This would be the final year of Rick DiPietro's contract

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Lol I'm actually an accountant.

Anyone needs an accountant?
then I can't hire you for your math skills. Accounting and math are only partially related..
After all Buying a car outright is a bad business decision but leasing it is good. (Accounting is math but then uses law to make mincemeat of said math :P )

Nothing personal but the law stuff gets in the way :)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
DiPietro was a very average NHL player, but he has clearly won at the game of life.

Every night, DiPietro must be on his knees, thanking one man...

LivelyFrequentJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

Was Snow in charge at the time, not Mad Mike.

However, I believe it was Charles Wang who pushed for the contract to be done. He wanted DiPi signed for that long.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, at one point he looked better than Luongo. But the contract was always fishy to me. You don't know what's gonna happen in 5 years let alone 15. I understand the premise but its just too big of a risk.

I imagine the contract must've been insured. Like yea it cost them a lot of money for a player that didn't play for them but at the same time most big contracts are insured. I wonder what the impact really is. Like say you sign someone to a 10 year deal, if they're on LTIR for 5 of them then the team doesn't have to pay (or only have to pay a portion) if the contract is insured.

All in all mostly a cap related problem after the buyout if my assumption is correct, which it might not be. Certainly the contract was bad though, especially for a goalie.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I remember going to a game when he trying to comeback and he was named one of the stars of the game. As he came out to acknowledge the cheers of the crowd, one of the Islanders Ice Girls
held the Islanders banner too low and DiPietro tripped and fell to the ice.

Islanders had drafted Roberto Luongo a couple years earlier and he was beginning to develop. But Mad Mike HAD to draft a loud mouth goalie like himself (he was mad Luongo spent one afternoon moving and gave up 5 goals that night behind that all star defence he assembled).

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
DiPietro had a truly strange career, but IMO, the fact that players used to sign 15-year contracts rings even stranger. It wasn't even that long ago, but the pre-lockout years seem like such a bygone era for the league.

those 10 plus year contracts actually started after this signing. It was used to get around the cap but just almost always such a dumb idea. It’s one of the reasons why there was a lockout in 2012 due to ridiculous contracts like this one.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
DiPietro was a very average NHL player, but he has clearly won at the game of life.

Every night, DiPietro must be on his knees, thanking one man...

LivelyFrequentJellyfish-size_restricted.gif
For a brief time, before he received injuries, the contract was fair. They had a budding elite young goalie who even was the #1 for the Americans during the 06 Olympics. He also briefly was a top tier goalie for a bad team before becoming injured.

The term was nuts and in retrospect, the contract was bad but there was a time where it was believed he was the next elite goalie and had already started plying like one. Unfortunately, injuries ruined his career but had they not have, he very well may have lived up to the contract. He took huge term to keep the cap hit low which was fairly standard if you look at some of the other contracts of the early salary cap era.

Jeff Skinner’s contract is worse than Rick’s IMO. At least you could bury him on LTIR. But yeah, either way those 10 year, cap circumventing contracts were pretty bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad