Movies: They Shall Not Grow Old

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Darn.....
I hoping it would be PJ continuing the story from where we left off in 'Return of the King,' where the Great Elves would depart Middle-Earth and sail across the Western Sea to a land where they could peacefully live out the rest of their immortal lives, never growing old. I mean, they shall not grow old at all, really. With a special guest appearance by Orlando Bloom as Legolas of course.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's a remarkable ambition.

To completely colorize and edit existing WW I footage to give people an actual impression of what that conflict might have been like.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My review...

They Shall Not Grow Old [2018] :

Peter Jackson's documentary shows young men being drafted by, and fighting with, the British Army during World War I. Even though many of the boys are underage, they lie to enlist - like kids trying to be recruited to play the newest video game. They see the war as something new and the killing of Germans as a challenge. Something fun.

Once they get to the front, however, they realize they are in hell. Still, they make the most of their situation, laughing, joking and growing close, all while knowing they could die at any moment.

Most of the 100+ year old footage has been coloured and, at first, it comes as a shock. However, it grows on you and makes the fighting/suffering/death feel more authentic. Add audio and the documentary becomes a captivating/gut wrenching experience.

A quick aside :
Watch the reaction of the soldiers as they stare into the camera - they seem more frightened of the futuristic recording devise than they do of the Germans.

They Shall Not Grow Old is a great documentary!

8.5/10

Movie Trailer :

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've been waiting for this one for a while but I'm going to have to keep waiting till it's a rental.

I watched another documentary with colorized footage (not to this extent), Apocalypse WWI, and now I'm somewhat obsessed with WWI docs.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I've been waiting for this one for a while but I'm going to have to keep waiting till it's a rental.

I watched another documentary with colorized footage (not to this extent), Apocalypse WWI, and now I'm somewhat obsessed with WWI docs.
You'll love Indy Nidell's The Great War youtube channel then. Each episode is roughly 10-15 minutes long recapping what happened that week during the war with a bunch of bonus episodes covering people, places, and events in more detail added here and there.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
It’s really good and has stuck with me for the past week since I’ve seen it. The moment the grainy old footage switches to Color is jaw dropping, really great moment in any documentary I’ve ever seen.

Would like to see this kind of technology applied to a lot of old footage, makes you really realize what was going on more in a visual way than you realized you could. Hard to explain, without just saying people should see it.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It’s really good and has stuck with me for the past week since I’ve seen it. The moment the grainy old footage switches to Color is jaw dropping, really great moment in any documentary I’ve ever seen.

Would like to see this kind of technology applied to a lot of old footage, makes you really realize what was going on more in a visual way than you realized you could. Hard to explain, without just saying people should see it.
It truly gives life to the soldiers. f***, I wish there was film during the civil war, or the Roman days, or the Greek times. So many moments of history that could've been analyzed, viewed, and maybe made a difference in the way humanity perceives things.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm not a fan of colorization usually, but this documentary was very effective. It certainly brought these soldiers' story to life in a very immediate way. Longest lasting impression, though, may not have anything to do with the horrors of war, which I knew going in, but with the horrendous state of dental hygiene in the early decades of the 20th century.

Reactions: NyQuil

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
It was screened again Monday night and I am so glad that I saw it. The 30 minute epilogue is also well worth it and showed just how much care and effort went into the film.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It was screened again Monday night and I am so glad that I saw it. The 30 minute epilogue is also well worth it and showed just how much care and effort went into the film.
I saw it as well. It was awesome. Crazy what those kids went through. One of the soldiers didnt even mind trench warfare. He compared it to camping.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Went and saw this last week, it was interesting and the job they did to colorize it was flat out amazing.

Yeah I saw it in theatres a couple of weeks ago. Really great stuff. It would be amazing if they could do this for even more footage but as outlined in the little post-film documentary, there is so much footage that they had to focus on just one specific thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad