Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Yep, Brisson probably checks multiple boxes for Couturier, both to improve relations and in case things go south.
I cant se him having any trade value. Cant see the Flyer retaining as that would be dumb on the surface. They are stuck for the near future.

As far as the improving relations IMO the agent wont have any effect on that as it is between the player and coach. Coach aint gonna budge and the player will just go about his business.

Haven't seen anything indicating danny or Jones have any issues with the player an vice versa.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I cant se him having any trade value. Cant see the Flyer retaining as that would be dumb on the surface. They are stuck for the near future.

As far as the improving relations IMO the agent wont have any effect on that as it is between the player and coach. Coach aint gonna budge and the player will just go about his business.

Haven't seen anything indicating danny or Jones have any issues with the player a vice versa.
This is all specifically what agents do.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Dude, what? Load management is absolutely a responsibility of the coach.
Yes, if it is needed. Load management is needed to manage the load. If the player says he can play and doctors aren't concerned, then what are we managing? I don't know if you were one of the people up in arms but everyone freaks out when a guy like Coots (or Ghost, or whomever) is a healthy scratch when Torts does it because he doesn't like something the player did...but doing it when the player says he can play and doctors say he can play is ok? And what about the playoffs? If load management matters in the regular season shouldn't it matter in the playoffs? Are you going to sit Coots on back to back nights in the playoffs? If not, why not? What if he gets hurt or worn down?

If there's an indication he shouldn't be playing because of his health, then absolutely it is the coach's job to address that (just like if the player isn't playing well it is the coaches job to address that). If the player is fine from a health standpoint then no it isn't coach's job to hold him out "just in case" he gets hurt or tired.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Yes, if it is needed. Load management is needed to manage the load. If the player says he can play and doctors aren't concerned, then what are we managing? I don't know if you were one of the people up in arms but everyone freaks out when a guy like Coots (or Ghost, or whomever) is a healthy scratch when Torts does it because he doesn't like something the player did...but doing it when the player says he can play and doctors say he can play is ok? And what about the playoffs? If load management matters in the regular season shouldn't it matter in the playoffs? Are you going to sit Coots on back to back nights in the playoffs? If not, why not? What if he gets hurt or worn down?

If there's an indication he shouldn't be playing because of his health, then absolutely it is the coach's job to address that (just like if the player isn't playing well it is the coaches job to address that). If the player is fine from a health standpoint then no it isn't coach's job to hold him out "just in case" he gets hurt or tired.
common sense says you limit his workload after missing 2 years and double back surgery. Even if he is healthy.

Now that being said based on his play there is a valid reason why he was scratched.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
connecting the couturier situation to Clarke is beyond a reach.

why is that unfortunate? was he forced to sign that ext? he choose to stay here so no sympathy at all.

Tortorella is enraging Couturier and others. Clarke was thrilled that would happen. It is a core team value. Hextall introduced the idea that young players need to suffer for no reason, and the old dust bags who run this show in his image adored that idea. Like I said from the start, Tortorella is the embodiment of everything bad about the team's management. Every ongoing rupture in player relations instigated by their homonculus is an expression of what they value. They've expected that they can be shit bags to players with impunity but they've finally started f***ing with a wrong player. One can only hope that it's enough of a shock to puncture the Clarkian values of player abuse that have reigned supremeband been the regular MO since Snyder began declining, and start some kind of a return to Snyder's preferences for player treatment.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Tortorella is enraging Couturier and others. Clarke was thrilled that would happen. It is a core team value. Hextall introduced the idea that young players need to suffer for no reason, and the old dust bags who run this show in his image adored that idea. Like I said from the start, Tortorella is the embodiment of everything bad about the team's management. Every ongoing rupture in player relations instigated by their homonculus is an expression of what they value. They've expected that they can be shit bags to players with impunity but they've finally started f***ing with a wrong player. One can only hope that it's enough of a shock to puncture the Clarkian values of player abuse that have reigned supremeband been the regular MO since Snyder began declining, and start some kind of a return to Snyder's preferences for player treatment.
so at the end of the day clarke is the reason we have the couturier situation?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

I'm glad you recognize there is some space between "totally healthy" and "coming back from 2 years off of hockey".

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm glad you recognize there is some space between "totally healthy" and "coming back from 2 years off of hockey".
Just look at Kawhi Leonard on the Raptors.

Missed all but 9 games in San Antonio

Was cleared to play in Toronto but they did not play him in back to back nights and made sure on weeks with lots of games, they watched his workload. in the end, he played 60 games...missing 20ish.

But it kept him fresh for the games he did play and of course the playoffs where there are no game's on b2b nights.

Couts certainty should have been on a games restriction as well as a minutes...especially if the team REALLY believed this was a development year. But we know that was a lie and early on Torts used couts way too much in attempting to win games. It was pointed out in real time by multiple as it happened.

Torts was focused on benching Frost and making him a target of his scorn.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
common sense says you limit his workload after missing 2 years and double back surgery. Even if he is healthy.

Now that being said based on his play there is a valid reason why he was scratched.
Whose common sense? There is a medical team and a player saying the player can play. Wouldn't that be common sense, listening to the doctors and the person? I didn't realize common sense was "I am going to choose not to listen to the player or the doctors." Again, this is different if the medical staff is saying he is able to play but not at full capacity. In that situation yes absolutely you do that. But if not, how is it common sense to ignore what doctors (and the player) are telling you?
Of course there is, and that is what the medical staff and Coots' input is there for. Unless there is something I have missed, neither Coots or the docs wanted to have his minutes or games cut for medical reasons.
Just look at Kawhi Leonard on the Raptors.

Missed all but 9 games in San Antonio

Was cleared to play in Toronto but they did not play him in back to back nights and made sure on weeks with lots of games, they watched his workload. in the end, he played 60 games...missing 20ish.

But it kept him fresh for the games he did play and of course the playoffs where there are no game's on b2b nights.

Couts certainty should have been on a games restriction as well as a minutes...especially if the team REALLY believed this was a development year. But we know that was a lie and early on Torts used couts way too much in attempting to win games. It was pointed out in real time by multiple as it happened.

Torts was focused on benching Frost and making him a target of his scorn.
Ok, how about a guy like Joel Embiid? They do load management with him and he still gets hurt. You can't prevent it no matter what you are doing. Injuries will happen. It's part of the game. If a player says he is fine and the doctors agree what are we managing? That's what I am saying. Crosby has a history of concussions yet he played all 82 games the last two years at 35 and 36 on shitty teams. There's a laundry list of players that get seriously hurt and comeback and play without missing a beat. If there's a reason to hold them out, that's fine. But holding someone out for the sake of holding them out "just in case" is silly, especially if it is only for certain players. If you're going to hold Coots out just in case why not hold Frost out? He's young we don't want him to get too much wear on the tires while the team sucks. I hope Michkov doesn't expect to play all 82 games, he's never done that before so the first few seasons he should work his way up to it just in case!

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Whose common sense? There is a medical team and a player saying the player can play. Wouldn't that be common sense, listening to the doctors and the person? I didn't realize common sense was "I am going to choose not to listen to the player or the doctors." Again, this is different if the medical staff is saying he is able to play but not at full capacity. In that situation yes absolutely you do that. But if not, how is it common sense to ignore what doctors (and the player) are telling you?

Of course there is, and that is what the medical staff and Coots' input is there for. Unless there is something I have missed, neither Coots or the docs wanted to have his minutes or games cut for medical reasons.

Ok, how about a guy like Joel Embiid? They do load management with him and he still gets hurt. You can't prevent it no matter what you are doing. Injuries will happen. It's part of the game. If a player says he is fine and the doctors agree what are we managing? That's what I am saying. Crosby has a history of concussions yet he played all 82 games the last two years at 35 and 36 on shitty teams. There's a laundry list of players that get seriously hurt and comeback and play without missing a beat. If there's a reason to hold them out, that's fine. But holding someone out for the sake of holding them out "just in case" is silly, especially if it is only for certain players. If you're going to hold Coots out just in case why not hold Frost out? He's young we don't want him to get too much wear on the tires while the team sucks. I hope Michkov doesn't expect to play all 82 games, he's never done that before so the first few seasons he should work his way up to it just in case!
they are not ignoring the doctors. No need to go full bore game 1. You disagree. No problem

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

It's not a medical issue with respect to doctors, it's a stamina, fatigue, and conditioning thing. A player is never going to request to play less. Ever. I'm not sure why you aren't grasping this, it's simple

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's not a medical issue with respect to doctors, it's a stamina, fatigue, and conditioning thing. A player is never going to request to play less. Ever. I'm not sure why you aren't grasping this, it's simple
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the team has a medical staff and there is a treating doctor or doctors somewhere regarding Coots' health and physical abilities along with a slew of records that talk about what he can and can't do.

I also find it funny that people were so upset about his healthy scratching but also at the same time you think that he should have been a healthy scratch more often? Healthy scratch if you are worried the player is too frail to play. Healthy scratch bad if the coach is doing it in response to his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad