They're back!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Campbell is as tough as they come. Getting in front of those slap shots seems pretty tough to me. Seidenberg and Boychuk are very tough but I'd not say they are that good at fighting unless its Colby Armstrong;)

What I think some Bruins fans want is someone who for 45 seconds can throw a bleep load of punches and not lose.

I'd rather have a physical tough team that hits and takes the body.

Yes!!!! Thank you for saying what I think better than I could :nod:

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
Good read on 'toughness':

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2014/...n-on-the-puck-are-the-toughest-in-the-hockey/

“Toughness” in hockey is valued to a borderline comical degree, but amongst the majority of hockey people the concept is often misunderstood. It’s not just fans who associate the trait with knuckle-hucking face-punchers, meaning somehow guys like Brian McGrattan have NHL jobs. True hockey toughness, the kind that really matters, is found in the players who are willing to win races to pucks.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Not necessarily but not someone I would mention when trying to show they are tough! I would use Marchand, Campbell, paille, heck even krejci and smith over him for better examples.

I like Marchand, but toughness is not something I associate with him particularly. Nasty, maybe. Annoying. Cheeky. Maybe if he embellished a little less.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I knew even before clicking on it that it was Bourne. He's brilliant.

And, if you think about a guy like Patrice Bergeron, one of hockey’s best play drivers, you’ll note that winning those races to the touch has consequences. When you look at him in playoffs last year - a broken rib, torn cartilage, a separated shoulder, and a pneumothorax – you understand there’s a cost for always having the stones to be the first guy on the puck. You get hit. You get hit, and you get hit, and you get hit. And getting hit hurts. It takes the wind out of you, it saps your energy, and you can get injured. It’s real easy to be the second guy in on a puck race, rattle the glass and get that crowd roaring. Nobody roars for the touch.

If you’re a hockey team that lacks toughness, you shouldn’t be looking to add raw size, or a fighter, or anything of the sort. You need players, no matter their size, who are tough enough to take those hits to make those plays. Hockey games are decided by five or ten plays that often come down to an inch, or a “barely.” The problem is, you rarely know when you’re in one of those moments. So all you can do is be first on the puck over, and over, and over again. The guys who commit to doing that are the league’s toughest players.

Preach, Justin.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I knew even before clicking on it that it was Bourne. He's brilliant.

Preach, Justin.

He`s a great writer, and I agree with him, but there will always be some who`ll never convince themselves that to be considered tough, ya need to be dropping the mitts

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
"Journalism", not something you're about to see on a garbage network like The Score.

BTW looks like Camara suffered a concussion this morning

DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean
Camara stormed off the ice after seemingly getting hit with something up high. Prior to camp, hadn't played since March due to concussion

He's far too reckless with his body. Until he can learn control, he will never reach his full potential.

member 96824

I'm not sure how much "full potential" he had to begin with anyways truthfully...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm not sure how much "full potential" he had to begin with anyways truthfully...
He had enough to earn him serious consideration for a 4th line role.

I fear that his career may very well be in jeopardy with this latest concussion.

member 96824

He had enough to earn him serious consideration for a 4th line role.

I fear that his career may very well be in jeopardy with this latest concussion.

IMO, he's closer to the 4th line in Providence than Boston. I don't think many had him pencilled into their opening night lineups...other than those that were calling for him to be called up against Pittsburgh two years ago of course.

Either way, hope he has a quick recovery.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
"Journalism", not something you're about to see on a garbage network like The Score.

DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean
Camara stormed off the ice after seemingly getting hit with something up high. Prior to camp, hadn't played since March due to concussion

You're actually dumping on a former player and one of the best hockey observers/analysts/writers in North America? Wow.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
IMO, he's closer to the 4th line in Providence than Boston. I don't think many had him pencilled into their opening night lineups...other than those that were calling for him to be called up against Pittsburgh two years ago of course.

Either way, hope he has a quick recovery.
I expected a few games in Boston for him at some point this season but nothing more.

Definitely hope he gets healthy soon

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005

DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean

Did you read it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad