OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Or find a place that lets you work from home. :laugh:

I did that and got approval before home became Costa Rica. And then they said I couldn't work there two years later....with all the approval emails signed off by my management.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kind of a random question... but Bills related, so I dunno if it belongs here or the Bills thread. :laugh:

My dad is having back surgery soon. I was going to lend him my Bluray player and some stuff to watch so he can keep his mind occupied during the recovery, but my mom said he wouldn't really use that and said he would rather have some stuff to read. In particular something Bills/football (maybe Sabres/hockey) related. Surprising, he isn't much of a reader but he loves the newspaper so I guess I could see it.

Would anyone have any recommendations of Bills-related books? Maybe something cool about the history of the team? Maybe even something Sabres or WNY sports in general? Preferably something a casual reader could get into (ie. not some 1000-page, tiny font encyclopedia... not that I'm aware of anything like that existing for the Bills lol).

Does it have to be current?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NNUX5M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N01ML08/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I think my father has both. This is a man who has VHS tapes of games from '88 on in the Kelly era. :biglaugh: Not saying sports dysfunction is a "thing" in my family. Nope. Hang on, my son is texting me about lacrosse drafts. Gotta go!

Reactions: Dreakon13

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Or find a place that lets you work from home. :laugh:

I love being in the field I’m in. I work 9 hour days, usually 5 office, 3 onsite and 1 driving. Leave at 730 home by 5. Can’t beat it. I couldn’t work from home all day, not a chance.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Nearly half of my friends and those from the local gym I go to are becoming corrections officers. Full retirement at 25 years, best health insurance in the state for life, 50-60k starting with unlimited overtime and upward from there up to over 6 figures and they only work 100 days a year. It seems state/county jobs are so much better then the private sector. I'm seriously thinking of making the jump. Has anyone ever worked as one before and why state/county/federal jobs are so much better then private sector employment. Not to mention the stability that comes from those positions, I've seen so many people fired at my place of employment recently its insane.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Endgame was amazing

All I’ll say for now is when they showed the flowers floating for Tony, I’m not going to lie, I teared up.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Nearly half of my friends and those from the local gym I go to are becoming corrections officers. Full retirement at 25 years, best health insurance in the state for life, 50-60k starting with unlimited overtime and upward from there up to over 6 figures and they only work 100 days a year. It seems state/county jobs are so much better then the private sector. I'm seriously thinking of making the jump. Has anyone ever worked as one before and why state/county/federal jobs are so much better then private sector employment. Not to mention the stability that comes from those positions, I've seen so many people fired at my place of employment recently its insane.

Unions, plus people don't get fired they just get moved to another position, plus its easy to promise all the benefits like the pension and healthcare when you don't ever have to worry about the profit motive and you can kick off the debt from it to the next generation.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm not sure what I'm going to do about Endgame. I feel like there's no way I'm going to see it this weekend, what an unpleasant experience that'd be since the theaters will probably be packed (if not sold out).

I have Thursday off next week, more or less to be here at the house while the new air conditioner gets installed in the morning which probably wouldn't take more than a few hours... I could sneak a viewing in then maybe. Just have to go on relative social media silence until then. :laugh:

Does it have to be current?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NNUX5M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N01ML08/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I think my father has both. This is a man who has VHS tapes of games from '88 on in the Kelly era. :biglaugh: Not saying sports dysfunction is a "thing" in my family. Nope. Hang on, my son is texting me about lacrosse drafts. Gotta go!
Thanks for the suggestions! I'd say it doesn't have to be current, anything will do. I was actually looking at that first book myself. :thumbu:

Reactions: Chainshot

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Unions, plus people don't get fired they just get moved to another position, plus its easy to promise all the benefits like the pension and healthcare when you don't ever have to worry about the profit motive and you can kick off the debt from it to the next generation.

So many people push college but you can graduate high school go work in the state/county/federal govt have no student loan debt, loads of vacation/sick time and retire in 25 years with full benefit coverage and work so many less hours per year then those in the private sector killing themselves to impress their bosses and company.

How do you even compete with their retirement system. 50% of your highest salary last 3 years at 25 years and then 1.5% for each year thereafter. I would need to save so much in my 401k each year to even come close to that.

Last edited:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
End game was fantastic. I decided to go see it last night and realized that it was completely sold out at every regal in Buffalo. I went to the palace in the village of hamburg and paid $6 to see it. Incredible ending to a great decade of movies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
End game was fantastic. I decided to go see it last night and realized that it was completely sold out at every regal in Buffalo. I went to the palace in the village of hamburg and paid $6 to see it. Incredible ending to a great decade of movies.

I used to ride my bike to that theater when I was a kid.

Reactions: EichHart

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I am bummed that I missed Nate's game last night to help with hockey evals.

He has been the backup goalie that has seen some game action after the outcome of the game isn't in doubt.

I wonder if he got more playing time than that yesterday given that he made 7 saves. He has been getting frustrated when he hasn't played and he felt like he may have been able to make a difference for the team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I am bummed that I missed Nate's game last night to help with hockey evals.

He has been the backup goalie that has seen some game action after the outcome of the game isn't in doubt.

I wonder if he got more playing time than that yesterday given that he made 7 saves. He has been getting frustrated when he hasn't played and he felt like he may have been able to make a difference for the team.

B had been in a similar boat - he wants to contribute but knows that in tight games he is likely to be stapled to the bench. As a proud dad moment though, hearing about a couple of the games that he played the majority of because they were playing a significantly worse opponent from parents of other players because the players were talking about what a great game he had was very heartwarming. Two different parents came up at the final JV game and had very similar comments which tells me that he is well liked by his teammates and they see his efforts to make a difference.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
B had been in a similar boat - he wants to contribute but knows that in tight games he is likely to be stapled to the bench. As a proud dad moment though, hearing about a couple of the games that he played the majority of because they were playing a significantly worse opponent from parents of other players because the players were talking about what a great game he had was very heartwarming. Two different parents came up at the final JV game and had very similar comments which tells me that he is well liked by his teammates and they see his efforts to make a difference.

Nate's team got blown out recently and the parents were calling for Nate to replace the starter way sooner than he went in because the starter appeared to have given up.

They asked me why he wasn't in yet and all I could do was shrug and say that I wasn't the coach....

In that spot, it is way better to be the dad of the backup goalie.

:lol:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nate's team got blown out recently and the parents were calling for Nate to replace the starter way sooner than he went in because the starter appeared to have given up.

They asked me why he wasn't in yet and all I could do was shrug and say that I wasn't the coach....

In that spot, it is way better to be the dad of the backup goalie.

:lol:

Yeah that would definitely be better to be the back up dad than the starter dad. B has embraced this so much that he’s going to summer lacrosse camp that is run by the varsity coach at his school. Luckily, his grandparents and his aunt were all game to spring for registration fees, since I wasn’t able to float it right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah that would definitely be better to be the back up dead than the starter dad. B has embraced this so much that he’s going to summer lacrosse camp that is run by the varsity coach at his school. Luckily, his grandparents and his aunt were all game to spring for registration fees, since I wasn’t able to float it right now.

That is awesome.

Nate will be switching immediately to football pre-season after lacrosse wraps up.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I did that and got approval before home became Costa Rica. And then they said I couldn't work there two years later....with all the approval emails signed off by my management.

Yeah, I'm slightly worried about that myself. I signed an agreement saying I could work from anywhere on the east coast of the US as long as it's within a short distance to a major airport. It's still in the back of my head that in a year or two they could basically just say nevermind or something.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I'm not sure what I'm going to do about Endgame. I feel like there's no way I'm going to see it this weekend, what an unpleasant experience that'd be since the theaters will probably be packed (if not sold out).

I have Thursday off next week, more or less to be here at the house while the new air conditioner gets installed in the morning which probably wouldn't take more than a few hours... I could sneak a viewing in then maybe. Just have to go on relative social media silence until then. :laugh:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'd say it doesn't have to be current, anything will do. I was actually looking at that first book myself. :thumbu:
Do you not have assigned seats in cushy heated recliners at your theaters?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Do you not have assigned seats in cushy heated recliners at your theaters?
I can/do have theaters like that (well maybe not heated seats? :confused:) ... but call me awkward/self conscious in the sense that even those are still more close quarters with strangers than I typically like to be.

Especially since if I went to see Endgame in theater, that I'd probably be on my own (and thus even moreso awkwardly lodged between two of them) since no one I know gives a fudge about these Marvel movies.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
So many people push college but you can graduate high school go work in the state/county/federal govt have no student loan debt, loads of vacation/sick time and retire in 25 years with full benefit coverage and work so many less hours per year then those in the private sector killing themselves to impress their bosses and company.

How do you even compete with their retirement system. 50% of your highest salary last 3 years at 25 years and then 1.5% for each year thereafter. I would need to save so much in my 401k each year to even come close to that.
The problem is especially at the state and lower level, the retirement benefits arent funded up front, which as we have seen can cause major budget issues or even citys declare bankruptcy, or to fund them they will have to raise taxes on your children or grandchildren.

Reactions: EichHart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad