Salary Cap: This ain't a thread, it's a --- ---- cesspool (Part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It really is, stick em out in the last 45 seconds or so, back teams up a bit than take em off and drop your 3 fastest players out there....granted we are slow as ****...

Yeah, I'm fine with them only doing it some of the time. Let them be our 5th and 6th guys basically. Let them get 2 or 3 PK shifts a game each.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
RICK: There’s page 41!

KRAMER: Hey!

RICK: We did! We pulled it off! I can’t believe it! Where’s the post counter?

KRAMER: Oh, it broke off, baby!

hqdefault.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Scuderi is from Long Island. Islanders are shopping Grabner and his pricey cap hit. Perhaps there could be a fit somehow... GMJR has said that he's looking to get younger and add some speed. Grabner is a Pens killer. He can replace the speed element missing on Sid's line since Dupuis' absence.

Obviously a sweetener would be required but there's potential desperation on their part to consider Scuds. Isles would be saving cap space in the process as well...

Scuds for Grabner and Sutter for Vrbata are those kind of deals that I would only make on Oct 4th and no significant roster moves have made us better. Not so much because of value, but because Grabner has his own set of warts and I think Sutter can be packaged for a better return than Vrbata (though I wouldn't cry if his happened after major trades and signings had resulted in nothing for us).

If Devan Dubnyk continues to play hard ball with Minny, rumors are that Fletcher will have to free up cap space. Cooke buyout is not enough. I just hope they'd consider a Sutter & Bennett for Coyle deal. He's versatile, big and talented. Not playing to expectations either. Signed longterm too. Wouldn't be surprised if they're second guessing signing him to a longterm 5m/yr deal.

Bennett and Zucker have lots of experience playing together in Denver. There's a connection there and Fletcher knows Bennett well.

I have always loved Coyle. I think he's miscasted as their 3C. I would love to see him on Geno's LW. I think he could flourish given the chance. Always liked watching him. Begs the question that if Minny is looking to shed salary, why would they trade Coyle (3.x) for Sutter + Bennett (at least 4.3). Sundqvist+Bennett for Coyle+3rd/4th sounds more realistic...but I believe the org is too high on Sundqvist.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Via Rotoworld, via New York Post:

The New York Post’s Larry Brooks expects the Penguins to try to trade for Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp this offseason.
Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford wants to add a top-six, goal-scoring winger to pair with either Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin. The Blackhawks will likely have to move a few key pieces in order to free up cap space this offseason, and Sharp, who has two years left on a contract with a $5.9 million cap hit, could be one shipped out of town. It remains to be seen whether the Penguins have what it takes to pull off a move like this, especially because they have several important pieces potentially leaving as well.

Not exactly uber credible or with any conviction... but hey, we're in a dead zone. Any news is news.

And to keep the theme of my recent posts...

BgdYVQdCQAAYJuy.jpg

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I know I am in the minority, but depending on the cost, I would love to see us get Sharp. An injury issue, the locker room talk, and coming back on the thirdly line hurt his point totals, and it was an off year, but he still has the skill and ability and skating. I think he would do well here.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I know I am in the minority, but depending on the cost, I would love to see us get Sharp. An injury issue, the locker room talk, and coming back on the thirdly line hurt his point totals, and it was an off year, but he still has the skill and ability and skating. I think he would do well here.

What are you willing to give up? I think giving up a 1st for a player on the decline is asinine for this team.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like Sharp...but I like Kessel more...

I'm not 100% on the Kessel train, but I would take Kessel 8 days a week over Sharp. Younger, more skilled, and only 2.1 more...for longer.

I just don't know what assets are involved. If Chicago would take a collection of WBS guys and Bennett or something...sure. If they want Sutter, Kappy, DP...no way. I think the rumor last Feb/Mar was Kunitz, Bennett, Dumo for Sharp and a pick, right?

I wouldn't do that. Well...maybe Kunitz+Bennett+2016 3rd for Sharp+2nd 2015. Then perhaps 2 2nds for a 1st? Or use one or both in a bigger trade...Sutter+2 2nds for...

Lots of possibilities. That's what make this time of year so great! Just like the TDL :)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
What are you willing to give up? I think giving up a 1st for a player on the decline is asinine for this team.

No I wouldn't give up a first either. Heck I regret the Perron trade seeing as where we finished. We can no longer assume that our first rounder will be very late in the first.

What it will take, I don't know. But I don't see teams giving up a first to get him. But who knows.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

Keeping away from the 30 + players needs to become Gospel around here.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Scuds for Grabner and Sutter for Vrbata are those kind of deals that I would only make on Oct 4th and no significant roster moves have made us better. Not so much because of value, but because Grabner has his own set of warts and I think Sutter can be packaged for a better return than Vrbata (though I wouldn't cry if his happened after major trades and signings had resulted in nothing for us).

I have always loved Coyle. I think he's miscasted as their 3C. I would love to see him on Geno's LW. I think he could flourish given the chance. Always liked watching him. Begs the question that if Minny is looking to shed salary, why would they trade Coyle (3.x) for Sutter + Bennett (at least 4.3). Sundqvist+Bennett for Coyle+3rd/4th sounds more realistic...but I believe the org is too high on Sundqvist.

I agree with both of these things.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

My problems are that he'll likely cost a lot, and he isn't any sort of long term solution. Trading for Sharp tells me that this team is still going to be in full win now mode every single year. I wouldn't want to see us give up any sort of good futures for him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No I wouldn't give up a first either. Heck I regret the Perron trade seeing as where we finished. We can no longer assume that our first rounder will be very late in the first.

What it will take, I don't know. But I don't see teams giving up a first to get him. But who knows.

I bet he gets a lot more than we want to give up. Sadly, I don't think its more than JR would give up.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
A 30+ player can help at the deadline to fill some kind of hole, but padding your team with it at the beginning of the season and shouting "experience!" From the rooftops is when things have gone too far.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
A 30+ player can help at the deadline to fill some kind of hole, but padding your team with it at the beginning of the season and shouting "experience!" From the rooftops is when things have gone too far.

Sharp for anything but a package around Kunitz or Sutter is just not something we should be interested in. Expect to pay big for him :laugh: :cry:

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

Follow the Chicago model because they are operating the way you have to.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'm not 100% on the Kessel train, but I would take Kessel 8 days a week over Sharp. Younger, more skilled, and only 2.1 more...for longer.

I just don't know what assets are involved. If Chicago would take a collection of WBS guys and Bennett or something...sure. If they want Sutter, Kappy, DP...no way. I think the rumor last Feb/Mar was Kunitz, Bennett, Dumo for Sharp and a pick, right?

I wouldn't do that. Well...maybe Kunitz+Bennett+2016 3rd for Sharp+2nd 2015. Then perhaps 2 2nds for a 1st? Or use one or both in a bigger trade...Sutter+2 2nds for...

Lots of possibilities. That's what make this time of year so great! Just like the TDL :)

I agree. I like Kessel but just don't want to gut our already depleted top ELCs for him. Even though he hasn't done anything at the NHL level yet us trading the likes of Kapanen, Harrington, 1st for him is taking 1 step forward and 5 steps back if we can even fill out 1-2 positions on the big club with ELCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad