Friedman: Thinks Zadorov will price himself out of Vancouver.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
3rd pairing guy. Wouldn't really want to pay more than 4 million since he doesn't provide a ton of offense and isn't really a shutdown defenseman.

You can probably get what he provides at a cheaper cost.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He's going to price himself out of Vancouver. Just like Miller and just like Pettersson.

While he has been great for us, beside Hughes mostly, he's not worth what Hughes or Miller have gotten for us, and I don't feel should be in the same conversation for salary/cap consideration.

I hope he stays, but if Friedman is right and not just talking with nothing to back it up (see the previous two, and Vancouver/Horvat not being considered until the bitter end), I'd be fine trading him. Great player for us, but not irreplacable.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Zadorov seems to think he's better than he actually is
Judging by his past contracts and the fact that he has been traded a number of times, it seems that NHL GM's also believe he is better than he actually is. It only takes one stupid GM to overpay a player, and I suspect that this is the type of player who will have 2 or 3 GM's (at least) with stupid contracts for Zadorov. He's the prototypical "bottom 4 who thinks he is a top 4" defenseman, and some desperate GM will give him what he wants, and find out later that it was a mistake.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
3rd pairing guy. Wouldn't really want to pay more than 4 million since he doesn't provide a ton of offense and isn't really a shutdown defenseman.

You can probably get what he provides at a cheaper cost.
Unless he signs for cheap which he won't I'm fine with him leaving.

I have a lot of faith in Alvin and his staff to make sure our defense continues to improve.

EP2 , and Willander are nice internal adds going forward and between UFA and trades, I expect we see him add two better options than Zadorov who Is a good#5-6 but isn't a top 4 guy.
I prefer Myers of him and Cole and hope he re-signs for 2-3 million.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's going to price himself out of Vancouver. Just like Miller and just like Pettersson.

While he has been great for us, beside Hughes mostly, he's not worth what Hughes or Miller have gotten for us, and I don't feel should be in the same conversation for salary/cap consideration.

I hope he stays, but if Friedman is right and not just talking with nothing to back it up (see the previous two, and Vancouver/Horvat not being considered until the bitter end), I'd be fine trading him. Great player for us, but not irreplacable.

You won't be trading him because he's a UFA

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Isn’t he a Canuck fan tho? He said he was jealous of Horvat for getting drafted to VAN. He’s said lots of great things about the city and team, I could see him staying.

The thing is, we can’t overpay. So, ya, depends if he wants to stay..

I don’t think being a fan is nearly as important as growing up in a city. Family for the wife to help raise kids etc.

I’m pretty sure Marchand was a leafs fan duchene loved Colorado.

Most players who go back to their “hometown team” rather than their “childhood team”.

Reactions: lawrence

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's big, physical and can skate. Someone is going to overpay this summer for him, he's going to get #2/#3 type money and he's just not that guy.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He's big, physical and can skate. Someone is going to overpay this summer for him, he's going to get #2/#3 type money and he's just not that guy.
He will get overpaid, overused and some teams fanbase will not be happy.

He's done well in Vancouver because he's being used properly and we have an excellent staff and structure.

If he goes to a team like the leafs and is used as a top four guy, it's gonna be a Trainwreck.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don't know about that he's been around long enough that I think teams understand his limitations but could definitely see him getting the Ryan Graves contract, maybe a year less at a bit more money. Realistically he shouldn't get much of a raise from what he's currently making

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
On his 5th NHL team and never been close to averaging 20 min on any of them. I think words out that he's a bottom pair guy, maybe a #4 in a pinch.

I highly doubt he'll get the contract he wants. Maybe he'd do a higher AAV 1 year contract though, he's the type to bet on himself.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Been saying this for a while. He supposedly demanded 5x5 from the Flames and I doubt that's changed much for the Canucks. He absolutely sees himself as a solid #3 if not a #2 and he just isn't by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd love to bring him back but I'd struggle to go above 4M and have zero interest at 4.5M or higher.

• Haha
Reactions: thaman8765678

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
On his 5th NHL team and never been close to averaging 20 min on any of them. I think words out that he's a bottom pair guy, maybe a #4 in a pinch.

I highly doubt he'll get the contract he wants. Maybe he'd do a higher AAV 1 year contract though, he's the type to bet on himself.

In a world where Gudbranson makes 4mil, and Myers makes 6mil, I’m not sure you’re right. I think someone is gonna overpay him, I hope it’s not Vancouver. I like the guy, we just can’t afford to overpay guys right now.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I guess it depends. I don't think 5M for 2 years is too much. I do think 5M for 6 years is too much. If his skating drops off he will be a 3M physical defenseman. His skating is the thing that saves him from his hockey sense and decision making.
He’s a ufa at age 28. He will try the most years possible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Friedman is a Leaf fan who hates the Canucks and puts out a negative/destabilizing Canucks article/blurb almost every week.

The difference between how he reports on the Leafs and Canucks is hilarious.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m going to say he re signs for a couple reasons.

1. Rutherford and Allvin were interested in him since the 2023 deadline and there was reported interest for him during the summer.
2. His agent Dan Milstein and Allvin have a tight relationship.
3. Zadorov has expressed his desire to win now. He’s a competitive guy, I highly doubt he goes and signs a mega contract on a bottom feeder team which realistically are the only types of team that could give him an inflated contract.
4. He’s already established himself as a locker room guy and the players absolutely love him.
5. He has said Vancouver’s hospitality, coaching staff, and support system is the best thing he’s ever been apart of.

There’s also his comments the other day saying he’d take Mackinnon over Matthews and while that’s not really an actual reason for him not to sign with Toronto it is still worth mentioning.

I think what we’ll see is he re signs at $4M for 5 or 6 years. Personally, I’m fine with that figure. He’ll be $1M overpaid, but he will be a #5 mainstay for the Canucks, and if shit ever hits the fan like good ol Canucks fashion, there will be takers for Zadorov at his full cap hit. Monstrous guys like him that can skate with pace are a unicorn and GM’s will certainly pay up to get him in a rising cap world.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I like him and all, but he's a #5 on a good team and he probably believes he can play a bigger role. With his unique blend of size, toughness, skating and the occasional burst of offense he will surely be given a pretty sizeable contract, I can't imagine him coming in at less than 5x5. He's the kind of player good teams say goodbye and good luck to at the end of their contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad