This would be the final year of Rick DiPietro's contract

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
DiPIETRO SIGNED TO 15-YEAR DEAL

1,5 million annual payments will continue till the 28-29 season, tho.

f97527abce3d41969411d0451a2675fe.jpg

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
DiPietro was a very average NHL player, but he has clearly won at the game of life.

Every night, DiPietro must be on his knees, thanking one man...

"I'm extremely appreciative of the commitment (Islanders owner) Charles Wang and Garth have made to me," said DiPietro, a Massachusetts native who now lives on Long Island year-round. "I won't let them, my coaches, my teammates or the fans down."

He was extremely appreciative even then. I remember there was a rumor that Michael Peca was going to have a 10 year contract too but someone in the organization convinced Wang not to do that in the end. Peca must be still angry :laugh:

Reactions: DaveG

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
The interest rate on Rick DiPietro's annuity has reached 6%.

Do you know where your children are?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
There should be NY Lottery scratch off games based on his and Bobby Bonillas contracts.

It’s been 20 years since Bobby Bo played (10 years since the deferred payments started) and he still has another 14 years of getting paid. That’s just insane. To put it into context, his 24 years of deferred payments are longer than the careers of all but 10 players in MLB history.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's still mindboggling that the Islanders gave him that contract. When he signed that deal, he had 2 full seasons in the NHL with decent stats, but that's really about it. How could you justify a 15 year contract for what he had actually accomplished in the NHL?

Even the AAV that DiPietro got wasn't that much of a discount. His cap hit in 2006 is about the equivalent of an $8.25 million cap hit today and I don't even think that $4.5 million today for his track record is even that great, that would have been like giving Korpisalo a 15 year, $4.5 million AAV deal.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Contract was the right idea (sign a 1st overall pick franchise player to a 15 year deal as the cap rises), wrong player.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I still say this wasn't a bad contract. It just turned out bad due to injuries, but the idea was right.

Imagine if instead of Dipietro it was Fleury who signed that contract 15 years ago? 4.5M$ AAV for a #1 goalie is a really good value. It's mostly all injury/health related why Dipietro couldn't become a consistent #1 goalie isn't it? Bad luck/fortune for sure, but I still have no real issue with the contract.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Was it the GM or the owner that came up with this great idea?
By all reports, DiPietro and Wang were pretty good friends. Wang probably pushed Milbury to sign him to the deal, even though Milbury was probably trying to trade him for a package of players.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I still say this wasn't a bad contract. It just turned out bad due to injuries, but the idea was right.

Imagine if instead of Dipietro it was Fleury who signed that contract 15 years ago? 4.5M$ AAV for a #1 goalie is a really good value. It's mostly all injury/health related why Dipietro couldn't become a consistent #1 goalie isn't it? Bad luck/fortune for sure, but I still have no real issue with the contract.

It's a bad contract and a bad idea. There are not a lot of goalies that you should give 15 years contract when they're 26. The risk is huge and Fleury is one of the few examples where it might have worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad