This year rookies before season and now

slikki

Nov 16, 2016
Hey all,

Before season I thought I had some knowledge about rookies this year and now after 30-35 games is fun to look back and see what has been the most suprising things so far.

Me personally Matthews has been a little better than i expected specially in amount of goals. But he has been as good I thought he would been over all.
Laine has been way better than I expected.
I didnt even know the name Werensky before the season, same with Marner.
Nylander has been exactly what I expected.

Overall the season so far has been really exciting regarding the rookies.

I am eager to hear all of yours thoughts regarding what you thought before season and compare that what you are seeing now.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Hey all,

Before season I thought I had some knowledge about rookies this year and now after 30-35 games is fun to look back and see what has been the most suprising things so far.

Me personally Matthews has been a little better than i expected specially in amount of goals. But he has been as good I thought he would been over all.
Laine has been way better than I expected.
I didnt even know the name Werensky before the season, same with Marner.
Nylander has been exactly what I expected.

Overall the season so far has been really exciting regarding the rookies.

I am eager to hear all of yours thoughts regarding what you thought before season and compare that what you are seeing now.

Same opinions for most of them but Marner. Guys were drafting him years ago in fantasy leagues here in edmonton. Idk why he would be more known here than Nylander tho.(unless you're Swedish)

Laine and Mathews are top 2 picks that both killed it in championships (against nhl players) before they made the nhl so I'm not that suprised by them.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I had a feeling that Werenski was going to do well in the NHL, but I didn't think he would do this well this quickly. He did things for UMich that hadn't even been done before on an analytical scale, then went to Cleveland in the AHL once he turned pro, and within 5 games, was playing top pair and QBing the PP.

Matthews and Laine have both exceeded my expectations, but let's see how will they handle a full 82-game season. Tkachuk also doing better than I expected him to in Calgary, and he's playing on objectively Calgary's best line with Michael Backlund and Michael Frolik - dubbed the '3M line'.

Other than those rookies, none have really exceeded my expectations.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think mantha is showing he's not a bust like everyone thought he was.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
for some reason, that list isnt complete.. Missing atleast Selänne etc..

Read the search parameters it's less than 37 games played in a rookie season. Pretty specific.

Doesn't include anyone that played more than 36 games not players point totals in their first 36 games if they played more. The list is pretty awful otherwise.

(Anyone good probably played more than 36 games in their rookie season.)

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Read the search parameters it's less than 37 games played in a rookie season. Pretty specific.

Doesn't include anyone that played more than 36 games not players point totals in their first 36 games.
Then that list is really worthless.. I thought it would have been a list showing up rookies with their stats @ 36 game mark..

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Then that list is really worthless.. I thought it would have been a list showing up rookies with their stats @ 36 game mark..

Yeah I thought that too but I actually looked at it when you mentioned Selanne and then noticed the only good players had less than 36 games played.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Doesn't include anyone that played more than 36 games not players point totals in their first 36 games.

Exactly. Still Selänne's first 36 games should be there.

One doesn't compare half rookie season played now to historical full rookie seasons.

This is exactly same weirdness I encountered in nhl.com stats pages. Hmmm...

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Exactly. Still Selänne's first 36 games should be there.

One doesn't compare half rookie season played now to historical full rookie seasons.

This is exactly same weirdness I encountered in nhl.com stats pages. Hmmm...

It's because it's throwing out anyone that did play more than 36 games.

I'm not sure how you would search for every players first 36 games tbh. But that's not how.

Reasoner is around the top 20 on that search and most of the players don't even have links. Plus only a handfull of guys actually had 36 gp on the list.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It's because it's throwing out anyone that did play more than 36 games.

I'm not sure how you would search for every players first 36 games tbh. But that's not how.

Reasoner is around the top 20 on that search and most of the players don't even have links. Plus only a handfull of gus actually had 36 gp on the list.

Yep. It seems taking played games totals as filtering default but not allowing filtering included for individual games cumulatively up to certain amount of GP. It's obvious that a player that played his 56th rookie game, played also his 36th rookie game.

What ever, the point stands. Exceptional rookie season.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yep. It seems taking played games totals as filtering default but not allowing filtering included for individual games cumulatively up to certain amount of GP. It's obvious that a player that played his 56th rookie game, played also his 36th rookie game.

What ever, the point stands. Exceptional rookie season.

True would of been cool to see a list the way you wanted it tho. Could probably go by points per game to get something that might end up similar by the time the season ends.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
That is actually a pretty interesting list. Alot of guys are in different spots than I thought they would be. Why did you change the year tho?

For Practical reasons. First, to compose a list where this year's top rookies can be seen without needs to browse over several pages (yes, there are a lot rookies in NHL if we look over 100 years of NHL hockey). I choose that 94-95 season also for the fact that '80s scoring levels are that much higher that it hides pretty effectively our current rookies to the hordes of casual 3rd and 4th liners, norm then.

One must try to remember how many rookies there really have been if all of them are included, it doesn't necessarily be clear immediately that being on spots 200-300th or so on the all times rookie list as a group average after 25-30+ games played doesn't indicate they are somehow bad. I just set 20 games played as an arbitrary limit for "an established rookie".

Thus filtering it that way.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
For Practical reasons. First, to compose a list where this year's top rookies can be seen without needs to browse over several pages (yes, there are a lot rookies in NHL if we look over 100 years of NHL hockey). I choose that 94-95 season also for the fact that '80s scoring levels are that much higher that it hides pretty effectively our current rookies to the hordes of casual 3rd and 4th liners, norm then.

One must try to remember how many rookies there really have been if all of them are included, it doesn't necessarily be clear immediately that being on spots 200-300th or so on the all times rookie list as a group average after 25-30+ games played doesn't indicate they are somehow bad. I just set 20 games played as an arbitrary limit for "an established rookie".

Thus filtering it that way.

Fair enough was just curious cuz you changed it from your last one. If you go back much longer there aren't that many people that are still playing anyways.

Is kinda funny you made the list to not include Selanne again tho

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yep. Maybe best way to look at it, and to the point I tried to make. Roughly era adjusted.

Rookie seasons more then 20 games played, Since lockout season 1994-95, sorted by PPG:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...1val=20&threshhold=5&order_by=points_per_game

Changing the sorting to Goals per Game, Patrik becomes 2nd after Ovechkin and Auston is the 6th. Pure insanity. Which I welcome, what with rooting them to be the first pair of rookies to both score 40+ since Selanne and Lindros.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Expected the Leafs three to perform the way they are (tho didn't expect Matthews to get as many goals, point totals expected the same), Laine performing to expectations as well. Pul I thought would have done better on that Oilers team. Werenski is a big surprise for a first year.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Matthew Tkachuk has exceeded my expectations so far. He's so smart all over the ice. That's why he's been able to play against opponents' top lines. He's also so gritty, though he probably takes too many penalties.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The bill of goods Calgary was sold about Tkachuk were completely false. Was kind of expecting him to be slow as molasses and a passenger (because he was carried by Marner & Matthews OFC). All he's done is be an absolute beauty.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Zacha does a lot of the little things right and occasionally shows flashes of brilliance, but is generally lacking confidence and doesn't make the best decisions.

I don't envy his circumstances, a 19 year old getting juggled around on an awful team.

Ideally he should be in the AHL but the stupid transfer rule means it's juniors or NHL. He has all the physical tools, I'm confident the rest will come.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The bill of goods Calgary was sold about Tkachuk were completely false. Was kind of expecting him to be slow as molasses and a passenger (because he was carried by Marner & Matthews OFC). All he's done is be an absolute beauty.

Marner and Dvorak-Both did outproduce him in London.
Matthews was in Switzerland. Drafted by Everett.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00