This could be the year.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The Canes having the #1 PK isn't a surprise, as they were there much of last year as well, but did anyone think that 1/3rd of the way through the season, the Canes would have the 6th ranked PP and that's with Faulk only have 1 PP goal?

only if skinner would start playing like he really wanted the c

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
a couple of goals against the last few games that have been within seconds of the penalty expiring...

...that i dont care about bc it makes the pk stats look great

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
The Canes having the #1 PK isn't a surprise, as they were there much of last year as well, but did anyone think that 1/3rd of the way through the season, the Canes would have the 6th ranked PP and that's with Faulk only have 1 PP goal?

It helps having guys like TT and Aho (and even Rask, to an extent) be able to carry the puck into the zone and establish possession. I figured they'd boost us to the top half of the league, but not #6. I hate how good this team is and the results they have to show for it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It helps having guys like TT and Aho (and even Rask, to an extent) be able to carry the puck into the zone and establish possession. I figured they'd boost us to the top half of the league, but not #6. I hate how good this team is and the results they have to show for it.

I would tend to agree, but it's really not just TT and Aho getting it into the zone though that's making it effective because from what I can tell, they aren't on the ice when most of the goals are being scored.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Well... uhh... they create zone entries, which lead to OZ FOs, which then result in goals. They truly are the unsung heroes of the PP. Leave me and my anecdotes in peace.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Fun fact, the Canes PPG/60 is highest when Derek Ryan is on the ice. Makes one wonder if he should have been given a shot last year, and what difference that might have made.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Fun fact, the Canes PPG/60 is highest when Derek Ryan is on the ice. Makes one wonder if he should have been given a shot last year, and what difference that might have made.

His call up last year I thought he was an NHL player. I was big proponent of thinking he should of been on the team out of training camp. He was tearing up the AHL and I mentioned multiple times I wanted to see him called up ASAP. He finally got called up and for the first 3 games or so I was like maybe I was wrong. But he's definitely turned it around since then, and is proving why he should of probably been in NHL player starting 3-4 seasons ago. The guy can play.

Side note: I don't think his PPG/60 will stand that high at the end of the season as his sample size is still relatively small, but he definitely seems to have secured a spot on this team, and I believe he will be a great contributor for us down the stretch.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
John and Tripp like to talk about wanting the total of your PK% and PP% to be at least 100% because it means your special teams aren't hurting you.

Ours is 114.7%, which stands head and shoulders above everyone else. The next best is St. Louis, at 109.8%. Chicago is surprisingly dead last, at 89.2%.

I just wish we were outclassing everybody else in the standings. I guess that's an indictment of our 5-on-5 play. :help:

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I had no idea but if Carolina finished the season where they are on the penalty kill they would be the highest rated kill in NHL history.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
THREAD WATCH

The Hurricanes are 4-0-1 since this thread was created, the day after their last regulation loss.

It's Chuck's Xmas gift to us. Merry Christmas, sunshine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad