat in the NHL yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad