This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They actually kind of injected youth into their lineup as well. With some strong off season moves they could retool and compete next year.

The Guentzel trade is going to end up a huge win for the Penguins long-term, just because of how good Bunting and Koivunen look and how Guentzel is probably not re-signing in Carolina.

Bunting has meshed terrifically with Malkin and really adds a nice physical element that this team has lacked for a few years. I'm not in the position of "I'm glad they don't have Guentzel anymore", but at this point I'm glad they traded Guentzel for what they moved him for at the deadline.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Eric Karlsson is kind of like Bob Dylan -- he's inscrutable, and everyone has a theory.

Here's my Karlsson theory:
-- On bad teams where he's the undisputed #1 guy, he's great
-- On talented and/or good teams where he's one of a handful of elite players, he isn't particularly good

In other words, Karlsson thrives on being the main man on teams. But this means that he's only super effective on thin, bad teams.

Dumping that contract was a master class by the Sharks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm perplexed for how people could argue that Karlsson is a problem on the Penguins. He has 51 points in 77 games while being a +7 and playing 25 minutes a night with good analytics, what's the issue here?

Is he worth $10 million to them? Probably not, but his performance this year seems firmly worth $8 million or so. He's good but just a bit overpaid.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I'm perplexed for how people could argue that Karlsson is a problem on the Penguins. He has 51 points in 77 games while being a +7 and playing 25 minutes a night with good analytics, what's the issue here?

Is he worth $10 million to them? Probably not, but his performance this year seems firmly worth $8 million or so. He's good but just a bit overpaid.
It could be a win win trade. Pens get value now, sharks avoid having value that diminishes over time and isn't helping them win since they don't want to win.

The contract still has a chance to look awful in 1-2 years but the pens are in win now mode.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It could be a win win trade. Pens get value now, sharks avoid having value that diminishes over time and isn't helping them win since they don't want to win.

The contract still has a chance to look awful in 1-2 years but the pens are in win now mode.

Yeah it's a win-win trade for both sides, although I think the Sharks should have retained more to get more futures. Granlund being useful probably negates that out somewhat, they should be able to get something decent for him next year.

The deal is fine for both sides if the Penguins 1st comes in at like 15th overall. Penguins got rid of some expensive players that didn't fit and got a great but overpaid defenseman, while the Sharks got some short term expensive players and a mid 1st while not having to retain that much.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

How is he overpaid if someone like Nylander gets 11?

Reactions: Factorial

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Out of the Metro teams (and Red Wings) fighting for a spot, I think the Pens are the most likely to make noise. They're getting hot at the right time, have a decent team, and of course have as good of leadership as any.

I wouldn't put down a bet on any of them or anything, but I like their chances against the Canes/Rangers a lot better than the Flyers/Islanders/Caps.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They actually kind of injected youth into their lineup as well. With some strong off season moves they could retool and compete next year.
They got lucky with injuries at the right time forcing them to play guys like St. Ivany who has been extremely good.

Reactions: sanscosm

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This season I'd go with:

MacK/McD
Draisaitl
Matthews
Point
Hughes
Good calls. This season I would take Sid over Draisaitl. Both he and Sid scored 40th yesterday.
I still take Sid over Hughes. Kid will have his day but not yet. Flashy but not ahead of Sid on my list.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We lose to Leafs in OT.

Sullivan has to be the dumbest person in the history of the world. You had 1 job...get the best players on the ice, instead you start OT with DOC and...Eller? in one of the biggest games of the season. Holy f*** I feel disgusted being a human right now knowing that Pejorative Slur is in charge of coaching an NHL team.

Reactions: dalewood12

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
We lose to Leafs in OT.

Sullivan has to be the dumbest person in the history of the world. You had 1 job...get the best players on the ice, instead you start OT with DOC and...Eller? in one of the biggest games of the season. Holy f*** I feel disgusted being a human right now knowing that Pejorative Slur is in charge of coaching an NHL team.
While the optics are awful and not defending Sullivan, but the biggest game of the season for the Penguins will be Thursday against the Red Wings.

Simply need to beat them in regulation for the 4 point swing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad