Theres a guy in the KHL named Vyacheslav Gretsky and he wears #99

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Heh you learn something new. Came in here to joke about the KHL guy and found out the Great One was Belarussian when I thought he was Ukranian

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
also don't forget about this Gretkzy dude
wayne.jpg
Who is dis????

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
If the three players in the photo above are linemates, are they the line with the highest sum of jersey numbers ever? (218)
I know Pearson / Toffoli / Carter were 220. There have been others I'm sure, lots of high digits now.

I bet Tampa has potentially the highest collective starting 6
Stamkos (91) / Kucherov (86) / Point (21)
Hedman (77) / Sergachev (98)
Vasilevskiy (88)
Or put Corelli (71) at C...

Russo Turisto

West Coast User
Nov 26, 2011
USA
Gretzky is mostly Belorussian (ethnically). However, his family came to Canada from the Russian Empire and I think his father considers himself mostly Russian (based on some of his interviews). I think you can say that probably #99 is of Belorussian, Russian and Polish descent which is somewhat typical for people in that area. My grandma was Belorussian and she spoke all three languages + some Yiddish.

Reactions: Sentinel

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
If the three players in the photo above are linemates, are they the line with the highest sum of jersey numbers ever? (218)

I was planning to use this idea for a thread topic in the offseason. It's prime Summer material. "Highest sum of jersey numbers on the same line." I can see the sarcastic responses already.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
That's awesome. Paying homage and using his name to his advantage. I like it.

He'll be pretty sad if he makes the NHL though ...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Gretzky is a Russian / Belorussian name. Wayne Gretzky grandfather was from Belorussia. So Wayne himself is a partially Russian.

The name Belorussia means White Russia. It has nothing to do with people skin color. There is a lot of theories about the origin of the name. Most likely it was a religious division between christian and pagan parts of Russia. Christian part got a name "white", while pagan part named "dark". Christianity was stronger in the west, so western lands become known as White Russia. At the end Christianity won, so only White Russia name survived and transferred to the modern day country of Belarus.

Belarus (Беларусь) corresponds with Ruthenia (Русь), not Russia (Россия). The now obsolete form Belorussia is a neologism from the Russian imperial era that was meant to justify the annexation of the area.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Gretzky is a Russian / Belorussian name. Wayne Gretzky grandfather was from Belorussia. So Wayne himself is a partially Russian.

The name Belorussia means White Russia. It has nothing to do with people skin color. There is a lot of theories about the origin of the name. Most likely it was a religious division between christian and pagan parts of Russia. Christian part got a name "white", while pagan part named "dark". Christianity was stronger in the west, so western lands become known as White Russia. At the end Christianity won, so only White Russia name survived and transferred to the modern day country of Belarus.

The "colors" represented something like a "compass".
So a Red Russia - "русь червлена" was just South Rus
White - "west" Rus
And so on.
It has nothing to do with religion or paganism.
Also current modern "Russia" is a descendant of a tatar-mongol Golden Horde khaganate, so of course its original name "didn't survive".

And on topic - there is nothing "russian" in Wayne Gretzky or his ancestors. His grandfather was born on the territory of Polish-Lithuanian kingdom which is currently Belarus.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
White - "west" Rus
And so on.
Also current modern "Russia" is a descendant of a tatar-mongol Golden Horde khaganate, so of course its original name "didn't survive".

And on topic - there is nothing "russian" in Wayne Gretzky or his ancestors. His grandfather was born on the territory of Polish-Lithuanian kingdom which is currently Belarus.
Just for curiosity, when was Wayne´s grandfather born? Because the Polish-Lithuanian Kingdom ceased to exist in the late 18th century when the region was partitioned among its neighbours - the Habsburg´s Austria, the Russian Empire and the Kingdom of Prussia.

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

You know that it's possible for somebody of a certain nationality or ethnicity to be born in another territory, right? Or that territories can change hands quite easily?

My very own ancestors were ethnic Germans, who settled in what was at the time Tsarist Russia. By the time they emigrated to Canada, that same place was a Hapsburg Austrian territory. Today, it's Ukraine.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
White - "west" Rus
And so on.

Wasnt tatar-mongol traded to vegas for a 1st-2nd -3rd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad