Salary Cap: This Thread will Self-Destruct in 10 Kessel Posts (Part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It would be a complete waste of time because of the bold. Teams go outside the realm of normalcy all the time. Players do things you would think would never happen (didn't Jagr sign with the Flyers when it was basically a shoe in that he was coming back?), teams make desperate decisions that don't make sense (Despres for Lovejoy).

So why spend your time criticizing everyone else's suggestions which are based on information we do know, without providing an alternative?

Basically what you are saying here is "I don't like your opinion and other stuff could happen". Wow really great insight there.

Look none of us think (as far as I can tell) that the Pens trading for Kessel has a very realistic chance of happening (ie greater than 20%), but it seems logical and probably more logical than Kessel being traded to the majority of other teams in the league. For whatever reason, you just want to continually criticize the idea without providing a realistic alternative. Carry on I guess but it's pretty annoying.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Everything I've ever heard about Kessel screams "Pittsburgh." He'd love this city. Media lets you do your thing, fans are supportive but not crazy, and everything comes with meatballs on it.

is he a local player? that seems to be the new directive. jr has been given orders to fill his new p.r. quota of local players. [as per tiops]

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
How do you figure? Contracts are looked at as assets on a balance sheet during ownership negotiations, just like anything else.

Maybe as an individual commitment it looks potentially derogatory. But taken in the greater context of this being a "spending to the cap" team for quite some time and the majority ownership not changing at all (only a small minority share), I can't see the impact that a $8mil/yr for Kessel vs $8mil/yr for spare parts would have on the sale of any stake in the team.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
He would have waived his NTC fully then as late as after the Cup was presented.

Why hold off on waiving his NTC until after the draft? Before and at the draft is the best place for him to be moved. Not once UFA hits.

Again, didn't he submit his list in July of last year? I am honestly just wondering, I thought I saw it somewhere.

Toronto did Kessel no favors and let him get shat upon by the media and fans... why in the world would Kessel want to help them out when he holds all the leverage.

What if TOR went to him and said "Look, if you want out, we will ship you to X right now". And after getting shat upon by the media and fans, don't you think he would just accept?

So many variables, so many options.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
What if TOR went to him and said "Look, if you want out, we will ship you to X right now". And after getting shat upon by the media and fans, don't you think he would just accept?

or he might say I'm not going to help you in any way, shape, or form.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Again, didn't he submit his list in July of last year? I am honestly just wondering, I thought I saw it somewhere.

The terms of when a list is submitted would be laid out in his contract. No one really knows for sure the when's/how's of that but the Leafs and Phil/his agent.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Depends, Arizona no, Nashville maybe.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

That's probably true, but he can waive his NTC whenever he feels like it. He can also tell Toronto he'll also accept deals to other teams as well.

But if he wanted out just to get out, the clause would be waived fully. He wants out, but not shipped to another dysfunctional hockey organization/media town, so he gave said list.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is there even a consensus as to what a trade for Kessel would look like? Because right now it just seems like people are getting their hopes up for really no reason.

He has a restrictive no move clause. He's given TML 8 teams. Currently those teams are: NYR, LA, CHI, MTL, BOS, MIN, PIT, PHI.

Of those 8 teams, 4 do not have the cap space to take him: NYR, LA, CHI, BOS. And you have to think that another 2 are non starters: BOS and MTL. That leaves 3 teams on his allowed list - PIT, PHI and MIN. It doesn't exactly give TOR all that much leverage. Now sure they don't "have" to trade him... but this isn't a situation where they're going to be getting a ton of great young futures.

Think 1st, very good prospect, perhaps another young prospect and perhaps a roster player (Kunitz/Sutter).

Edit. Forgot MIN.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I mean yeah I guess. If you were Kessel, would you rather be sent to Arizona, for example, tomorrow or say 'no thanks I'd rather go to Pittsburgh or NYR or Montreal, work out a deal with them'?

The latter is FAR more likely. Of course, maybe Washington, San Jose, Anaheim jump into the equation. Those types of teams I could see Phil waiving for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad