OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The wife and I are going through a scary time. Apparently our unborn baby may have Spina Bifida, which would require aborting. The odds as of today are only 1/89 that he has it, but two weeks ago the odds were only 1/252, so the rapid increase has my wife and I worried. She called me crying in the bathroom. Needless to say, it's very hard to focus on work today.

Sorry to hear you guys have to go through this sort of trauma. I know we are all pulling for you three to have the best possible results. Best wishes and good luck from all of us.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
So the season of Spring has resurrected itself. It seemed like it was a thing of the past, winter would end in late March and then it got warm, very little transition from winter to summer weather. But not this year, this is how I remember springs.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I use Google Fi as my wireless plan since it's the cheapest thing I could find for 1 line since everything else is $XX per month for 5 lines or whatever and crazy amounts for any fewer lines... and they had a deal yesterday for a ton of money off of a Pixel 3.

I was kinda sorta in the market for a new phone since my LG Nexus 5X apparently was at its end of life in terms of Android updates, security updates and support. And I figured if I sat on it I'd probably end up spending $200-300 on some average, bordering obsolete smartphone in another year or so anyways just trying to stay afloat. So spending a little more now for this $800 monster while it's on a deep discount seemed like a no brainer.

Of course, even on sale it's a ton of money for a phone. So I'm kinda second guessing it. Especially since I'm going to be dropping $3000 on a new air conditioner for the house next week. :help: But what the hell. I'm single, I don't have kids, I don't have pets. The beauty of disposable income. ;) I'm looking forward to my fun new toy lol.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I believe there is a company in Colorado that does Hilux drivetrain swaps in to Tacomas and 4Runners, or you can import a 25 yr/old Hilux

Whenever I see any conversation about the Hilux, I am remunder of classic Top Gear. They really are a resilient vehicle.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Man, I hope this is close for my Model 3.

As awesome as that is, it would take some serious getting used to. I feel like I'd be grabbing the steering wheel every time it makes an adjustment I don't like. :laugh:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
As awesome as that is, it would take some serious getting used to. I feel like I'd be grabbing the steering wheel every time it makes an adjustment I don't like. :laugh:
Having operated self driving test vehicles on public roads its not bad, you get used to it real quick.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Just booked a trip to the big island of Hawaii. Going to swim with manta rays, helicopter ride, whale watch, rainforest hike, and explore!!! Leave next week Saturday. Got an incredible last minute deal.
Please check the fine print and make sure you're trip isn't booked through Elite Hunting of the Hostel movie franchise fame.

Reactions: Franson

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I use Google Fi as my wireless plan since it's the cheapest thing I could find for 1 line since everything else is $XX per month for 5 lines or whatever and crazy amounts for any fewer lines... and they had a deal yesterday for a ton of money off of a Pixel 3.

I was kinda sorta in the market for a new phone since my LG Nexus 5X apparently was at its end of life in terms of Android updates, security updates and support. And I figured if I sat on it I'd probably end up spending $200-300 on some average, bordering obsolete smartphone in another year or so anyways just trying to stay afloat. So spending a little more now for this $800 monster while it's on a deep discount seemed like a no brainer.

Of course, even on sale it's a ton of money for a phone. So I'm kinda second guessing it. Especially since I'm going to be dropping $3000 on a new air conditioner for the house next week. :help: But what the hell. I'm single, I don't have kids, I don't have pets. The beauty of disposable income. ;) I'm looking forward to my fun new toy lol.

Pixel 3 is amazing

Reactions: Dreakon13

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Just booked a trip to the big island of Hawaii. Going to swim with manta rays, helicopter ride, whale watch, rainforest hike, and explore!!! Leave next week Saturday. Got an incredible last minute deal.

Hawaii is awesome! The Jurrasoc Park and Lost sites are so cool

We do the Caribbean once every 4 months. in Punta Cana now. Would prefer Hawaii of they had all inclusive options.

Reactions: EichHart

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Hawaii is awesome! The Jurrasoc Park and Lost sites are so cool

We do the Caribbean once every 4 months. in Punta Cana now. Would prefer Hawaii of they had all inclusive options.

It was between Peru and Hawaii. Going to do Peru later this year I think. I can’t do all inclusives anymore, too touristy. We’ve done Mexico twice, Bahamas, Dominican , Jamaica, Iceland, Costa Rica. We like to explore and hike at every destination we go to. I bring my hammock/tent and camp all over the us and Canada. Thailand, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, Alaska are next on my list after Peru.

Last edited:

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
It was between Peru and Hawaii. Going to do Peru later this year I think. I can’t do all inclusives anymore, too touristy. We’ve done Mexico twice, Bahamas, Dominican , Jamaica, Iceland, Costa Rica. We like to explore and hike at every destination we go to. I bring my hammock/tent and camp all over the us and Canada. Thailand, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, Alaska are next on my list after Peru.

I've been big on Dominican Republic and Jamaica solely for the VIP customs service where you can pay to skip the lines.

We're at a place called TRS Capa Cana right now. All of maybe 20 people here. Resort openned a couple months ago. Best service at an all-inclusive ever. (Well the butler service kinda sucks but bar service is great)

Alaska is amazing. Did 2 nights in Anchorage and 2 nights in Fairbanks last year.

Reactions: EichHart

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sitting in the library, trying to pull one last string of miracles together. This is a list, this is only a list....

I have a paper due tomorrow that is the only grade in one class - it's on concepts my brain slides around. My capstone project report is due on Friday and I have the largest chunk of writing -- and it's mostly technical details too -- left out of the group... after writing about 2/3rds of what we already have, as well as having created the maps and graphics and generally hauling a bunch of people to the finish line on my back after pulling the project presentation out of my ass and blowing away the business we are doing this for last week. I have a project that was supposed to be a running journal of the group project in another class that is a scattered but copious pile of online communications, photos and notes... plus an online final for that class and I think a written self-evaluation/report and I think I have an overdue online quiz that I still have an extension on. I have a group paper rough due next Friday that will be published as an extension paper if it is good enough, but my group has decided that it will be turned in Tuesday to allow for revisions for the Friday deadline. The prof wants an outline of what we're doing and wants me to be pulling my weight on it as much as I want to pull my weight on it, even though the kid writing most of it is a f***ing academic superstar in this area and will do this whole thing with or without me on his own timeline.

I have to track down my academic adviser to get his approval to take the two classes I'm taking this summer, get registered so I can take out some money in stupid, err student loans in the next two days. I need to hit the student health services office because just like last spring, they overcharged me for health insurance and it's about a month's rent potential refund. My cap and gown are rented but not picked up. I have an academic honors fraternity dinner on Friday night that I am supposed to build a plaque for...

I have resume revisions to do, a stack of jobs to apply for and bills to pay including rent which I can make due only to the good graces of family on Saturday.

And did I mention my ex's shenanigans while all of this is going on? No...? She's a gem. Really. :facepalm:

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
lol Air bnbs and hostels are the way to go when traveling internationally. Literally 25% of the price.
Until the host cancels two weeks before you arrive, during a holiday with zero other options, and you vow never to use that company again.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I'm within thirty days of my return home to Texas - I haven't been back since my grandfather passed in December 2013, and my wife's never been. We're flying into Austin (it's been 13 years since I've flown, and she's never flown) & literally doing a Big McLarge Huge Ginormus Absolute Unit triangle that includes Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio.

I'm really, really excited to be going away - our first real 'vacation' since our honeymoon in New England.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm within thirty days of my return home to Texas - I haven't been back since my grandfather passed in December 2013, and my wife's never been. We're flying into Austin (it's been 13 years since I've flown, and she's never flown) & literally doing a Big McLarge Huge Ginormus Absolute Unit triangle that includes Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio.

I'm really, really excited to be going away - our first real 'vacation' since our honeymoon in New England.

Have fun. Can you bring me something from Franklin Barbecue? :D

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Okay, calling it a night after getting up at 5:00 a.m.. This paper is sort of coming together, but it isn't "read paper, draw conclusions" it is far more "read paper, cite bit that supports argument... cite source in paper that also supports argument.... and cite paper in the citation that supports the argument". I was told the bar would be low. I will resume at 5:00 a.m. again. I do some great writing at that hour.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

If you are a science guy and you get the chance, visit the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory at the top of Kilauea. And Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park.

You won't regret it. I'm ex-USGS by the way but have absolutely no pull there and they've never heard of me.

Reactions: Chainshot

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Every time I go to Austin, its harder to leave. It's the perfect mix of suburbs and city, though, they have some traffic issues due to their basically unhinged growth the last decade.

Lots of great jobs, especially in tech, great food/bars/cultural stuff, reasonably affordable housing, etc.

If they didn't have shitty for profit hospitals, my wife and I would probably be moving there this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad