Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
This thought line is a result of fantasy football and video games.

KC and New England have won for years using a tight end as the primary target, and developing lesser prospects into better receivers. Sure, Edelman was a "home run hitter." But he was a 7th round pick who Belichick selected as a special teamer.

KC lost Hill and won 2 Super Bowls without him.

The requirements to win a Super Bowl are: good owner, good GM, good head coach, franchise QB.

IF you have those 4, then you can build the team many different ways and still win a Super Bowl.

I would add "good value" to list of requirements as well.

Travis Kelce, an all-time great tight-end, just reset the market at two years for $34M - only $17M of which is guaranteed. For someone that is effectively ungradable, that's insane value; compared to wide-receivers, it's manageable even when you have a $40M quarterback.

If wide-receivers aren't careful, they're going to price themselves out of a second contract the same way running backs did. GMs figured out they weren't winning championships on the backs of guys like Gurley, and they could get someone right out of the draft capable of performing at a comparable level. The way these wide-receivers are hitting the ground running, I see no reason to ever invest $30M again in that position. Shakir outperforming Davis and Diggs down the stretch last season does nothing to dissuade me, either.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I would add "good value" to list of requirements as well.

Travis Kelce, an all-time great tight-end, just reset the market at two years for $34M - only $17M of which is guaranteed. For someone that is effectively ungradable, that's insane value; compared to wide-receivers, it's manageable even when you have a $40M quarterback.

If wide-receivers aren't careful, they're going to price themselves out of a second contract the same way running backs did. GMs figured out they weren't winning championships on the backs of guys like Gurley, and they could get someone right out of the draft capable of performing at a comparable level. The way these wide-receivers are hitting the ground running, I see no reason to ever invest $30M again in that position. Shakir outperforming Davis and Diggs down the stretch last season does nothing to dissuade me, either.
I think WRs will always get paid. Teams are still showing that investing in high quality veteran WRs while your QB is still on his rookie deal is a path to success.

San Fran invests a lot at WR and their QB is on a rookie deal.

Miami has invested at WR and Tua is close to getting paid.

The Bills did it with the Diggs trade when Josh was on his rookie deal.

WRs will likely have a challenge in getting paid on teams with big money QB1s, though. That's why I'm not buying the dreams of Bills fans and media with regards to trading for Justin Jefferson. I can't see Beane allocating $80M+ AAV to QB1+WR1.

:dunno:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I swear the WR train from WGR has clouded even national pundits. They do not need a 5th round camp body that they hope becomes Davis just to make people feel better about having 2 WR's. It was not a historically deep draft for WR, most of them were second/third rounders who were elevated due to hype and importance of WR position. Worthy is a third rounder who went in the first round because of speed. He is more likely to be Isabella than he is Hill.

People are not properly accounting for a combination of uptick from Shakir/Kincaid and Knox/Cook. Cook is getting fed as a safe out this season. Knox will get extra time out wide if need be, or Kincaid wide with Knox inside.

This team needed a complete reset on D. Any high round pick after the 1st is just bad drafting. Don't let the WR train tell you otherwise. Don't let anyone tell you the trade with Chiefs was bad, that dude was not a first round grade.

Reactions: Pondslider

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I swear the WR train from WGR has clouded even national pundits. They do not need a 5th round camp body that they hope becomes Davis just to make people feel better about having 2 WR's. It was not a historically deep draft for WR, most of them were second/third rounders who were elevated due to hype and importance of WR position. Worthy is a third rounder who went in the first round because of speed. He is more likely to be Isabella than he is Hill.

People are not properly accounting for a combination of uptick from Shakir/Kincaid and Knox/Cook. Cook is getting fed as a safe out this season. Knox will get extra time out wide if need be, or Kincaid wide with Knox inside.

This team needed a complete reset on D. Any high round pick after the 1st is just bad drafting. Don't let the WR train tell you otherwise. Don't let anyone tell you the trade with Chiefs was bad, that dude was not a first round grade.
I really look forward to them relying less on name players at WR. I'm thinking similar to LB last year where people thought without the LB who left Free Agent, I forget his name, that the Bills would be in big trouble, but they ended up being about the same.

For my money Shakir was the most reliable WR by the end of last season. They brought in a few new guys. If they could have a few more Shakirs, I think they are in a better place via a vis where they were at the end of last season at WR.

Maybe it doesn't work, but I'm glad they are trying it...

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

That sucks Kim’s health is still that bad.

Legit Q.

That photo is intended to highlight Lauren Pegula on right, correct?
The woman in the middle - that is not Kim P., that's a woman honored (October maybe) for Breast cancer / general cancer awareness month, right?
I don't see how suffering a heart attack causes (even in low percentage of cases) one to lose one's hair.

Not being an ass, just trying to understand the linkage of the photo (subscription blocked article after 1st few paragraphs).

Best wishes for "recovery", however full and complete or partial and limited that manifests.

My younger brother is/was same age as Kim P. Passed 5 years ago from heart attack 6 weeks shy of 50th B-day. My wife is a four years younger than Kim P. I'd be devastated mentally, emotionally, and eventually physically if she was debilitated so young, but of course would persevere with and for her to the end of either of us, whatever was God's plan.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Legit Q.

The woman in the middle - that is not Kim P., that's a woman honored (October maybe) for Breast cancer / general cancer awareness month, right?
I don't see how suffering a heart attack causes (even in low percentage of cases) one to lose one's hair.

Not being an ass, just trying to understand the linkage of the photo (subscription blocked article after 1st few paragraphs).

Best wishes for "recovery", however full and complete or partial and limited that manifests.

My younger brother is/was same age as Kim P. Passed 5 years ago from heart attack 6 weeks shy of 50th B-day. My wife is a four years younger than Kim P. I'd be devastated mentally, emotionally, and eventually physically if she was debilitated so young, but of course would persevere with and for her to the end of either of us, whatever was God's plan.
i believe its meant to show lauren & terry supporting someone who overcame tragic circumstances, without showing kim in a vulnerable way. condolences for your brother.

Reactions: brian_griffin

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

When Terry and Kim Pegula bought the Bills, he declared the team was in Western New York to stay. He said he would bequeath the Bills and Sabres to his children someday. Given the disparity in their ages — he’s 73, and she’s 54 — the initial succession plan was for Kim to run the teams until their kids were ready to take over.

For years, Bills and Sabres executives assumed the teams would be stewarded into the next generation by Terry and Kim’s oldest child, tennis star Jessica Pegula, and her husband, Taylor Gahagen. Terry Pegula promoted Gahagen to director of corporate development and used to gush about his future within the organization.

Six days before Terry petitioned the court to appoint him Kim’s guardian, Jessica went public about her mother’s condition in a column written for The Players’ Tribune………..

Jessica also wrote about taking over as Bills and Sabres president once her playing career was over: “My mom always wanted me to be involved. She wanted me to learn and eventually do what she was doing.”

Within three months of the column, Gahagen was fired and Laura Pegula was given an equity stake in the Bills. No other member of the Pegula family has commented publicly about Kim’s condition.

Terry, who also serves as CEO and president of the Bills and Sabres, has neither granted an interview nor taken questions at a news conference since naming Kevyn Adams the Sabres’ general manager in June 2020. Terry hasn’t answered Bills-related questions since the March 2019 owners’ meetings.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Legit Q.

It’s just a photo that has Terry and his oldest daughter in it. I don’t think there is any significance beyond that.
From Graham’s article……

Six days before Terry petitioned the court to appoint him Kim’s guardian, Jessica went public about her mother’s condition in a column written for The Players’ Tribune. In the column, Jessica revealed that Kim had gone into cardiac arrest in June 2022 and suffered brain damage from lack of oxygen. Jessica disclosed that her mother suffered from “significant expressive aphasia and significant memory issues.”

“She can read, write, and understand pretty well, but she has trouble finding the words to respond,” Jessica wrote. “It is hard to deal with and it takes a lot of patience to communicate with her, but I thank God every day that we can still communicate with her at all.”

I’m sorry for your loss. That sucks.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Legit Q.

As a bald guy, I am insulted by this take.

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

It was likely the most recent Bills related picture they had with Terry and Laura.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This thought line is a result of fantasy football and video games.

KC and New England have won for years using a tight end as the primary target, and developing lesser prospects into better receivers. Sure, Edelman was a "home run hitter." But he was a 7th round pick who Belichick selected as a special teamer.

KC lost Hill and won 2 Super Bowls without him.

The requirements to win a Super Bowl are: good owner, good GM, good head coach, franchise QB.

IF you have those 4, then you can build the team many different ways and still win a Super Bowl.
Eddie DeBartolo Jr
John McVay
Bill Walsh
Joe Montana

that tracks.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Eddie DeBartolo Jr
John McVay
Bill Walsh
Joe Montana

that tracks.
I have heard that theory of the real core 4 for a quality NFL franchise being those four people before, as well.

About the only team that had consistent success for a time and bucked that trend was when Joe Gibbs won 3 SBs and went to a 4th in a 10 year window with Washington and had 3 different starting QBs (and 3 different RB1s).

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I have heard that theory of the real core 4 for a quality NFL franchise being those four people before, as well.

About the only team that had consistent success for a time and bucked that trend was when Joe Gibbs won 3 SBs and went to a 4th in a 10 year window with Washington and had 3 different starting QBs (and 3 different RB1s).
1982: Theisman was the 1 true franchise QB they had in that run. The lockout helped them with some funky playoff matchups.

1983: crushed by a vet raiders team with a superstar RB

1987: Opportunistic; took advantage of the lockout, then the 'best' team that year (49ers, rank 1 offense, rank 1 defense) got upset by the vikings in the div round. Even in the superbowl, it was just one (admittedly historic) 2nd quarter explosion. Also, Denver's defense of the era was great at folding in the big games.

1991: Best team they ever had. With hindsight, the Bills got so unlucky. Also, again, opportunistic. 49ers were transitioning from Montana to Young. Giants just lost Parcells. Cowboys weren't quite there yet.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
The Cowboys bringing back Zeke and McCarthy tells me they are more concerned about their listed franchise value on Forbes than they are winning meaningful games.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirby11

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Players still available in free agency (used ESPN's list):

CB depth may be an issue, as it is every year. I call this the "anyone but Josh Norman" list:
Steven Nelson (I think he's the best option)
Xavier Howard
Adoree Jackson

Receivers:
DJ Chark (best option)
OBJ

Other options:
Dalton Risner (more interior depth)
Justin Simmons (more safety depth)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad