There's a buzz around this team

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
So based on your response, perhaps it would have been better to say there was a buzz last night because of the event and the fact they won. Beyond that there is no buzz around this team, besides the handful of posters here over excited about a good start to the season. Which I stated was understandable based on the teams track record.

I don't have a penchant to argue, I do have a penchant for reality. Are people, as a collective whole, more excited about this year? I don't know, define the collective whole. Are you referring to the general public? Just Islander fans? Hockey fans in general? The media?

Like I said in my OP, if they go 1-4 in their next 5 games, come back to me about the "buzz' surrounding this team.

I'd say there's buzz around this team throughout the media and general hockey fans. They had easily the best offseason (maybe save for the Kings basically doing nothing), sold their team from one of the worst owners in sports, and are moving from the arena that held one of the greatest dynasties in sports. If you think there isn't buzz, I think that you are just being difficult. Especially since you need to stick SO hard to 'reality'.

The problem, as I see it, is you are equating this buzz with the expectations that we are going to be good and either can't separate the two, or are refusing to for some reason. We are all being reserved right now because 2 games doesn't make a season. I still don't even know if we are a playoff team. We will see though. But I'm not going to be obtuse and pretend that the biggest offseason this team has seen in decades didn't happen and isn't causing excitement, whether it is justified or not (which isn't the discussion we are having).

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Wait this makes no sense...I thought there was no fan base. I thought long island could never support a franchise. You mean all this time all they had to do was put a little money in to the team and win a few games??? I wish someone thought of this earlier.

THIS x1000000

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
There's so much buzz they aren't even scheduled for 1 national TV game!! LOL

To be fair, this is why they should adopt what the NFL does with Sunday Night Football. Put the most intriguing game of the week on the national spot, which can deviate from the preseason assumptions rather widely.

Even if we are just competing for 8th in the last games of the season at NVMC, it would be rather silly for the NHL to not get some coverage on that. It will be LOUD.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
There's so much buzz they aren't even scheduled for 1 national TV game!! LOL

I'm not talking about national respect. I'm talking about the excitement level of the local Islander fans. The excitement level among the casual and diehards is at a much higher level this year than any of the past 7.

Even the supposed "realists" on this board can see that:shakehead

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
damn talk about buzz kill...lol.....sheesh , allow the guy to enjoy our two wins .....seeing boychuck wind up and actually hit the net is creating a buzz for all of us ......is he our new Adrian Aucoin!!??? Lets go !!!!!

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
Wait this makes no sense...I thought there was no fan base. I thought long island could never support a franchise. You mean all this time all they had to do was put a little money in to the team and win a few games??? I wish someone thought of this earlier.

THIS x1000000

Slow down there guys. They sold out ONE game... the home opener which sells out every year. Doesn't quite make up for the past two decades and unless I'm mistaken they usually start the year off strong. Let's wait and see how they do against San Jose, Dallas, the leafs, and Winnipeg before making any judgements.

Edit: just picked up some $17 100 section tickets for the Winnipeg game. The dream lives on!

Last edited:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Wait, you mean if the county and town didn't screw the whole thing up, there would have been more money to spend on players?

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
I'm not talking about national respect. I'm talking about the excitement level of the local Islander fans. The excitement level among the casual and diehards is at a much higher level this year than any of the past 7.

Even the supposed "realists" on this board can see that:shakehead
By "realists" I assume you mean the small contingent of rainclouds here that have mostly resorted to whining and threadcrapping since the team announced its move to Brooklyn. My advice is to pretend they don't exist.

As for the buzz around this team, it has little to do with two wins over a gimped Carolina team and more to do with the fact that they're finally making moves an NHL team that's trying to win would make. The days of Nabokovs and Reasoners and AMacs are over and we're seeing roster holes filled with guys like Halak and Boychuk and Grabovski instead. Even if they're not Cup contenders, they're finally doing things the right way and people are noticing.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Might have to hit the game vs the Leafs with my son! Get em while you can!!!

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Let's see how awake the fan base will be on Thursday night.

Wanna have an over/under on the attendance for the Sharks on Thursday? Set the line at 11,000.

I really think, Jets playing away at the Pats on Thursday night is going to impact attendance for this game, I think next tuesday will be a better gauge.. I know the season ticket holders behind me are not going and I had trouble getting someone to take 2 of my 4 seats for Isles as well because of Thursday night football Jet game. Yes the Jets are horrible but it is Jets/Pats. They play 16 games a year relative to 82 hockey and football gets the highest tv ratings of any sport. I am going to just DVR football which I hate to do but psyched about hockey season…

Last edited:

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
And if they lose the next three in a row the sky will be falling.

While the first two games were a nice start, there are 80 to go. How about we wait until 15 or 20 games in before we start talking about a "buzz" or comparing them to other teams.

Agreed.

Let's not forget, the PK is awful, the 3rd D pairing is suspect and the 3rd period opponents goals seem to still be around.

NYR, PIT and some Western powerhouses coming up before the trip out west.

Lets check back on 12/1/14.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Im excited about this season but we need some of us to stop going full (edit) on the main boards.

(Edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

MaryChristine*

I'm pretty sure they tried to throw money at several players. The problem wasn't always the money.. No one wanted to play for Wang and Snow.
This is just us getting really really lucky. I like it.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
#islestwitter is super active recently too. People are paying attention to this team in higher numbers than recent years, no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad