Post-Game Talk: This was definitely a game

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
To a certain point too... how do you not be frustrated?

It's clear the whistles get put away to everyone looking. Refs must have let the tired Kraken get away with like 15 stupid stick infractions that are gimme calls and call a couple weak ones on the Oilers just because that's what keeps the game close.

Idk it just doesn't make sense to me. How much money and hype would be generated from McDavid encroaching on a record breaking season? Yet the other team is allowed to tackle him 50 ft from the puck without a call? Come on...
Sometimes it's frustrating, when it's supremely blatant. But for the most part it's like this for everyone I think. Some games it goes your way other nights it doesn't. But I don't feel like we're ever being intentionally targeted and I get the impression some think we do.

For every time someone says the other team gets away with something, I can find a play where we get away with something. I agree about game management being shitty. It just seems like an overly incessant thing here, especially since McDavid piped up. I don't think reffing is ever the reason a team wins or loses, barring very extreme, rare occurances.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Reading a GDT is like 60% complaining about reffing and 40% about the actual game. Like I get it, it's not great. But God damn.
Well I’ll do the math then…60+40=100.

100% about the game is the correct answer.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Too many high danger chances against. We are winning but not because of our defensive prowess. Goaltending and offensive depth are getting it done.

There have been some periods we’ve been scary bad defensively. When we traded for Keith I was ecstatic. The current Keith is just okay. He gets outmuscled often and his skating isn’t as elite as it once was. He’s slowed down noticeably. He used to be Quinn Hughes fast.
Sure....whatever you say...I'll enjoy us having a good team, you do you.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Sometimes it's frustrating, when it's supremely blatant. But for the most part it's like this for everyone I think. Some games it goes your way other nights it doesn't. But I don't feel like we're ever being intentionally targeted and I get the impression some think we do.

For every time someone says the other team gets away with something, I can find a play where we get away with something. I agree about game management being shitty. It just seems like an overly incessant thing here, especially since McDavid piped up. I don't think reffing is ever the reason a team wins or loses, barring very extreme, rare occurances.

In general, I agree. The only caveat is that it does seem to take a little more to get the call if the infraction is against McDavid. Even on calls against Oilers opponents. JP and KY get calls that are often overlooked when committed against McDavid. Generally, I don't mind how refs officiate around Draisaitl, as I think he tends to give back as much as he receives.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Well I’ll do the math then…60+40=100.

100% about the game is the correct answer.
Lol you know what I mean.

All I'm saying is that while yes game management sucks ass, it's something every team and player deals with. We know the whistles will get put away, so you just have to grin and bear it. I'd rather see the boys clamp down and start playing the same game. Don't sit there and look at the refs for calls. Get your ass back in the play and dish out the same crap.

The Canucks used to drive me nuts back in the day because they were always looking for calls that clearly weren't coming. That's why they lost the cup, because they refused to play the game. I agree it ain't right, but it is what it is.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
In general, I agree. The only caveat is that it does seem to take a little more to get the call if the infraction is against McDavid. Even on calls against Oilers opponents. JP and KY get calls that are often overlooked when committed against McDavid. Generally, I don't mind how refs officiate around Draisaitl, as I think he tends to give back as much as he receives.
Certainly. It's why I laugh when people cry about McDavid being dirty or cheap.

Like, nah he's just giving what he gets and then some and I'm happy to see it.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Too many high danger chances against. We are winning but not because of our defensive prowess. Goaltending and offensive depth are getting it done.

There have been some periods we’ve been scary bad defensively. When we traded for Keith I was ecstatic. The current Keith is just okay. He gets outmuscled often and his skating isn’t as elite as it once was. He’s slowed down noticeably. He used to be Quinn Hughes fast.
First. Obviously Keith isn’t as fast but he has been one of our most consistent defenders.
For us having such terrible D we sure are doing well in the GA department. Oh and you don’t think the increase of offence has anything to do with having defenders who can actually move the puck? Like your giveaway comment I would love to see something that backs up all your claims.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

All I'm saying is that while yes game management sucks ass, it's something every team and player deals with. We know the whistles will get put away, so you just have to grin and bear it. I'd rather see the boys clamp down and start playing the same game. Don't sit there and look at the refs for calls. Get your ass back in the play and dish out the same crap.

The Canucks used to drive me nuts back in the day because they were always looking for calls that clearly weren't coming. That's why they lost the cup, because they refused to play the game. I agree it ain't right, but it is what it is.

Yeah lets dish out the same crap. Whenever the Seattle Superstars are on the ice we should be holding and interfering. No, well, wait, who are they?

One team is a lunchbucket club thats even hard to get up for within 10 games of the season. Kraken have already settled into their suitable depth at the bottom of the ocean exploring mud and sunk carrion. Probably the hardest thing playing them is that off smell of dead things that Detroit used to give off. Kind of a retching inducing odor.

i mean its amazing all these comments in a 5-2 W where the Oilers scored 2mins in and never trailed and had multiple multiple goal leads.

"We should win better, we should get it together, we should win this game more than we are..."

People don't look around. Minny somehow lost to this club 4-1 with Talbot in net and they gave up 40 shots, somehow, and a guy with 9 career goals somehow scored twice. Strange things happen in hockey. The Oilers conversely have played well enough to win every game. We didn't fall down against the Flames like every other soggy mop team in the league is doing. What would be the stench here if we lost a game 4-0 like almost every other team is managing to do this season.

Only two clubs in the league with a better record so far. Even those clubs have had some close calls. We lost one game that we should have won based on play.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Reading a GDT is like 60% complaining about reffing and 40% about the actual game. Like I get it, it's not great. But God damn.
i agree with you,

but at the same time the oilers PP is their weapon and if that gets taken away in the playoffs again its bad for the team

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Larsson is one of the best right handed shutdown defensemen in the league. You're talking about passing. Larsson isn't all that slow either.

Odd comparison, but I'd take Larsson over Keith quite easily.

Keith has been impactful as a good second pair option, but he has a tendency to get outmuscled and his pivots aren't quite what they used to be. He's still got an elite mind for the game, but he's definitely limited in ability at this point in his career.
Larsson is not fast. He’s strong and good with his body and stick. Rush wise, he can be beat easily unless he uses his stick properly. Even in his draft year he was questioned about his skating. Sorry but I don’t see where Larsson is better than Keith. Keith is good with his stick as well and is great positionally

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nah, McD didn't have the competitive anger last night and this was McD lite all game. He wasn't even picking his spots. At one point in game he tries to accelerate through 3 kraken while we're on a line change instead of just dumping puck in. He was making low percentage plays, wasn't beating relatively slow D, wasn't exposing the Kraken.

heh. I don't mind McD's terminator persona on ice. Especially against the Flames. Hard to manufacture it though against the Kraken, I realize.

The results last night speak to the two players aspects. Drai doesn't have to psyche himself up or hate the opposition. He exploits weaknesses while surveying them. McD is more rote with rocket button, unhuman speed and dexterity, and elite skillsets. But he's susceptible to having off nights when his head isn't in the game. With Drai I think its predicated on how he's feeling physically, whether he's off or on.

Respectfully disagree. I try not to project too much into what players think or feel. Last night was not a great night for the game's best player or tellingly his whole line (still second in shots, Pool Party had zero and Hyman three). There were a couple prospective penalties not called which reflect at minimum his effort to create offence. What you're written I actually perceive as reverting back to old habits of trying to bend the game to his will with his solo, penetrating game and ability to do so. Never would I doubt McDavid's legendary competitiveness which we hear extends beyond winning in hockey. His teammates have joked about it.

McDavid has one switch on ice and it is to win at all costs. Same fuel that drove generational players like Gretzky, Crosby and rarified few. To see him break that for a fleeting moment with a former team was fun to see.

It was great to see Draisaitl drive his line and the team's success with the top line sputtering. He does so many things at elite levels and it showed with being dialled in again in the face-off dot after two horrible games. To be among the league's best as a sniper and distributor is special as it is to drive his own line's success. I probably enjoy Draisaitl's media avails more than any other Oiler player (and frankly disregard a lot of player interviews including Connor's as rote, cliche) refreshing for his candor, articulate, and intelligence. His comments and excitement for Yamamoto getting on the scoreboard were great. He is a great teammate singularly focused on winning and absolutely driven to driving its success.

Fortunate to have two elites and on nights when one isn't necessarily going to have greater team depth to help carry the load. It's all about the W's as both share repeatedly. Team first and team success is what matters.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Our record is 7-1 and it appears that we have improved to the point we are going to be a playoff team. We are not without warts however. Holland should be using this regular season to analyze their short comings. Is Yamo top six going forward? Is Bouchard 1RD? What are our in system options? Is Skinner an NHL option going forward? Is there a top six option in the system? Is Sammy ready to take a spot in our 6D? Do we have better options for our 4th line than the five we are using now? I don’t want to start next season with definite maybes like Bouchard was this season. Get your “options” in some games. I don’t want us to fall flat come playoffs. Explore possible trades now for the deadline to ensure our depth players can contribute this year. It’s time to go all in!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Respectfully disagree. I try not to project too much into what players think or feel. Last night was not a great night for the game's best player or tellingly his whole line (still second in shots, Pool Party had zero and Hyman three). There were a couple prospective penalties not called which reflect at minimum his effort to create offence. What you're written I actually perceive as reverting back to old habits of trying to bend the game to his will with his solo, penetrating game and ability to do so. Never would I doubt McDavid's legendary competitiveness which we hear extends beyond winning in hockey. His teammates have joked about it.

McDavid has one switch on ice and it is to win at all costs. Same fuel that drove generational players like Gretzky, Crosby and rarified few. To see him break that for a fleeting moment with a former team was fun to see.

It was great to see Draisaitl drive his line and the team's success with the top line sputtering. He does so many things at elite levels and it showed with being dialled in again in the face-off dot after two horrible games. To be among the league's best as a sniper and distributor is special as it is to drive his own line's success. I probably enjoy Draisaitl's media avails more than any other Oiler player (and frankly disregard a lot of player interviews including Connor's as rote, cliche) refreshing for his candor, articulate, and intelligence. His comments and excitement for Yamamoto getting on the scoreboard were great. He is a great teammate singularly focused on winning and absolutely driven to driving its success.

Fortunate to have two elites and on nights when one isn't necessarily going to have greater team depth to help carry the load. It's all about the W's as both share repeatedly. Team first and team success is what matters.
Was interesting that Keith said Drai was first to call him and text him and welcome him to the club. "It means a lot" Yeah, Drai has also shown a different side this season, much more mirth, clowning around in the post games and having fun. The scoring jk around between him and McD has also been some fun. I mean to see the games two best players mock throwing shade at the other is classic worthy. But you can tell the competition is there too. For instance McD caught Drai in career goals and was way ahead on the season and Drai says hold my bear and light lamps every game.

Have to say Keith is now my favorite interview. Thats a side I wasn't expecting to see. So articulate. Can see why so many Hawks fans love him. The guy seems really deep as well. Wasn't expecting that either.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Our record is 7-1 and it appears that we have improved to the point we are going to be a playoff team. We are not without warts however. Holland should be using this regular season to analyze their short comings. Is Yamo top six going forward? Is Bouchard 1RD? What are our in system options? Is Skinner an NHL option going forward? Is there a top six option in the system? Is Sammy ready to take a spot in our 6D? Do we have better options for our 4th line than the five we are using now? I don’t want to start next season with definite maybes like Bouchard was this season. Get your “options” in some games. I don’t want us to fall flat come playoffs. Explore possible trades now for the deadline to ensure our depth players can contribute this year. It’s time to go all in!

I agree - another top 6 forward, a goalie and another veteran D man, 4th line depth and we can make some noise.

Depending on the quality of the goalie I don't think the acquisition cost would even be that high for any of these needs.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Man where are you getting this from? It’s clear you haven’t watched Keith or Ceci play for Edmonton yet. Both are faster than and Better than Larsson/Kulikov. I like how you didn’t even talk about Keith’s quick thinking and positioning/stick checking

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I agree - another top 6 forward, a goalie and another veteran D man, 4th line depth and we can make some noise.

Depending on the quality of the goalie I don't think the acquisition cost would even be that high for any of these needs.
I think Yamo will break out now. That goal he scored was a huge weight lifted off his shoulders

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
upload_2021-11-2_13-50-42.jpeg

do-something-meme.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Yamo will break out now. That goal he scored was a huge weight lifted off his shoulders

I even called it. The one time I said Yama would score this season, he scores, lol...

You could pay me something to say it more often. I'm amenable.

jk aside it just seemed natural he would score against Seattle. Probably pretending he was playing a WHL squad and the Kraken make that premise believable most of the time.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Even if he does break out I still think another player in the top 6 will push some depth down the lineup to really kill it. Actually think a rock solid 3rd line C (Getzlaf in a dream) would be a better add than a winger.

McDavid
Leon
Getzlaf?
Ryan

These guys down the gut win you cups.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019

It’s just so effing hard to watch. It doesn’t help that they got humiliated in the playoffs against the Jets in part because of this very issue so yah it’s a tender topic for a lot of fans including myself.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Larsson is a slug and it impacts his ability to keep pucks in the offensvie zone because he has to back out to not get burnt. Keith today is better than Larsson in his best year of his career
Again, you're talking about offense when discussing a defenseman. He was actually very effective on the offensive cycle in his time in Edmonton, so 'keeping pucks in' was never an overly large problem when it came to his game here. Particularly considering a significant amount of the time he spent on the ice in his final years in Edmonton was with the lines that consistently got buried. So he spent a lot of that time defending.

The biggest criticism of him has always been his inability to move the puck quickly, which is a major reason why he never became an elite all-around defenseman.

Larsson is one of the most reliable right shot defenseman when it comes to matching up against elite competition. When it comes to being saddled with poor quality linemates. When it comes to anticipating the other team's attack. When it comes to controlling gaps, cutting off passing lanes and negating cycles. Playing defense.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I don't think, and expect many would agree, the Oilers have played a complete game as of yet. That is somewhat worrying. However, I would also say they have had wins where 4 different lines (McDrai, McD, Drai, Ryan) were the best line in the game. Only a bit of an exaggeration to say that is 4 more lines than there were best lines leading to wins last year. That is a real positive.

Reactions: Zamknij kurwa ryj

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I think Keith/Ceci are certainly better then Kulikov/Russell. Idk about Larsson, I will have to see more to make that call. Overall, I think the D is moderately better then last year BUT I think regardless, if we had the same D as last year we would probably be pretty close to the same position we are in right now.

We are off to a sick start because 1. McDrai 2. Deep offence 3. special teams. While the defense has been somewhat better I dont think its one of the top reasons we are at the top of the div and I am still not convinced its good enough to make it to SCF or WCF. I am open to be proven wrong, but from my view we still give up to many shots, high danger chances and get walked too often.

This is all with the caveat that Keith and Ceci are wayyyyyyy better then I predicted and I have eaten some crow on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad