Things that will happen on 2006 draft day

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The Canucks find a way to pick the worst possible player at whichever spot they end up at. Libor Polasek and Shawn Antoski here we come!!

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Garp said:
Write five more or less surprising things that you think will happen on draft day:

1 : St-Louis trade down to 4 (Caps) or 2 (Pens) and grab Kessel or Stall and Kessel doesn't fal (he's picked 2nd overall)
2 : Minisota trade up packaging its two first picks and grab Backstrom
3 : Colombus takes Brassard higher than expected (6th)
4 : Tlusty is drafted in the top 10 before Frolik and Frolik falls out of the top 12
5 : Helenius and Bernier will be top 20 picks and one will go in the top 15.

6 : Florida won't take Stewart... ;)

Rangers will trade Montoya to Florida for their #1 and draft Staal.

Vic Rattlehead*

Alexander the Great said:
Niinimaki compensation? What happened to him

Same with Boston and Lars Jonsson. If the Bruins don't sign, they get the 37th overall pick as compensation.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
does the rule only apply to first rounders that don't sign? are there any other teams in the same situation that'll get compensatory picks?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lundqvist#30 said:
does the rule only apply to first rounders that don't sign? are there any other teams in the same situation that'll get compensatory picks?

Just 1st rounders

ThisYearsModel said:
Rangers will trade Montoya to Florida for their #1 and draft Staal.

I wouldn't be so sure that's not that bad of a trade.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
King'sPawn said:
The Florida Panthers try to draft Angelo Esposito, saying that if put his age in years living on Mercury, he's actually way over the age of 18.

Man the NHL screwed us over with Ovy. Give him back caps.

Staal will be somehow available at #10, because he is found out to have been adopted.

jb**

the Flyers will trade into the top 5. they have 3 2nds and thier first.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
NWO said:

Who would trade their top 5 pick to the flyers though? Penguins wont, St Louis def wont. Neither will Chicago. Do you think Washington or Boston would?

Although I doubt this happens it would be nice if it did, it would be great. With all the young talent the team has one more real young stud would be awesome if not we could get a top ten pick, we could use a real good winger, Emmerton or Stewart or Okposo maybe. At that we could even use Defense if we trade into the top 15, Therien and Hatcher and Desjardins are not getting any younger, if we traded a first and a second we could get a nice pick, Wishart, Shutron. I would like the flyers to get sanguinetti but i dont think another Offensive d-man is what they need. They have Pitkanen and Johnsson who produce from the point

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
-31- said:
isn't Florida's pick like 10th?

I was thinking that myself, I am not the biggest Staal fan(i personally put him #5) but if he drops to were the Islanders pick(#7), no way in hell will they not draft him.

The only way i won't be pissed if he drops past the Islanders is if Toews, Kessel or Backstrom are also available. I would also settle on us taking Mueller over Staal(not that both guys being there when we pick will happen).

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
boredmale said:
I was thinking that myself, I am not the biggest Staal fan(i personally put him #5) but if he drops to were the Islanders pick(#7), no way in hell will they not draft him.

The only way i won't be pissed if he drops past the Islanders is if Toews, Kessel or Backstrom are also available. I would also settle on us taking Mueller over Staal(not that both guys being there when we pick will happen).
Don't be too surprised if Kessel is still there when the Isles pick. This reminds me of what happened to Samsonov. He also started out as a clear #1 overall but then dropped on draft day.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
inferno98 said:
Do you think Washington or Boston would?

No chance Washington trades their 4th overall pick unless its to move up. The team needs quality, not quantity. They already have 2 first round picks and 3 second round picks.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Draftman said:
Don't be too surprised if Kessel is still there when the Isles pick. This reminds me of what happened to Samsonov. He also started out as a clear #1 overall but then dropped on draft day.

no way Kessel drops that much, there is bound to be 1 team that likes him and thinks his attitude problem is over rated.

I can't see him going past boston

Vic Rattlehead*

NWO said:

Don't count on it.

The draft is great at the top, but is weak after the top 10. I doubt any team in the top 5 will trade down.

littleD

Gary Bettman: "There has been a trade."

Crowd oohs and aahs.

GB: "The Vancouver Canucks..."

Crowd pops loudly.

GB: "...trade their first round draft pick in this year's draft..."

Crowd boos

GB: "...and Todd Bertuzzi..."

Angry Canuck fans swarm the Canucks draft table. Dave Nonis is left in a heap under the table.

GB: "...to <insert Eastern Conference team> for <insert draft picks> and <insert players and prospect>."

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Columbus will not trade up or down in the first round. They will sit at 6 and take a forward. I'm going out on a limb here. :D

BladesofSteel21

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bob Clarke will trade all his 6th/7th rd picks for picks in 2007, so he does'nt have to
hang around on Sunday, so he can make his tee time at the local golf course.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Blues will keep Johnson. The Pens will take Kessel. Chicago will take Towes, much to the chargin of Washington who will then take Staal. Boston will however then take Backstom much to the chagrin of many teams below them. None of the other teams will be able to move into the top five in this crappy, crappy 1996/2002 like daft year, even though they will dangle the impossible to resist mythical golden second round picks, the HF bandaide for all crappy trade proposals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad