This was the plan....

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Elway

iirc, he has loans lined up.
Elway! And I just watched that 30 for 30 about that draft class a few months ago. I should have remembered.
A quick google search will tell you what you want to know. His net worth, as of 2023, is 2B.
Yeah, as much as people don't consider Forbes to be reliable, I trust them quite a bit more than celebritynetworth.com.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Forbes keeps track of billionaires worldwide, and of the 2578 on their list, Meruelo is nowhere to be found.

Forbes Billionaires 2022: The Richest People In The World

So the narrative of "We finally have an owner with deep pockets that's gonna turn this around" maybe isn't something we should be the house on, eh? Maybe he's got investors for TED lined up around the block, I don't know, but is it concerning? Sure is.
I didn't see Bill Foley of Vegas, or Aquilini of Vancouver or Dundon of Carolina or Wirtz of Chicago or McConnell of Columbus. Might be concerning, who knows for sure but I wouldn't make my final decision based on a Forbes article.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I am not sure if anyone posted this, but I thought this was a great interview with BA. It is worth watching. It answers a lot of questions folks have on here and explains a lot of his thinking. Even though I think he is taking ownership mandate out of the equation, it is very good insight.

Reactions: ck26

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Tempering expectations for those who think the Coyotes are only a year or two away from being a perennial playoff contender....unless anyone thinks the Coyotes are at the same stage of their rebuild as the Red Wings... I'd say they are roughly 2 years behind the Red Wings. I think BA might have said after the deadline he considered the Coyotes 50% into their rebuild up from 40%?

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Tempering expectations for those who think the Coyotes are only a year or two away from being a perennial playoff contender....unless anyone thinks the Coyotes are at the same stage of their rebuild as the Red Wings... I'd say they are roughly 2 years behind the Red Wings. I think BA might have said after the deadline he considered the Coyotes 50% into their rebuild up from 40%?

Not sure how to answer this, I said in a post a loooong time ago that the Coyotes won't even sniff the playoffs for at least 3 years (when the rebuild truly began). Comparing the 'Yotes to the Deadwings is not accurate, Detroit hasn't been in the playoffs since the 2015-2016 season, AND won't make it this year.

So my question is this- if the Coyotes make it to the playoffs in UNDER eight years, is that a plus for BA??

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure how to answer this, I said in a post a loooong time ago that the Coyotes won't even sniff the playoffs for at least 3 years (when the rebuild truly began). Comparing the 'Yotes to the Deadwings is not accurate, Detroit hasn't been in the playoffs since the 2015-2016 season, AND won't make it this year.

So my question is this- if the Coyotes make it to the playoffs in UNDER eight years, is that a plus for BA??
You are crazy. If we aren't in the playoffs by the time the arena is ready in 26 or at least sniffing around like Buffalo and Ottawa are this year, there will be people pointing fingers.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Detroit may be the one team that can complain more than AZ about the luck of the draft lottery.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

I think your answer isn't needed because we have similar expectations....and you weren't the intended audience.

Would you agree the Red Wings rebuild is about 2 years ahead of the Coyotes? I'm not comparing the Coyotes to them, rather comparing against.

I suspect Schmaltz will be our Bertuzzi that gets traded at the deadline one of the next 2 seasons. Chychrun = Hronek

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Detroit may be the one team that can complain more than AZ about the luck of the draft lottery.

They had three issues.
1. The biggest issue was changing GMs. Wonder what this would have looked like if it was just Yzerman leading the way the entire time. He only took over for the 2019 draft. Bet he would make the argument this is year four not year six.

2. They had some big expensive contracts for players way over the hill they needed to shed. They couldn't be as agile early on to a mass picks

3. They really got hosed on their drafts. Not trying to defend them because they have been a top org for a long time but the 2017 and 2018 drafts were very weak and they picked poorly. Yzerman started turning it around but they go Seider (who looks great but isn't a Dahlin type talent or obviously not as lucky as NJ was) and Raymond in 2020 (not exactly on par with Stutzle but again, looks pretty good). They managed to outplay their position last season in a top heavy draft yet again. They really need to take the shotgun approach and hope that they can find more gems with multiple selections.

We got pretty lucky since BA took over.
2020: Caught a faller in Guenther. He was as high as 3rd overall at points his draft year. I'm sure there are many who have him higher then 9th in a redraft and he hasn't broken out yet. We also got Moser which getting two hits in one draft is a huge accomplishment. Could have three with Doan. Shockingly DET didn't have multiple 1sts in either 2019 or 2020. They did have three 2nds in 2020 and may have gotten some gems.
Result: potential top 6 winger and top 4 defenseman.

2021: I'd argue that most would have Cooley 1OA in a redraft. I could see some still making the argument for Jiricek, maaaaaybe Nemec but I think the majority would take Cooley 1st now. I'd say this draft year was similar to 2019 for DET. Seider probably would be #2 or #3 for most people now in redraft. Then we got project center Geekie and defensemen Maverick/Duda.
Results: Potential 1C + three project picks that have massive ceilings (three 1st round selections). DET finally has multiple selections in 2021 landing a top defenseman and top goalie prospect. 2022 they played themselves out of the top two tiers of players and ended up with a safe 2/3C prospect (I'm sure their fans believe he is a 1C lol).

2023: the draft will obviously be very very important for us. But again with DET gunning for a playoff spot they will be grabbing someone in that third tier of players. They have multiple 1sts though so maybe the move up or attempt to take more shots at it.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm shocked looking back at how their rebuild has gone even since Yzerman came in. Gotta wonder if he was their for 2017 and 2018 of they have Necas or Vilardi over Rasmussen and Hughes or Dobson over Zadina and how different that team would look now.

Raymond-Larkin-Necas
Seider-Hughes

Wow

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I am not sure if anyone posted this, but I thought this was a great interview with BA. It is worth watching. It answers a lot of questions folks have on here and explains a lot of his thinking. Even though I think he is taking ownership mandate out of the equation, it is very good insight.

I like the interview, but he is wrong about Hamilton. He never won a calder.

• Haha
Reactions: PainForShane

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
You are crazy. If we aren't in the playoffs by the time the arena is ready in 26 or at least sniffing around like Buffalo and Ottawa are this year, there will be people pointing fingers.
I'm counting our rebuild at 18mths. So moving forward, another 18mths puts it in the 2024-25 range. But 2025-26 should be exciting. With what has happened to the 'Yotes, finger pointing would probably be put in the "meh" crowd.

Reactions: Summer Rose

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
They had three issues.
1. The biggest issue was changing GMs. Wonder what this would have looked like if it was just Yzerman leading the way the entire time. He only took over for the 2019 draft. Bet he would make the argument this is year four not year six.

2. They had some big expensive contracts for players way over the hill they needed to shed. They couldn't be as agile early on to a mass picks

3. They really got hosed on their drafts. Not trying to defend them because they have been a top org for a long time but the 2017 and 2018 drafts were very weak and they picked poorly. Yzerman started turning it around but they go Seider (who looks great but isn't a Dahlin type talent or obviously not as lucky as NJ was) and Raymond in 2020 (not exactly on par with Stutzle but again, looks pretty good). They managed to outplay their position last season in a top heavy draft yet again. They really need to take the shotgun approach and hope that they can find more gems with multiple selections.

2020: Caught a faller in Guenther. He was as high as 3rd overall at points his draft year. I'm sure there are many who have him higher then 9th in a redraft and he hasn't broken out yet. We also got Moser which getting two hits in one draft is a huge accomplishment. Could have three with Doan. Shockingly DET didn't have multiple 1sts in either 2019 or 2020. They did have three 2nds in 2020 and may have gotten some gems.

2021: I'd argue that most would have Cooley 1OA in a redraft. I could see some still making the argument for Jiricek, maaaaaybe Nemec but I think the majority would take Cooley 1st now. I'd say this draft year was similar to 2019 for DET. Seider probably would be #2 or #3 for most people now in redraft. Then we got project center Geekie and defensemen Maverick/Duda.
Results: Potential 1C + three project picks that have massive ceilings (three 1st round selections). DET finally has multiple selections in 2021 landing a top defenseman and top goalie prospect. 2022 they played themselves out of the top two tiers of players and ended up with a safe 2/3C prospect (I'm sure their fans believe he is a 1C lol).

2023: the draft will obviously be very very important for us. But again with DET gunning for a playoff spot they will be grabbing someone in that third tier of players. They have multiple 1sts though so maybe the move up or attempt to take more shots at it.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm shocked looking back at how their rebuild has gone even since Yzerman came in. Gotta wonder if he was their for 2017 and 2018 of they have Necas or Vilardi over Rasmussen and Hughes or Dobson over Zadina and how different that team would look now.

Raymond-Larkin-Necas
Seider-Hughes

Wow

Imo... this is a really good post. Only thing I would give BA some credit for is sticking w Cooley rather than shifting over to Wright after he fell a few places -- but that's minor. Everything else here is well thought out and seems 100% on point.

Would give this 10 or 15 likes if I could. Thx for posting this

Reactions: Matias Maccete

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
They had three issues.

Raymond-Larkin-Necas
Seider-Hughes

Wow
@Grimes Excellent post bro.

I think we're a playoff team come 2025-2026, the final year we're in Mullett. I think we've also positioned ourselves to maybe even get there sooner with what we have already, the picks we've hit on here you laid out, a shrewd trade or two, and/or a little Bedard luck.

Lot can happen in that time. But this much draft ammo is a great place to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad