Salary Cap: This ain't a thread, it's a --- ---- cesspool (Part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
Why is St Louis moving Oshie for Kunitz

Kunitz alone obviously wouldn't do it. There are a couple factors that could play into our favor here though. St Louis is tired of underachieving and they are going to make change for the sake of making change. Although oshie is a strong name recognition,fact is his numbers aren't that special. I know he plays in defensive minded system. Yes I would like him very much. But facts are facts the guys career high is 21 goals. I really don't think he's going to warrant some kind of ransom just because he scored 13 shootout goals vs Russia. That and seems jr has a good repoir with stl I could see a reasonable deal getting done

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh man, if we could somehow land Oshie… he would make people forget all about Neal. I don't think he'd have 40 in him, but 30, plus his ability to create offense on his own, and solid, gritty two way game. I would love to see he and Geno on a line together.

Speaking of which, I sure wish we'd start using Geno on the PK. Imagine sending out Geno and Oshie as your top PK unit.

he's only ever hit 20 goals (21) once. And 5 of them were on the top powerplay, which he almost certainly wouldn't be playing on here. He'd be an upgrade for us for sure, but he won't be making anybody forget about James Neal. Mostly because he is absolutely nothing like James Neal, aside from being a mediocre skater.

The two main things our offense is missing is speed and shooting. I like Oshie, but he doesn't bring either of those things. That doesn't mean we can't bring him in, but its certainly a reason to hesitate. Adding him to a group with Perron and Hornqvist is doing a fine job of building the slowest group of top 6 wings in the league.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oshie would basically be the old Kunitz that we won the cup with.

eh, sort of. Oshie is a more skilled player than Kunitz ever was. But he's also noticeably slower than 2009 Kunitz. Oshie is a more controlled player, but he won't bring the same level of disruption on the forecheck that Kunitz did in those days.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Too slow for Crosby's line i guess?

He's no slower than Perron or Hornqvist. But he does like to hold the puck more than Sid's linemates generally do. I think he'd do best with Geno. If we add him though, I think we would want to add a shooter to the other side. Ideally with some speed.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
He's no slower than Perron or Hornqvist. But he does like to hold the puck more than Sid's linemates generally do. I think he'd do best with Geno. If we add him though, I think we would want to add a shooter to the other side. Ideally with some speed. Hell, even someone like Grabner might not be the worst 3rd wheel with those two.

Major contributing factor oshie would help in is zone entries. Really hard to run johnstons puck possession system when 85% of your wings are incapable of gaining the zone with possession.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Scuderi is from Long Island. Islanders are shopping Grabner and his pricey cap hit. Perhaps there could be a fit somehow... GMJR has said that he's looking to get younger and add some speed. Grabner is a Pens killer. He can replace the speed element missing on Sid's line since Dupuis' absence.

Obviously a sweetener would be required but there's potential desperation on their part to consider Scuds. Isles would be saving cap space in the process as well...

He wouldn't be the worst guy to give a shot to if we can't find two better options. He's only signed for a year, so as long as we aren't giving much up for him I'd be down with it. He'd also be a decent fit for this hypothetical Oshie-Geno-____ line if somehow that were to happen.

I mean, Grabner isn't great, but he checks the two boxes I think we are missing the most: speed and willingness to shoot.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
He wouldn't be the worst guy to give a shot to if we can't find two better options. He's only signed for a year, so as long as we aren't giving much up for him I'd be down with it. He'd also be a decent fit for this hypothetical Oshie-Geno-____ line if somehow that were to happen.

I mean, Grabner isn't great, but he checks the two boxes I think we are missing the most: speed and willingness to shoot.

Plus he's good on the pk! You know how much this organization values that trait.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Major contributing factor oshie would help in is zone entries. Really hard to run johnstons puck possession system when 85% of your wings are incapable of gaining the zone with possession.

That's true. For the right price, I'd certainly be happy to add him. He's not my ideal addition, but he'd be a good one.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Plus he's good on the pk! You know how much this organization values that trait.

A PK with one of Grabner or Dupuis on the ice the majority of the time would be dangerous. Oshie too. It would make trading Sutter that much easier. And if for whatever reason he's still here, being dangerous on the PK is one of Sutter's best qualities as well.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
A PK with one of Grabner or Dupuis on the ice the majority of the time would be dangerous. Oshie too. It would make trading Sutter that much easier. And if for whatever reason he's still here, being dangerous on the PK is one of Sutter's best qualities as well.

Jokes aside I was thinking that as well especially if sutters dealt they are going to need another good pker

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
If Devan Dubnyk continues to play hard ball with Minny, rumors are that Fletcher will have to free up cap space. Cooke buyout is not enough. I just hope they'd consider a Sutter & Bennett for Coyle deal. He's versatile, big and talented. Not playing to expectations either. Signed longterm too. Wouldn't be surprised if they're second guessing signing him to a longterm 5m/yr deal.

Bennett and Zucker have lots of experience playing together in Denver. There's a connection there and Fletcher knows Bennett well.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm kind of annoyed befause I was thinking that this would be a sick top six:

Grabner - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Kessel

But I just found out Grabner plays RW.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I wish Geno was still used on the PK. If Sutter is gone, I feel like HCMJ is gonna have to....

Dupuis, Spaling, Sundqvist....who else?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Seriously hoping that it's not to us ... please don't be the 'splash' that IC mentioned, please, please, please no.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If Devan Dubnyk continues to play hard ball with Minny, rumors are that Fletcher will have to free up cap space. Cooke buyout is not enough. I just hope they'd consider a Sutter & Bennett for Coyle deal. He's versatile, big and talented. Not playing to expectations either. Signed longterm too. Wouldn't be surprised if they're second guessing signing him to a longterm 5m/yr deal.

Bennett and Zucker have lots of experience playing together in Denver. There's a connection there and Fletcher knows Bennett well.

Wouldn't that be like the same cap hit altogether?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wish Geno was still used on the PK. If Sutter is gone, I feel like HCMJ is gonna have to....

Dupuis, Spaling, Sundqvist....who else?

depends who is brought in. He started using Sid 1 or 2 shifts a game after the first playoff game. So hopefully he's realizing that its stupid to leave those guys sitting on the bench.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
depends who is brought in. He started using Sid 1 or 2 shifts a game after the first playoff game. So hopefully he's realizing that its stupid to leave those guys sitting on the bench.

It really is, stick em out in the last 45 seconds or so, back teams up a bit than take em off and drop your 3 fastest players out there....granted we are slow as ****...

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

They obviously know each other, but they did not play together on the same line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad