Confirmed with Link: Therrien signed to 4 year extension

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Am I the only one who doesn't like Beaulieu at all? (aside his skating and fighting skills, what does he brings)

Tinordi is slow, but I don't think he was that bad to not play this year. (Starting Allen over him is a ****ing joke)

I would like to see them call up Nygren and give him a real shot. I might be the lonewolf with those thoughts but I think he is the most skilled and promising player in the organization under the big team.

I'm not overly fond on NB, for an offensive defenseman he looks more like a poor man's Brisebois at this point.

However, MT is TERRIBLE at developing players and they have an idiot for a defense coach. Bad combo.

If Tortorella proved anything, it's a bad coach can destroy a team. It's amazing watching the Canucks. A nite and day different team now that the dead weight of the coach has been lifted off every players shoulders

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Best thing MB could do would be to convince Larry Robinson to come back and coach our D.

Nynja*

Beaulieu has never dominated the AHL or even looked like a #1 dman at the AHL level. He's the third best dman there currently.

When your skillset exceeds that of whats around you, it can make you look worse than you are because the plays you're making that those with a better skillset would anticipate coming, those inferior players dont expect it and thus the failures seem to fall upon the instigator.

Hockey is a team sport, not an individual sport.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Well MB just gave an interview where he again said the coach has to be french so we are stuck with the both of them. I don't care for either guy.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
4 more years after this one. His new contract starts next season. :help:

That's just Pejorative Slured. Who signs a coach to a 4 year contract unless that coach has gotten you a cup at least once. Utter nonsense.(and something doesn't smell right.)

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
That's just Pejorative Slured. Who signs a coach to a 4 year contract unless that coach has gotten you a cup at least once. Utter nonsense.(and something doesn't smell right.)
Most of the board was complacent with the extension because we had just come off a deep playoff run.

Now that the chickens are coming home to roost we can see that Bergevin isn't entirely without blame here either - the Subban contract fiasco, extending Emelin and Desharnais (and Bouillon) hastily, dealing Gorges only to have to replace him with Allen, and now, extending his buddy Michel Therrien for 4+1 years. Unheard of.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Most of the board was complacent with the extension because we had just come off a deep playoff run.

Now that the chickens are coming home to roost we can see that Bergevin isn't entirely without blame here either - the Subban contract fiasco, extending Emelin and Desharnais (and Bouillon) hastily, dealing Gorges only to have to replace him with Allen, and now, extending his buddy Michel Therrien for 4+1 years. Unheard of.

For all the blame Therrien takes (and he deserves a lot), Bergevin has made a lot of questionable moves a well. But at least, he makes up for it with good moves every once in a while.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

Almost as if he were a rookie GM...

:sarcasm:

With that said, and as much as I am an MB fan, I don't pardon him from the giant mistake of signing Therrien for four more years. That is just nonsensical, and IMO the worst of all moves MB has made thus far.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

With that said, and as much as I am an MB fan, I don't pardon him from the giant mistake of signing Therrien for four more years. That is just nonsensical, and IMO the worst of all moves MB has made thus far.

Fairly standard move given the circumstances. What contract status would you have for a coach that is behind the bench on an ECF team?

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

What bugs me the most about the extension, is what was it for? Why give him an extension on one of the highest paid coaches, did MB think someone was going to poach him out of Montreal?

Absolutely the biggest mistake monetary wise. But no big deal, Molson will raise ticket prices when hes paying two coaches top dollar for the next 4 years...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
For all the blame Therrien takes (and he deserves a lot), Bergevin has made a lot of questionable moves a well. But at least, he makes up for it with good moves every once in a while.
His good moves are minor at best. His biggest moves were Therrien (x2) and the Subban fiasco. We can't call Therrien an abject failure because of "the record" but he's not serving the team's development well. Neither is Lefebvre in Hamilton.

Shedding Moen and Bork are fine, but what has Bergevin done to enhance the core? Jim Nill in Dallas got Spezza and Seguin in a span of 12 months, meanwhile we have a much bigger budget and a better prospect pool and still have DD on the 1st line.

His moves were arrogant and short-sighted.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Fairly standard move given the circumstances. What contract status would you have for a coach that is behind the bench on an ECF team?

Extend him 2 years on a bumper, making it 3 years. 1 year left + 4 more is unheard of.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Who cares how many more years. He's not a player and its not a cap hit. It's money that comes out of Molsons pocket, not yours. I have no doubt that if the have to fire MT, they won't hesitate. Molson is a win first owner.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Who cares how many more years. He's not a player and its not a cap hit. It's money that comes out of Molsons pocket, not yours. I have no doubt that if the have to fire MT, they won't hesitate. Molson is a win first owner.

You serious, the money comes out of Molsons pocket, and not ours (the fans)?

Where can I get free merchandise and tickets please?!

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

I think a 2 year extension would have been somewhat more justified based only on the record. That secures Therrien for at least three more years at the time of the contract extension. Signing a four year extension commits you to having Therrien around for at least five more years. Anybody who pays any attention to the Montreal Canadiens can tell you that there is no rational way Therrien lasts another five years here, let alone three.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
You people act like lenght of contract for a coach means anything. He can be fired anyday and it's not like the Habs can't afford to pay two coaches at the same time.

Resigning him was a formality, as coaches rarely coach when there's only one year left of their contract. On top of my head, only babcock this year comes to mind.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Well MB just gave an interview where he again said the coach has to be french so we are stuck with the both of them. I don't care for either guy.

Well that's a problem. It is pandering to the media moreso than the fanbase. These guys get their shirt in a knot when, I imagine, most of the them can understand what an English speaking coach is saying at a press conference.

Personally I am all for a coach who can speak French if he is the right guy for the job but to take a guy who can speak French and try to mold him into an NHL coach is just backwards.

It just seems so myopic to cut 80% of the coaching population out of the running. With that approach the team is now stuck with Therrien who is stuck somewhere in the past.

This is the Achilles heel of the Canadiens.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Shedding Moen and Bork are fine, but what has Bergevin done to enhance the core? Jim Nill in Dallas got Spezza and Seguin in a span of 12 months, meanwhile we have a much bigger budget and a better prospect pool and still have DD on the 1st line.

His moves were arrogant and short-sighted.

I don't think comparing MB's moves to Jim Nill's moves are entirely fair. Spezza and Seguin were players who were already being publically shopped by their respective teams at the time. Nill was dealing from a good position as he had equal leverage with both Brian Murray and Peter Chiarelli, as both GM's basically made it public that neither of these players would be returning.

There's really no possible way that Bergevin could have made a fair deal with either Murray or Chiarelli. Not only are all three of these teams in the same conference, they are all division rivals. If Bergevin wanted Spezza or Chiarelli he would have had to cripple the franchise in order to bring them here. It just wasn't possible.

Its not an easy thing to do to bring in a core player from another team. Nill was able to do this because his team was in the western conference and the players he went after were being shopped by non rival teams. The bottom line is, If Jim Nill was the general manager of the Montreal Canadiens instead of the Dallas Stars, there is no realistic way in which he makes those deals.

Now let me ask you, which established core players are A) in the western conference, and b) being actively shopped? Now, which of these players would you seriously consider acquiring? And finally, which assets would you be prepared to part with in order to acquire these players?

As for Bergevin's arrogant and short sighted moves, I will have to disagree with you again on this one. Bergevin signed Desharnais to a contract extension in his first year as General Manager. At the time of the extension DD had clicked very well with Pacioretty and Cole and most fans were pleased with his performance thus far. DD was coming off of an impressive AHL season with the bulldogs, a rookie season that seen him put up a ppg of 0.512, and a 60 point season to follow. MB didn't want to risk D having another dynamite season and then demanding 5+ million per.

Now, Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but back then it looked like Bergevin was trying to get in front of the 8-ball by signing DD to a shorter cap hit mid season, as Bergevin most likely predicted DD would continue his positive development. As much as I hate DD, I have to say that the extension wasn't completely morbid. There was sound reasoning behind it. MB took a gamble in his rookie year, and only by looking back now we can agree that he lost. This was an example of Bergevin attempting to practice long term vision, not making a short sighted move.

If you want me to go on about the reasoning behind the other moves you mentioned, I can. I'm not saying these moves were the right ones, or even the most logical ones, but they definitely had reasoning behind them. Most of which can be attributed to the salary cap and attempting to put the club in a good cap position. It's easy to sit here today and practice hindsight in order to criticise these moves, but at the time they were nowhere near as unheard-of, short-sighted, and arrogant as you claim.

Nonetheless I'm sure we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad