Salary Cap: This Thread will Self-Destruct in 10 Kessel Posts (Part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
So... Kessel

I know the Penguins want to re-sign Comeau, I would think Winnik is there also because GMJR called him "their guy" when we acquired him. I read an article before the deadline saying Rutherford and Johnston loved Winnik so I can see us trying to re-sign him. Plus we paid a 2nd rounder for him, why not make him part of the long term plans?

A Winnik-Sundqvist-Comeau 4th line could be really good, a far cry from Sill-Goc-Adams or Glass-Vitale-Adams :handclap:

With Spaling, Bennett and Dupuis, we can have a good 3rd line as well, I expect Sutter to be traded, if we move Spaling also then we can use the cap space to find a 3rd line center in free agency.

The Penguins can be a competitive team next season if JR does the right thing.

Last edited:

penguins2946*

I'm actually really curious to see how this Kessel situation will turn out, even if he isn't traded here. If his NTC list is accurate and would refuse to waive it, he very easily could not get traded. I know Montreal and NYI are both not interested in Kessel and I think Friedman speculated Florida wouldn't be either.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I don't see a single team in the NHL that will trade for Scuderi unless 50% is retained and/or there is a significant sweetener - 3rd round pick or equivalent prospect and/or the Pens take a cap dump in return.

And the return to the Pens is likely a conditional low round pick or future considerations.

I fully expect Ruther to overpay in whatever trade he makes for his "two top 6 players" to dump Scuderi in the same way he overpaid (2015 2nd) for salary retained on a bottom 6 player.

And even then I can't think of a single team that would take Scuderi.

penguins2946*

I don't see a single team in the NHL that will trade for Scuderi unless 50% is retained and/or there is a significant sweetener - 3rd round pick or equivalent prospect and/or the Pens take a cap dump in return.

And the return to the Pens is likely a conditional low round pick or future considerations.

I fully expect Ruther to overpay in whatever trade he makes for his "two top 6 players" to dump Scuderi in the same way he overpaid (2015 2nd) for salary retained on a bottom 6 player.

And even then I can't think of a single team that would take Scuderi.

God dammit you broke up the chain. Edit Kessel into your post.

New Jersey may want Scuderi, with Shero the GM and their pretty bad PK from last year.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not worried about JR's comments about not using the buyout. Why not try to trade him first? Maybe he already has a trade worked out with a team and they're waiting to pull it off?

Just because he won't be bought out, doesn't mean he'll be on the Penguins next season.

penguins2946*

Kessel easily goes at least 40/40 with the Pens and makes that $8mil salary look like a bargin.

To be honest, I'd say 40/40 would be on the low side for Kessel next year. He scored 37 goals twice while playing with Bozak. I'd be expecting 45-50 goals and 85-90 points from him on the Pens.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I'm not worried about JR's comments about not using the buyout. Why not try to trade him first? Maybe he already has a trade worked out with a team and they're waiting to pull it off?

Just because he won't be bought out, doesn't mean he'll be on the Penguins next season.

I kind of agree with keeping the optimism alive for the buyout. I really don't think even JR is stupid enough to come out and say "We're going to buy out Scuderi... who wants to trade for him" and wreck his trade value.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
So who is moved for Kessel? Maatta? Pouliot +?

Those badly wanting Kessel, who are you trading?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

2016 1st + KK + a roster player + a salary dump

Not moving Pouliot or Maatta. If that's not enough, that's fine, they can get more elsewhere. I want him, and I'd give up good pieces, but I wouldn't gut anything, especially the backend.

penguins2946*

Sutter, Kapanen, Harrington and a 2016 1st or Sutter, Pouliot and a 2016 1st (assuming we make damn sure we can get another 2nd pair D somehow). I'd much rather do the 1st since KK won't have a spot here long term if we bring in Kessel.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So... Kessel

I know the Penguins want to re-sign Comeau, I would think Winnik is there also because GMJR called him "their guy" when we acquired him. I read an article before the deadline saying Rutherford and Johnston loved Winnik so I can see us trying to re-sign him. Plus we paid a 2nd rounder for him, why not make him part of the long term plans?

A Winnik-Sundqvist-Comeau 4th line could be really good, a far cry from Sill-Goc-Adams or Glass-Vitale-Adams :handclap:

With Spaling, Bennett and Dupuis, we can have a good 3rd line as well, I expect Sutter to be traded, if we move Spaling also then we can use the cap space to find a 3rd line center in free agency.

The Penguins can be a competitive team next season if JR does the right thing.
I'd still like to see 1 more kid in there. I think Comeau and Winnik will combine to cost more than we need to spend.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Even if Kessel is the Dupuis of elite wingers (scores what he scores regardless of linemates), an 80pt player with Sid or Geno would be huge. Kessel likes open space. You get a lot of that with those two. Very few wasted offensive zone trips because of offensive incompetence.

Also think he'd normalize the power play (less extreme highs and extreme lows)

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

I might be wrong but with his NTC it could be tough for Toronto to move him. Most of the teams on his list don't have the cap space or assets to acquire him.

Look at the return Kesler got, everyone expected Pouliot, Sutter and a 1st, they got Sbisa, Bonino and a late 1st.

I don't think it will cost a huge, elite package to acquire Kessel. They could keep him but if we're the only team that can acquire him and we offer Sutter, Scuderi, Bennett, Harrington and a 2016 1st, they could take it or keep Kessel.

I'm not saying that will happen, there will probably be more teams looking at Kessel and like I said, Toronto doesn't even need to move him so the Penguins aren't in a position to hold all the cards over the Leafs, but in the package I proposed they get a youngish 3rd line center, a young winger who people in their front office like, a defenseman with potential, local boy IIRC and played for the London Knights, Scuderi as a cap dump, and a 1st next year.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013

That comment is because we are trading him as a cap dump in the Kessel trade ;)

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
2016 1st + KK + a roster player + a salary dump

Not moving Pouliot or Maatta. If that's not enough, that's fine, they can get more elsewhere. I want him, and I'd give up good pieces, but I wouldn't gut anything, especially the backend.

Yeah, exactly this. I'd be excited as hell about getting someone like Kessel but not for the asking prices of Toronto's fans. We can't fill one major whole by creating another giant one.

johnniewalker

Dec 14, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
To be honest, I'd say 40/40 would be on the low side for Kessel next year. He scored 37 goals twice while playing with Bozak. I'd be expecting 45-50 goals and 85-90 points from him on the Pens.

You do recall that Sidney Crosby had 28G, 56A, 84P in 77GP this last season? I don't know how many 90P players we're going to be seeing again anytime soon unless the league backs off of making this the next dead puck era.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Unless we can unload the 11 million worth of cap hell that we are strapped with (CK/RS/PD), the next two years are going to be exactly the same. By that time, Crosby will be 30 going into the following season, Malkin 31. The way it looks, we won't have any draft picks or prospects making a serious impact on the roster at that time either (KK is still very much a question).

Sorry, but neither of those players are able to be traded this off-season. We are stuck with them for at least a half a season, probably longer. We did have one asset that could have helped us leverage a meaningful cap dump or top 6 winger, but the idiots who run the team traded him for Ben Lovejoy.

Kessel is going to take more than KK and a 1st, and I don't see them wanting Sutter either. We just don't have the pieces to bring in a player of that caliber, unless Maatta and Pouliot are on the table.

It is a dark time to be a Penguins fan, the summer isn't going to turn things around either IMO.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

With all the negative talk towards the guy + the fact that he gave a list of teams to be traded to will not make it easy for the Leafs to get much in return. If they really want him gone, they will take a few prospects and picks to get him. If it's us, well they will also have to take on a cap dump like Scuderi

penguins2946*

You do recall that Sidney Crosby had 28G, 56A, 84P in 77GP this last season? I don't know how many 90P players we're going to be seeing again anytime soon unless the league backs off of making this the next dead puck era.

Crosby had a down year with a dysfunctional PP and general offense. It's almost a guarantee he bounces back up to a 90-100 point form at least.

If nothing else, I hope we bring in Kessel just to spite all the posters here who like to act like we're the Oilers 2.0 and our team sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad