Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
One last podcast summary for me before I'm mostly MIA this weekend.

Charlie on Fedotov
-Bones of this extension were agreed when he was in Russia - agent basically told him "this is what he's making now, if you want him, this is the cost to get him"
-Thinks Flyers might be a little sentimental on him, and his circumstances, so it could be an overpay - also thinks Flyers fans might be a bit offbase on how good he actually is because of inflated save percentages in the KHL - and his numbers were like top 12ish or something? Not as good as you would think they actually were?
Flyers fans disillusioned by something out of blind faith and hopium?!

I’m shocked!

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Btw - I'm putting this in a separate post but...

I genuinely love PHLY Flyers, I think the production quality is great, they are up to date on their news - and they know the team inside out. Like Bill is a wealth of knowledge. He does his HW. I regularly listen to like 10 podcasts across all my teams (lol)I can't say that about everyone I listen too. It's clear when someone doesn't know.

I'm a huge Bill Matz guy, I align with his opinions hard. He is not on board with giving TK a big deal, and wonders how they are going to get top end talent without tearing this thing down. I understand Charlie isn't everyone's cup of tea and can be off-putting for some - but I think he's the best beat in this city. He is basically like one of two people in the locker room covering the team who uses advanced metrics and data to support his opinions. Kelly and JP provide nice value to the show too.

Maybe I'm overrating the show because there's not much else out there like this - but I really enjoy the coverage.

I'm also assuming that the Flyers coverage is also not as in demand as the Eagles, Phils, Sixers - there's just less people backed by a news outlet, or TV - doing shows like this.

I used to be somewhat in his corner.

He’s become far too anxious to say something critical of the team beyond little jokes, here - and there. He used to hold them to the fire more in the past.

I don’t appreciate him shitting on fans, along with Hinkle/Charlie who are critical of the team currently - because they are “just a negative bunch”. He’s entitled to his opinion but it’s that crowd imo that got him into the spots he’s in now.

I understand when Charlie says “it’s no fun following a crappy team”, I’m sure it’s exhausting following the Flyers for the last decade, but it’s hard to get sympathy when he’s so holier than thou, same goes for Hinkle.

The new guy they added, says a whole lot of nothing while opening his mouth for generic filler comments. Personality of a turnip.

I was a fan of BSH, the tone shift with PHLY is almost STG esque.

For what it’s worth, think they all (Charlie especially) would be perceived in a better light if they covered a competent organization. This fanbase is polarized 10/10, and one side is bound to hate you.

Reactions: VladDrag

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
my take as of NOW .....
torts goes, whole Coots drama made no sense
keep Brink - skating needs a little improvement(speed) he as everything else
trade TK(+) for a good, YOUNG, #2 Dman
Cam A gone
get Drysdale healthy

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
My gut is telling me Torts is here for one more year - they get a clean slate when Michkov is over
That sounds about right, especially if they regress to being mid 20s again.

I don't think the Michkov camp would have a problem with playing one season for Torts, but it would be hilarious to see how fast they moved him out if it was going to delay Michkov coming over.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Not sure how Torts stays, but he will.

This Couts shit seems to of broken the team.
I personally heard the Coots scratch did not sit well with Danny. Idk if that is true or not, but just what I heard.

Additionally, Torts isn’t a Jones or Danny guy. I’m not saying they don’t appreciate him, or don’t like him… they didn’t hire him, he’s not their guy - they are former players, they know what it’s like to see coaches lose the room. i will be surprised if Torts makes it to 2025-2026 if this team doesn’t make the playoffs

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I personally heard the Coots scratch did not sit well with Danny. Idk if that is true or not, but just what I heard.

Additionally, Torts isn’t a Jones or Danny guy. I’m not saying they don’t appreciate him, or don’t like him… they didn’t hire him, he’s not their guy - they are former players, they know what it’s like to see coaches lose the room. i will be surprised if Torts makes it to 2025-2026 if this team doesn’t make the playoffs
Terrifying if true

Reactions: VladDrag

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Bringing back Torts this year, which is going to happen, has potential disaster written all over it. It's been reported by multiple (and good) sources that the room is divided on Torts. I don't know who is and who isn't for and against him, but you have to guess the names are pretty big players in the room...Farabee, Frost, Couts, Brink didn't good seasons when it comes to relationship with Torts. Ditto Sanheim last year....

And, Torts isn't the kind of guy who will change his tactics. He basically said as much in the post season presser. How many off-seasons can you go moving out players the coach doesn't like? Last off-season for the most part, removing those players made the team better. But now, you have disgruntled players who actively help you win hockey games. Plus, you can't move all of those guys in one off-season.

It's only a matter of time before more players fall in his bad graces, or get sick of his schtick. There's a very real possibility of the team basically quitting on Torts by game 41. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but the possibility is real.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Bringing back Torts this year, which is going to happen, has potential disaster written all over it. It's been reported by multiple (and good) sources that the room is divided on Torts. I don't know who is and who isn't for and against him, but you have to guess the names are pretty big players in the room...Farabee, Frost, Couts, Brink didn't good seasons when it comes to relationship with Torts. Ditto Sanheim last year....

And, Torts isn't the kind of guy who will change his tactics. He basically said as much in the post season presser. How many off-seasons can you go moving out players the coach doesn't like? Last off-season for the most part, removing those players made the team better. But now, you have disgruntled players who actively help you win hockey games. Plus, you can't move all of those guys in one off-season.

It's only a matter of time before more players fall in his bad graces, or get sick of his schtick. There's a very real possibility of the team basically quitting on Torts by game 41. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but the possibility is real.

This is why it’s important to have a Rocky Thompson/Ian Laperriere in the wings. They’re our very own Andrew Brunette.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yep. That's what he does. He will always find enemies. Ship some out, he makes more. Ship them out, he will make more.

I am on record and reinforce my belief that by January, the collapse will be on.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If you google Tortorella's chats after being canned, the same thing pops up again and again. The guy plays mind games with the players. Soon or later that wears thin and the trouble begins. I'm not going to attack his grinding on Hayes, TDA or Provorov but now he's had run ins with Sanheim, Farabee, Brink, Frost and Couturier. There may be more that we don't know about. For whatever reasons, he's delayed the development of several young players while catering to vets whose careers are cooked.
His defense always is that he's pushing accountability. That may be but there are other ways to bring that about. A coach can't continue to run players into the dirt, franchise after franchise. Its this guys MO and its doomed for failure here; soon than later.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The idea that it's okay for Torts to torment and beef with players we didn't like (Hayes, Provorov, TDA) because they were players we didn't like was always laughable. Were we really supposed to believe he would turn over a new leaf after they gave him the roster he wanted and that he would stop playing mind games with his roster because now it has players we like on it? The whole idea is absurd. Torts has one move and it's to feud with any and all players on his team, regardless of whether we as fans like said players.

How many off-seasons can you go moving out players the coach doesn't like?
Maybe we'll get lucky and a feud will develop between Torts and Deslauriers, and Danny will be forced to trade ND and make this team better via addition by subtraction like he did with TDA and Provorov.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Maybe we'll get lucky and a feud will develop between Torts and Deslauriers, and Danny will be forced to trade ND and make this team better via addition by subtraction like he did with TDA and Provorov.
I doubt Deslauriers would bite the hand that feeds him. He realizes Tortorella is the only coach that would regularly dress him

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
I used to be somewhat in his corner.

He’s become far too anxious to say something critical of the team beyond little jokes, here - and there. He used to hold them to the fire more in the past.

I don’t appreciate him shitting on fans, along with Hinkle/Charlie who are critical of the team currently - because they are “just a negative bunch”. He’s entitled to his opinion but it’s that crowd imo that got him into the spots he’s in now.

I understand when Charlie says “it’s no fun following a crappy team”, I’m sure it’s exhausting following the Flyers for the last decade, but it’s hard to get sympathy when he’s so holier than thou, same goes for Hinkle.

The new guy they added, says a whole lot of nothing while opening his mouth for generic filler comments. Personality of a turnip.

I was a fan of BSH, the tone shift with PHLY is almost STG esque.

For what it’s worth, think they all (Charlie especially) would be perceived in a better light if they covered a competent organization. This fanbase is polarized 10/10, and one side is bound to hate you.
I am more positive about Charlie than most people here. I like Matz. I find JP adds nothing. He's an annoyance that spouts platitudes. Hinkle is just a fan that seems slightly more educated than the typical casual fan, but never has added anything I found insightful

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think next year's regression will have a lot more to do with TK being gone than anything torts does
I've watched more talented flyers teams phone it in don't think I could stomach watching this one do it

Reactions: BernieParent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad