This summer with a different April 18

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
McLellan probably would've been coach anyways; it seemed like there was an agreement between MacTavish and him before they won the lottery, and as others have stated, it's rumoured he wanted to stay in the west (I believe he has family in Saskatchewan as well?).

Todd McLellan was the contracted coach of the San Jose Sharks before the draft lottery. There was no "agreement", but there was a match that made all of the sense.

Chiarelli? Nope. MacTavish was caught by surprise by his firing; I seriously doubt this happens if the restructuring was solely due to Nicholson's forensic audit, although his 'another development year' comments might have been what did him in, not the lottery win.

Nicholson claimed he moved on Chiarelli because he was a cant-miss GM.

To me, the question isn't "would MacTavish have been fired" as much as "would Chiarelli have come". Chiarelli only had a few potential landing spots and they're all rebuild cities (Toronto and New Jersey in early stages). He had a pre-existing relationship with Nicholson AND wanted a level of autonomy he wasn't going to get in Toronto.

Kevin Lowe, IMO, was being transitioned into his new role whether the team won the lottery or not, and I'm of the opinion it was also partly his choice. I think Nicholson was brought in last year to be groomed as his successor, and that's the way it ended up.

Nicholson was named CEO before he even set up an interview with Chiarelli, meaning he was never groomed to be Kevin Lowe's successor as President of Hockey Ops.

Kevin Lowe did try to leave the POHO position the year before and he was given the Vice Chair position in OEG a year prior, so I don't doubt it was always the plan for him to leave

My money is on the same stuff happening.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
We don't even need to speculate.

MacTavish said what next year would be like at his end of season presser:

"Our growth is going to be internal growth and incremental growth"
"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"

Dallas Eakins diagnosed 5 more years without playoffs and that 'Craigs on it".

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Next years starting lineup is this:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Stewart
Strome-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer

Klefbom-Hamilton
Nurse-Franson
Ference-Schultz

I don't think MacT could have pulled that off. Chia? Maybe. MacT? No way.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We don't even need to speculate.

MacTavish said what next year would be like at his end of season presser:

"Our growth is going to be internal growth and incremental growth"
"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"

Dallas Eakins diagnosed 5 more years without playoffs and that 'Craigs on it".

Still better than Chia's comments that this team is still in the "middle" of the rebuild.
He also stated that he is not going to be making any big changes because he isnt here to rock the boat.

Honestly not much would have been different.

Chiarelli - Nicholson connection was there from start so he wouldve been an Oiler
McLellan - wouldve been an Oiler since he was being touted from the get go
Hanifin - Yes
Sekera - Yes - Oilers had targetted him from the get go..Ditto with Talbot
Roy - No

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Still better than Chia's comments that this team is still in the "middle" of the rebuild.
He also stated that he is not going to be making any big changes because he isnt here to rock the boat.

Chiarelli - Nicholson connection was there from start so he wouldve been an Oiler
Hanifin - Yes
Roy - No

This is what irks me about Oiler fans and turns me off from the fanbase.

First off Mact's comments were basically to call off the year and say another year of growth.

Chiarelli said we're going to identify the group, see what we have to work with (hence not rock the boat) but we're not going to make rash decisions. If anything he's going to make people accountable, but your saying we have a new coach, scouting staff, new players (young players at that) and you figure he should say we're going to win the cup - get real its a 27th placed team.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007

Hanifin - Yes
Roy - No

Given how Chia has spoken to the media I don't see this as anything to take much out of. He's been tempering expectations since day one. Saying that is just doing it for the fans who thought the whole team should blow up is how I see it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I like Chia too but his relationship with Boston is the only reason Hamilton isn't an Oiler right now.

According to Boston, Hamilton probably wouldn't have been traded if they hadn't been afraid of an offer sheet from Chia.

Chicken and egg.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
According to Boston, Hamilton probably wouldn't have been traded if they hadn't been afraid of an offer sheet from Chia.

Chicken and egg.

Wouldn't the payment for an offer sheet be significantly more than they got from Calgary?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Wouldn't the payment for an offer sheet be significantly more than they got from Calgary?

Depends on the offer. I wouldn't doubt it though.

Poor Boston. They used to be my favorite team before the Oil came along.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This is what irks me about Oiler fans and turns me off from the fanbase.

First off Mact's comments were basically to call off the year and say another year of growth.

Chiarelli said we're going to identify the group, see what we have to work with (hence not rock the boat) but we're not going to make rash decisions. If anything he's going to make people accountable, but your saying we have a new coach, scouting staff, new players (young players at that) and you figure he should say we're going to win the cup - get real its a 27th placed team.

so when MacT calls it developmental, the year is a write off but when Chia says the same its just tempering expectations .. gotcha.. ;)

The Oilers (w/MacT) were in on MaLellan and had identified Talbot and Sekera as prime UFA targets already. I think Nicholson an co wouldve replaced MacT regardless of the lotto.. Nicholson was probably all over Chia as soon as he got fired in BOS.

The Oilers would have signed one more forward (Ward?) and would not have traded picks for Reinhart had we picked Hanifin instead of McDavid.

Could we have been in on ROR? Possibly but very unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad