Referees: Thinking about becoming a USA hockey ref.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
I've been considering going through the training to become a USA hockey ref. Was wondering if anyone here has gone through the training for it. Is it difficult? is it worth it? I read on the USA site that there are a few online courses to do and an in class part. Just looking for some people who have gone through it to share their experiences.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I've been considering going through the training to become a USA hockey ref. Was wondering if anyone here has gone through the training for it. Is it difficult? is it worth it? I read on the USA site that there are a few online courses to do and an in class part. Just looking for some people who have gone through it to share their experiences.

No it's not difficult and yes it's worth it since you have to do it to be eligible to ref USA Hockey. Why do you want to referee? You would start out as a level one referee and it is not difficult to pass the test you just take an open book exam on information from the rule book they send you. I believe you need to score 35/50. Where are you from? You are also required to attend the seminar which usually last 7-8 hours on a Saturday. Let me know if you have more questions I ref every level of USA Hockey as well as college. Happy to assist you with any other questions you have.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
What surprises me about the USA hockey system is they don't start you out as a linesman

Squirts(10u) and peewees(12u) which are the levels he/she wold be doing (and some bantams) use the two official system so no lines at all at those levels.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
my SO was a USA Hockey official for awhile. the test and seminar aren't difficult. you do need to be a better-than-beginner skater even for the mites and squirts.
it's a great way to get more involved in the game and make some extra money. you'll need to put out some money initially for the equipment. how much depends on how strict your association is.
once you get into games the 2 most important things are to listen to your more experienced partner and to tune out the screaming parents.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
No it's not difficult and yes it's worth it since you have to do it to be eligible to ref USA Hockey. Why do you want to referee? You would start out as a level one referee and it is not difficult to pass the test you just take an open book exam on information from the rule book they send you. I believe you need to score 35/50. Where are you from? You are also required to attend the seminar which usually last 7-8 hours on a Saturday. Let me know if you have more questions I ref every level of USA Hockey as well as college. Happy to assist you with any other questions you have.

I'm from Evansville Indiana.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
The classes and tests are simple. Level 3 and 4 closed book test are tough...mostly due to the fact the questions are written terribly, IMO.

It's definitely worth it to me. I enjoy staying involved in the game (besides playing adult league) and feeling like I'm helping it out by improving the quality of officials in the area. It's also nice to pick your own schedule, unlike coaching. The extra cash is nice also, of course, but I would do it for less.

I'm from Evansville Indiana.
How many rinks are in that area? Just curious.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
The classes and tests are simple. Level 3 and 4 closed book test are tough...mostly due to the fact the questions are written terribly, IMO.

It's definitely worth it to me. I enjoy staying involved in the game (besides playing adult league) and feeling like I'm helping it out by improving the quality of officials in the area. It's also nice to pick your own schedule, unlike coaching. The extra cash is nice also, of course, but I would do it for less.

How many rinks are in that area? Just curious.

One in evansville. And one about an hour away in Owensboro kentucky

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
One in evansville. And one about an hour away in Owensboro kentucky
Games will be hard to come by depending on how many referees are in your area you may only get a couple of games. Here in Minneapolis where there are 150+ sheets of ice in a 30 mile radius it isn't an issue for new officials to get games at the youth level.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Squirts(10u) and peewees(12u) which are the levels he/she wold be doing (and some bantams) use the two official system so no lines at all at those levels.

It also depends on the league I believe, like the LIAHL (Long Island Amateur Hockey League) where I live is 1 ref and 2 linesman up until midget I believe, which is 2 refs and 2 Linesman. There are also leagues like tier 1 AYHL (Atlantic Youth Hockey league) by me that use the 2 man system

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Games will be hard to come by depending on how many referees are in your area you may only get a couple of games. Here in Minneapolis where there are 150+ sheets of ice in a 30 mile radius it isn't an issue for new officials to get games at the youth level.

There aren't many refs... i can think of 7 off the top of my head, but of those 7 only 2 or 3 are around regularly.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Absolutely worth it. Who in their right mind doesn't want to get paid to skate? Hell I'd take a free skate even, but getting paid on top of it to boot? Sure! Even if you only work a couple games a week, officiating is very rewarding, teaches you a completely new dimension of the game, and you make money doing it. It has some responsibilities, but honestly the lower levels and adult league are pretty easy. I'm in my 3rd year as an official and just called my 3rd game misconduct tonight ever, and have never had to call a match penalty or have a line brawl happen, for example.

What surprises me about the USA hockey system is they don't start you out as a linesman

It echoes what others have said earlier, but most lower-level youth games here as well as adult leagues, use the 2-official system where you make both line calls as well as refereeing decisions such as penalties and goal calls. That's what USA Hockey officials start out learning, the referee/linesman synergy is not taught until later levels.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
It echoes what others have said earlier, but most lower-level youth games here as well as adult leagues, use the 2-official system where you make both line calls as well as refereeing decisions such as penalties and goal calls. That's what USA Hockey officials start out learning, the referee/linesman synergy is not taught until later levels.

I understand that, but over here there's no set officiating system and it's just based on numbers and availability of officials so it depends. We aim to have 3 for everything but sometimes that isn't possible

It just makes more sense to me to start on the line as it seems there's too many rules to know to be thrown straight into calling penalties, I realise you probably have a more experienced partner with you but still, most new young officials wouldn't be comfortable in that position straight away. I think it's best to master the linesman-only stuff first and then learn the referee stuff later when you've already gained some experience that you can apply, I never actually went on a course to be taught how to referee, I was able to make the transition because I had picked up loads of things from being on the line and seeing situations

Is there a minimum age you have to be to register as an official in USA hockey?

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I understand that, but over here there's no set officiating system and it's just based on numbers and availability of officials so it depends. We aim to have 3 for everything but sometimes that isn't possible

It just makes more sense to me to start on the line as it seems there's too many rules to know to be thrown straight into calling penalties, I realise you probably have a more experienced partner with you but still, most new young officials wouldn't be comfortable in that position straight away. I think it's best to master the linesman-only stuff first and then learn the referee stuff later when you've already gained some experience that you can apply, I never actually went on a course to be taught how to referee, I was able to make the transition because I had picked up loads of things from being on the line and seeing situations

No minimum age but common sense kicks in. A 12 yr old wouldn't be assigned to ref a game with 14 yr olds playing in it. Most referee associations around here don't let kids under 13 ref anything above mites.

The two man system at the lower level works well for new officials because they can afford to make mistakes and learn from them at those levels as squirts and peewees are all about development anyways despite some hot headed coaches most understand.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I actually think that situation would be ideal, personally, but USA Hockey disagrees and does not sanction 3-4 officials for lower youth or adult recreational games. While availability would not be an issue even with the relative shortage of refs in my city (I'm skating 5 games today, whee) for using 3 officials, obviously, since we're paid, hiring only 2 officials is cheaper. That's the main reason really, since I personally feel that 2 refs/2 linesmen is the optimal system, but leagues here pay $80 per game for officials, and after union dues and stuff it's about $34 that goes into my pocket for an adult league game. I'd rather skate the 2-official system and get paid $34 than skate the 4-official system for what would be about $18, considering the leagues would be unwilling to pay $160 for 4 officials instead of $80 for 2, even though 4 is more ideal.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I actually think that situation would be ideal, personally, but USA Hockey disagrees and does not sanction 3-4 officials for lower youth or adult recreational games. While availability would not be an issue even with the relative shortage of refs in my city (I'm skating 5 games today, whee) for using 3 officials, obviously, since we're paid, hiring only 2 officials is cheaper. That's the main reason really, since I personally feel that 2 refs/2 linesmen is the optimal system, but leagues here pay $80 per game for officials, and after union dues and stuff it's about $34 that goes into my pocket for an adult league game. I'd rather skate the 2-official system and get paid $34 than skate the 4-official system for what would be about $18, considering the leagues would be unwilling to pay $160 for 4 officials instead of $80 for 2, even though 4 is more ideal.

Old topic but I'll reply.

Actually the most prominent reason USA hockey likes the 3 man system (2 lines, 1 ref) is due to them wanting consistency in calling the game and you get that more with 1 ref rather than 2 although it causes some less skilled officials to miss a lot of stuff. Minnesota uses the 3 man in most districts for Bantams and girls 14u only. Peewees and squirts are all 2 man. The Minnesota state high school league uses the two ref one lines system which many youth referees wish USA hockey would go to but again they have spelt out their philosophy on that numerous times to us.

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
What sort of skating ability is required for level 1? I'm fine on pretty much everything forwards, comfortable transitioning (one way) and skating backwards. I just am not comfortable doing backward crossovers.

I love skating, and doing some low level officiating seems interesting in my spare time....

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
What sort of skating ability is required for level 1? I'm fine on pretty much everything forwards, comfortable transitioning (one way) and skating backwards. I just am not comfortable doing backward crossovers.

I love skating, and doing some low level officiating seems interesting in my spare time....

I just became a level one ref over the summer and you pretty much need to skate good enough to not embarrass yourself. My highest level of skating was playing rec league hockey at my local rink until I was 13ish. Most likely they will put you with the mites doing cross ice at first. Obviously get on the ice more and skate to get your confidence up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad