Therrien - Off To a Great Start Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I love how the same defenders are actually trying to argue we're playing the same system. :biglaugh:
''We're playing the same way, it's the players that are different'', okay. So the difference in the roster makes us play...the same? or differently? Ah right, so we are playing differently.
It's funny because we seem to be playing more like we did in the POs last year vs TB and people were saying how we changed then, but now it's the same?..
Make up your damn mind.

It's pretty damn obvious we're playing differently. So Therrien says we're playing almost the same, ya, sure, telling your players to keep the puck more than bank it off the boards and letting your Dmen join the rush every shift, aren't a complete overhaul. But they are changes that will significantly impact the team. Not to mention finally putting the players in their rightful spot. Those are little tweaks that speak volume.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I love how the same defenders are actually trying to argue we're playing the same system. :biglaugh:
''We're playing the same way, it's the players that are different'', okay. So the difference in the roster makes us play...the same? or differently? Ah right, so we are playing differently.
It's funny because we seem to be playing more like we did in the POs last year vs TB and people were saying how we changed then, but now it's the same?..
Make up your damn mind.

It's pretty damn obvious we're playing differently. So Therrien says we're playing almost the same, ya, sure, telling your players to keep the puck more than bank it off the boards and letting your Dmen join the rush every shift, aren't a complete overhaul. But they are changes that will significantly impact the team. Not to mention finally putting the players in their rightful spot. Those are little tweaks that speak volume.

Moreover, that situation did not right itself. This has the footprints of Bergevin and some of his recent hires of last summer. On the LaPresse blog of Mathias Brunet, I recall one of the posters suggesting that it was the unwelcome question of Cantin at the post-playoffs press conference that got the GM thinking that the coaching approach needed to be tweaked. It is not inconceivable, and certain supports the effect of those hires. Therrien has some qualities, but the ability to make these changes by himself isn't one of them; as I like to say now and then, MT has the agility of an aircraft carrier.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Moreover, that situation did not right itself. This has the footprints of Bergevin and some of his recent hires of last summer. On the LaPresse blog of Mathias Brunet, I recall one of the posters suggesting that it was the unwelcome question of Cantin at the post-playoffs press conference that got the GM thinking that the coaching approach needed to be tweaked. It is not inconceivable, and certain supports the effect of those hires. Therrien has some qualities, but the ability to make these changes by himself isn't one of them; as I like to say now and then, MT has the agility of an aircraft carrier.

Well, I can't say it's because of Cantin, but it's clear the Habs felt they needed to make some changes. I agree that I don't think it's all coming from Therrien, and they always say everyone is involved in discussions and changes as they truly work as a team.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
What's the most impressive thing, is it's impossible to give any credit to MT. He cannot do good since he is the worst in the world...

NewHabsEra*

Make up your damn mind.

Do you realize Weise and Desharnais were both playing in the top 6 last year?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What's the most impressive thing, is it's impossible to give any credit to MT. He cannot do good since he is the worst in the world...
???

People have said he's done a great job. He's the early favourite for the Jack Adams and that sentiment is well deserved at this point.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
???

People have said he's done a great job. He's the early favourite for the Jack Adams and that sentiment is well deserved at this point.

Comeone LG, we are one of the poster that love MT the most. I was talking about others... some rare case...

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
We actually nvr got to OT so far. Watching Tampa - Nashville right now I hope we'll never get to OT. 3v3 scares the shit outta me.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
This type of winning makes MT deserve praise. Team in front of Price actually playing like a top end team rather than having him rob every win while players hold on for dear life.

Habs look like they are making a conscious effort to get pucks to the net. They are also a lot more aggressive with the lead.

The 4 line rolling could keep the team fresher in the late stages of games and season. DSP and Mitchell developing good chemistry while being able to matchup against good lines. He's not overplaying anyone yet...even Markov getting reasonable icetime

Powerplay is still a stagnant and predictable joke...if by miracle they fix this teams will be a bit less reckless.

Last edited:

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
We never allow more then 2 goals, never did less then 3 goals... that ridiculously good :) so no OT... no 3 vs 3... case yes, it's not good for my health

Davebo*

We never allow more then 2 goals, never did less then 3 goals... that ridiculously good :) so no OT... no 3 vs 3... case yes, it's not good for my health

+16 goal differential - in 7 games. Next nearest team is +7

Insane start to any season. Funstuff... :nod:

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Blues fan, here in peace. We don't really have much of a rivalry with Montreal. Good game, I thought we had lots of good chances, but Price made sure we didn't capitalize. Not disappointed, we had a good road trip through Canada, but ran into probably the hottest goalie in the NHL. Good game.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Blues fan, here in peace. We don't really have much of a rivalry with Montreal. Good game, I thought we had lots of good chances, but Price made sure we didn't capitalize. Not disappointed, we had a good road trip through Canada, but ran into probably the hottest goalie in the NHL. Good game.

you guys out played in the first for sure, thanks to Price for that but we pretty much dominated after that, so wouldn't necessarily say it was the goaltender that won us the game as you kinda are implying.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Gotta give credit when it's due. Solid work by Therrien so far.

Wouldn't mine seeing Byron soon, he might do better than Flynn. But our 4th line is so good so far, it's pretty much impossible to bench any of those guys.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Therrien has out-coached most of the coaches the Habs have played against this season. There, I said it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Do you realize Weise and Desharnais were both playing in the top 6 last year?

Yes, by Therrien's choice.
Could last year's top 6 not have been:
Pacioretty-Plek-Gallagher/PAP
Eller-Galchenyuk-PAP/Gallagher

Oh right, it could have. Doesn't mean we would have started 7-0-0, but the majority of our players were here.
That was last year though, this year Therrien deserves all the props you want.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Whatever happened this offseason, thank God it happened.

Finally fun to watch the Habs again and MT deserves some praise.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Ya, I bashed MT as much as anyone last season, I didn't like what he was doing at all, but I'll fully give him credit this year. This team is not winning "despite the coach". This team looks well coached, adapts during games, and is playing both a very solid defense (ofc Price helps) and a very decent well-rounded offense. I even like how he uses DD (and he proved me wrong there cause I was thinking at this point that DD would be used as first C until Bergevin just traded him away).

Only thing that's still pretty annoying is the PP, but I won't hold MT responsible for that. And we hit like 3-4 posts during PPs, could be a totally different story already, so we'll give it some time.

Undefeated, first in GF, first in GA, AND fun to watch. You just can't ask for more right now.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Other than the 4th line, there is little dump and chase. Controlled zone entries and the team is flying. Can't complain about anything other than the PP of course.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
I read somewhere that we had 3 or 4 controlled entires in the 1st, and that number jumped up to the 20s in the 2nd period.

"Adjustments" in da system.

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec
Therrien did something the fan doesn't care about, he built a team with spirit. They are tight, they love each other, they know what they have to do.

He's obvliously not the smartest and the best technician but he could be the best motivator in the game. Nobody can say what would be this team with another coach that run the game like the fans wish Terrien were. Maybe Ramsay made this team better, I'm not a pro, I don't know, but the only thing I know, I see a team still happy to play for Therrien after a couple years and that's an archivement.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Make up your damn mind.

I think Therrien is just choosing his words carefully. He wants them "playing the same way" as in playing hard, going after the puck and being responsible defensively. He doesn't want to divulge details of his system at all and just prefers to be closemouthed.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Therrien did something the fan doesn't care about, he built a team with spirit. They are tight, they love each other, they know what they have to do.

He's obvliously not the smartest and the best technician but he could be the best motivator in the game. Nobody can say what would be this team with another coach that run the game like the fans wish Terrien were. Maybe Ramsay made this team better, I'm not a pro, I don't know, but the only thing I know, I see a team still happy to play for Therrien after a couple years and that's an archivement.

This is a fair assessment, and it's what makes me temper my criticism of the coach. MB skillfully gave him a support team that nudged him towards a more productive approach, rather than get rid of him in favor of a technician who might not get comparable buy-in from the players. MT, being a team player, gave in a little, which is the mark of maturity. The old Therrien might not have given in, but MT 2.0 seems to be amenable to consensus-building.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I think the Habs had a decent start, but the Blues quickly took over. That first goal hurt the Blues, but they kept creating chances. They were robbed of a couple goals, I think. Eventually, the Blues just grew tired as the game wore on. Great game though, it was a close one overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad