This year rookies before season and now

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

Hawerchuk, Yzerman and Crosby really the only top 50 ones younger than Laine in their respective rookie years? Wow.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Anything per Game obviously is a flawed, flattering measure for the current rookies here in the context as it extrapolates from less than (the first) half of a season and presents their projected Goals or Points as good as the real proven full season figures by all the former rookies. The Walking of the Walk isn't halfway through yet.

The next four games can be nil-point games or they can be three-point games for our current crop of rookies, but once they're done they will account for ten percent of their NHL career total games. The numbers are very skewable at this point.

It's of course exciting that they quite plausibly can be three-point games for the top-tier guys, who seem to be somewhat more than your regular variety rookie.

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I have only watched 3 games with Winnepeg and Laine looked really underwhelming in them.

Have I just been unlucky or is he simply a goal scorer who looks pretty mediocre when he doesn't score?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I have only watched 3 games with Winnepeg and Laine looked really underwhelming in them.

Have I just been unlucky or is he simply a goal scorer who looks pretty mediocre when he doesn't score?

Yes, he's very mediocre-looking 18-y.o. NHL Top-3 goal scorer. :)

He's uneven and has more than enough off games where he's pretty invisible that are frustrating to watch as an audience member. But, that may be partially because when he's having an on game, with his utilization and skillset it's more likely than not to directly show on the scoreboard.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Really good year for rookies, will be interesting to see if any of them slow down as the season goes on and gets tougher.

Specifically for the Leafs, the rookies have made this team 100 times more fun to watch compared to last year.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

I think he's only had one game where he was dominating in a visually very impressive fashion. Against Detroit.

Laine is still bit raw and has tendency to "disappear" at times. So maybe you've just happened to catch him in his quieter nights. Obviously he's had several great games on top of the Detroit game too. But IMO that was the signature performance for him so far.

slikki

Nov 16, 2016
I think he's only had one game where he was dominating in a visually very impressive fashion. Against Detroit.

Laine is still bit raw and has tendency to "disappear" at times. So maybe you've just happened to catch him in his quieter nights. Obviously he's had several great games on top of the Detroit game too. But IMO that was the signature performance for him so far.

I think Laine was same kind of an player in FEL as well. One thing why I have been very surprised about the production in NHL.

How does Oilers fan see Puljujarvi situation? And here i'm not really looking to here any Finnish fan opinions :)

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Matthews - met
Laine - exceeded
Marner - exceeded
Werenski - exceeded
Provorov - exceeded
Aho - met
Tkachuk - exceeded
Nylander - met
Vesey - met
Konency - exceeded