Speculation: This is now the trade thread.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I suppose this is the year we figure out of GMGM can make a playoff team, or if it’s just a Washington playoffs issue.

Until we lose in the playoffs, it makes no sense to bring the past up. Especially since the Caps are probably just cursed.

They are cursed. For Dale Hunter's cheapshot on Turgeon.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Interesting. Using that cap space

Word is Ottawa willing to retain 25% or more of Ryan's salary. Still too long a deal but if he comes for 5m a year it becomes a little less of a problem. Plus maybe he's sucking because the Sens are a mess. Unfortunately if they did take him it probably means Neal is gone and question if Perron stays so that would be the unpopular part of a deal.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
As a 1A/1B Vegas and Sens fan (if you haven’t read that from me before haha) stay AWAY from Bobby Ryan.

That contract is top 3 worst in the league. Just because you have cap space now doesn’t mean you have to use it. Who knows who will go to UFA in the next 4 years of his contract and you might need that 7 mil? I haven’t paid attention to Vegas’s contract situation, though I know they have somewhere around 33 million in space next year.

What if Karlsson, Doughty, Tavares, any other superstar wants to come here and the budget was used on Ryan instead? I would jump off a cliff.

His hands are literally broken, and he has lost all confidence in his game. When he got to Ottawa, his ego got a little inflated (imo) and instead of just being a big bodied trigger man, he thought he had to be a playmaker and a star.

He has scored 30 multiple times, but now he just tries stupid passes and is slow as molasses.

On another note, if Ottawa would cut Karlsson’s price by the equivelant of what Columbus gave to Vegas for Clarkson for Ryan, I would listen.

How’s this as a starting offer:

Vegas
Karlsson

Ottawa
One of Glass / Suzuki / Brannstrom
Theodore
1st rounder
2nd rounder

Ottawa just can’t move Karlsson without the possibility of getting a top line d or center back This deal would address both of those possibilities, and with all Vegas has for picks, it wouldn’t be catastrophic.

Only one of the top 3 prospects are gone (top 4 imo...Hague)

It’s also been rumored Karlsson is open to Vegas. That might also mean he’s open to talking contract this summer.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
As a 1A/1B Vegas and Sens fan (if you haven’t read that from me before haha) stay AWAY from Bobby Ryan.

That contract is top 3 worst in the league. Just because you have cap space now doesn’t mean you have to use it. Who knows who will go to UFA in the next 4 years of his contract and you might need that 7 mil? I haven’t paid attention to Vegas’s contract situation, though I know they have somewhere around 33 million in space next year.

What if Karlsson, Doughty, Tavares, any other superstar wants to come here and the budget was used on Ryan instead? I would jump off a cliff.

His hands are literally broken, and he has lost all confidence in his game. When he got to Ottawa, his ego got a little inflated (imo) and instead of just being a big bodied trigger man, he thought he had to be a playmaker and a star.

He has scored 30 multiple times, but now he just tries stupid passes and is slow as molasses.

On another note, if Ottawa would cut Karlsson’s price by the equivelant of what Columbus gave to Vegas for Clarkson for Ryan, I would listen.

Vegas
Karlsson

Ottawa
Theodore
1st rounder
2nd rounder

Ottawa just can’t move Karlsson without the possibility of getting a top line d or center back This deal would address both of those possibilities, and with all Vegas has for picks, it wouldn’t be catastrophic.

It’s also been rumored Karlsson is open to Vegas. That might also mean he’s open to talking contract this summer.

For me the cost is far too high for me to be comfortable making the trade especially when you take into account the bolded. We give up far too much of our future for a player that as you said is as slow as molasses and I have great concern about his injuries.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Don't be surprised if we pick up a few minor leaguers for futures. Sellers like Arizona are almost at the contract limit.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

Vegas
Karlsson

Ottawa
Theodore
1st rounder
2nd rounder

I'd consider the deal if Karlsson looked like Karlsson. Right now he looks like a broken player. His foot is obviously bothering him and he doesn't even look like half the player he was. He looked better injured in last years playoffs than he does right now after that complicated foot surgery. It's too much of a risk trading for a player that could take over being the worst contract in the league when he signs his next deal. I've watched at least a dozen Sens games as I liked Duchene at colorado and I can honestly say that Karlsson looks terrible and never saw one game where he looked like half of his old self. If he played good to great in the past 20 games, sure I'd be interested in him. He is just too much of a risk to take a chance on. Trading for him could set Vegas back 2 or 3 years with your proposal.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Best part of all these deals is they are going to the East. I'll worry about how can we beat an Eastern team in June :D

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Looks like there’s a very real chance Karlsson is a Knight sometime this summer...if you are to believe what you hear.

A package might include one of the big three prospects, Theodore, and picks.

For a re-signed Karlsson, I’d do it. I’d try to hold onto Glass though over Suzuki and Brannstrom.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Still don't like mortgaging our future for the guy. I think if Brannstrom pans out to even 2/3 of his potential, we're better served in the aggregate contribution we'd get out of he and Theodore.

Reactions: hangman005

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Looks like there’s a very real chance Karlsson is a Knight sometime this summer...if you are to believe what you hear.

A package might include one of the big three prospects, Theodore, and picks.

For a re-signed Karlsson, I’d do it. I’d try to hold onto Glass though over Suzuki and Brannstrom.

I'd do Theo and Suzuki + picks. Reluctantly would do Brannstrom + Suzuki and picks. Glass would be a non starter.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Plus a close to max contract on the guy...we better hope he rehabs the shit out of that foot and works well under Gallant.

I mean don't get me wrong, Karlsson is a generation defining superstar at his position but he isn't what he used to be. On concept alone it would be cool to have him but this isn't NHL18 where I can just edit rosters so Karlsson is a Golden Knight. We have to think about the future and how much future worth are we getting from a guy in the middle of his prime?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'd do Theo and Suzuki + picks. Reluctantly would do Brannstrom + Suzuki and picks. Glass would be a non starter.

I think that's an easy deal for GMGM to say yes to. Especially if he lets Sbisa walk and frees up about half the money to sign him long term. Plus if EK truly has some unaddressed health issues they can clear over the summer. Would love to have him now, but if the price is not taking on that Ryan contract then it's worth the wait. Plus Ottawa's timeframe is such now they would reach for picks this draft, VGK doesn't have to. Just have to make a lot of picks to fill the system, but a late first isn't necessarily going to make or break the organization. If it's Shea, Suzuki and the first this year, maybe get back a later round pick or two, it's hard to turn that down.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
In any event, if the deal hinges on including Ryan then that's what makes us the frontrunner.

Ryan
Karlsson
conditional pick

for

prospect
prospect
conditional 1st/3rd
Lindberg

I think it would be stupid of them to force a team to take Ryan, not to mention not waiting until the draft lottery.

edit: nm about retention they could fit Ryan and Karlsson this year with 4m to spare.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Plus a close to max contract on the guy...we better hope he rehabs the **** out of that foot and works well under Gallant.

I mean don't get me wrong, Karlsson is a generation defining superstar at his position but he isn't what he used to be. On concept alone it would be cool to have him but this isn't NHL18 where I can just edit rosters so Karlsson is a Golden Knight. We have to think about the future and how much future worth are we getting from a guy in the middle of his prime?

Karlsson is an extremely hard working and dedicated player. I have no doubt that he will be a norris contender next year. I mean even right now when he is visibly struggling he is scoring at a pace that would make most star d blush. When he comes back next year after a full summer of rehab and conditioning (not to mention away from the fire dump that is his former organisation) he will be his usual dominant generational two way self.

someone show this clip to GMGM and the deal probably gets made in the hour :p

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

While the Senators have held serious talks with several teams that continued into Sunday night, the Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knight. San Jose Sharks and Nashville Predators were all believed to be involved in the talks.

It’s believed the Lightning are among the teams that have stepped up their efforts to try to get Karlsson but they might not be the only one in that group.

The talk amongst league executives is Tampa GM Steve Yzerman wants to add Karlsson badly but he’s having a difficult time trying to get a third team involved to take on winger Bobby Ryan’s contract. The Senators would like to get his $7.5 million cap hit off their books as part of this trade.

The Lightning also don’t want to take any players off their roster to make this addition and that likely won’t sit well with the Senators.

A league executive insisted to Postmedia the Knights were making a serious pitch for Karlsson. The Knights have the cap space to take on Karlsson and Ryan’s contract.
League sources say the Senators want a massive package in exchange for Karlsson that could include legitimate NHL players, high-end prospects and two first-round picks. If Dorion is going to do this deal the belief in league circles is he’d like to get five to six pieces in return.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I can imagine the Sens demanding Schmidt, Marchssault and/or W Karlsson as part of deal, as well as Glass or Suzuki, 1st pick.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Karlsson is an extremely hard working and dedicated player. I have no doubt that he will be a norris contender next year. I mean even right now when he is visibly struggling he is scoring at a pace that would make most star d blush. When he comes back next year after a full summer of rehab and conditioning (not to mention away from the fire dump that is his former organisation) he will be his usual dominant generational two way self.

someone show this clip to GMGM and the deal probably gets made in the hour :p

This team is already somewhat screwing itself not getting a string of lottery picks to build a young foundation of players. I dread a nightmare scenario where this deal goes through and the Gallant effect stops being so profound and we start just middling with the burn of having shipped off two first rounders and two of our top prospects along with Theodore. It wastes Karlsson's quest for supremacy and holds the team's build up.

Don't get me wrong. I would love Karlsson on the team if things were simpler. But they're not. It's gonna cost assets that are critical to the future of this team and a lot of money. And I'm given pause in thinking would we not be better off with Theodore and Brannstrom plus whoever we draft in the next two drafts and I think the answer is yes. Like at their best I never would have dreamed of trading Getzlaf and Perry for Crosby alone. Now that Perry is a shade of his former self I'd easily make that trade. Crosby alone wasn't enough to win cups. Crosby and Malkin "alone" was enough for one. But they needed Kessel for two more. Karlsson alone won't put us over the top. Depth of talent might. We trade "5 pieces" and it makes trying to find that much much harder. Karlsson is a generational talent. A superstar. A legend of his era. Do I want a player like that on Vegas? Of course. But at this cost I'm not sure. If it happens I'll be really excited and welcome him with open arms. But I'll be apprehensive about the ramifications. If we had a better prospect pipeline, I'd be singing a different song.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad