Friedman: Thinks Zadorov will price himself out of Vancouver.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I remember when our GM Rick Dudley had a hard on for huge defensemen, oh how I yearn for a time when, Branislav Mezei, Mathieu Biron, and Kristian Kudroc were our overdized hopes for the future, it went so well lol

Yeah even Benoit is 6"4 and Bobby Mcmann is 6"2. Treliving seems to make it a priority to target and keep size.

That's not a complaint either that's just an observation, in fact considering how big the defense in Vegas is that's probably the right thing to do.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Mercenary type player. Like the guy but most of these Russians play for money.

Nothing wrong with that. It’s pro sports. But that’s where the loyalty lies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Gudbranson can get 4x4 I shudder to think what a GM is going to give Zadorov.
Imo Zadorov is 100% right to use this as a starting point. Gudas is another one, or Luke Schenn.

Someone will pay it. Not every team is right up against the cap, and these teams with cap are usually starving for a stable veteran with character.

And I will never fault a player for taking cash like that vs getting a fraction of that to be depth on a contender. I'm more inclined to be critical of players who leave all that money on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Mercenary type player. Like the guy but most of these Russians play for money.

Nothing wrong with that. It’s pro sports. But that’s where the loyalty lies.

You can make a legitimate argument that's where the loyalty should be.

All it takes is 1 bad hit.

Ask Eric Lindros and Marc Savard about that.

Sure they both played games again but it wasn't the same.

Imo Zadorov is 100% to use this as a starting point. Gudas is another one, or Luke Schenn.

Someone will pay it. Not every team is right up against the cap, and these teams with cap are usually starving for a stable veteran with character.

And I will never fault a player for taking cash like that vs getting a fraction of that to be depth on a contender. I'm more inclined to be critical of players who leave all that money on the table.

Luke Schenn would be a terrible starting point he makes less than Zadorov

Reactions: McJedi

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
Isn't it pretty common for deadline acquisitions to not stay with their new team? the whole idea is you get a player you cant fit in and make it work with the lower pro-rated cap hit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You can make a legitimate argument that's where the loyalty should be.

All it takes is 1 bad hit.

Ask Eric Lindros and Marc Savard about that.

Sure they both played games again but it wasn't the same.

Luke Schenn would be a terrible starting point he makes less than Zadorov
We don't know what pricing himself out of Vancouver means though. Maybe all Zadorov would demand would be Schenn money but your typical contender would insist of half of even that, saying that his value is going down as he ages

I do put all those type of Dmen together as comparables with teams and agents arguing on which match best. I'm sure that the Canucks would want to use a comp more like Lyubushkin

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’m guessing he wants at least a 5x5, but who is going to give it to him

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I mean, I say pay him what he's worth. He's a bottom pairing defenseman at an age where you can make a reasonable assumption this is the player he is and will be. I hope he doesn't price himself out, because I did not expect to fall in love with him as a hockey player. He's an important player, but there's a cap to manage too and ours is f***ed.

@Chaos2k7 Watching him extended(ly?) this season, you can definitely see what the scouts were seeing in him at 18. Great teammate, great competitor, strong as an ox (and knows this!), and out of nowhere, he'll make some deft offensive reads.
He's been making 3.75M for 3 straight years, has had some good seasons in that time, with the cap finally rising, he'll probably want 5M

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We don't know what pricing himself out of Vancouver means though. Maybe all Zadorov would demand would be Schenn money but your typical contender would insist of half of even that, saying that his value is going down as he ages

I do put all those type of Dmen together as comparables with teams and agents arguing on which match best. I'm sure that the Canucks would want to use a comp more like Lyubushkin

I'm sure they would, the problem is both Gudas and Gudbranson exist.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Is he “pricing himself out” or just taking the opportunity to be a ufa and go where he wants if he can? Seems to be weird for people to be calling him a mercenary for doing the same thing almost every guy in the league does.

Does Vancouver not have a tight budget? Wouldn’t it be like them to need cheaper help amongst the role players? I don’t get why people would struggle with him not wanting to be squeezed so much by this.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
His underlying numbers with Calgary were brutal

They are decent since the switch to vancouver
Noted by his even strength defense which is good.

-Right shot
-With size, and stands up for teammates, and hits

I could see his agent getting a good contract for him.
His underlying numbers weren't brutal with Calgary. They are worse in Vancouver, however.

He is a left shot.

At age 28 he has entered the prime years of a d-man.

I think he is worth 4.5 max and is quit capable of playing on a second pairing. Is that an ideal spot for him? No.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
4.5x5 is a reasonable deal for Zadorov. He does bring a physical element with great skating ability.

Now I can see a team handing out 5-6M per if there’s another Benning like GM out there just like the 6x5 Tyler Myers contract.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Big, slow Dman that's almost 30. I'm sure the team that signs him long term in free agency won't have any regrets. I've always liked Zadorov as a bottom pairing Dman but he's probably going to get around 4.5 million on his next deal.
It's funny that you think Zadorov is slow. His decision making is puzzling sometimes, but he's an elite skater. He skates like Hanifin.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm a big fan of Zadorov. I think he's a 4 not a 5. That said, I'd be hesitant to give him term. The thing that makes him good is his size and skating. His decision making and hockey sense are weak. If those wheels fall off he's a #6. I'd give him his 5M he wants, but only for 2 years if I was a GM that needed that player.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Who is gonna overpay him though? It’s not like KHL will pay higher than a middle three nhl salary. Nothing wrong with testing the market but I don’t think there is a huge pot of gold at the end of the rainbow here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Is he “pricing himself out” or just taking the opportunity to be a ufa and go where he wants if he can? Seems to be weird for people to be calling him a mercenary for doing the same thing almost every guy in the league does.

Does Vancouver not have a tight budget? Wouldn’t it be like them to need cheaper help amongst the role players? I don’t get why people would struggle with him not wanting to be squeezed so much by this.

Make no mistake about it, he is a mercenery most players are and even the ones that do take slightly less than their open market value still get their money.

Being a mercenary Isn't a bad thing It's the way they should be because 1 bad hit and It's over.

get EVERY DIME

Who is gonna overpay him though? It’s not like KHL will pay higher than a middle three nhl salary. Nothing wrong with testing the market but I don’t think there is a huge pot of gold at the end of the rainbow here.

You obviously don't know how hard Treliving went after Zadorov and Tanev

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad