There's a buzz around this team

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
I know it's just the start of the season, but I don't think there's been a buzz around an Islanders team like this since the start of the 2001-2002 season. You could feel it last night in the Coli, but you could feel it moreso in the parking lots and from talking to other fans over the past week. People know we've seriously upgraded the talent level in the places we needed it most. Guys who I haven't spoken to about this team in years are already asking to pick up tickets for games this year. Not gonna lie...I like it.

2-0 start is a great way to keep the momentum building.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I know it's just the start of the season, but I don't think there's been a buzz around an Islanders team like this since the start of the 2001-2002 season. You could feel it last night in the Coli, but you could feel it moreso in the parking lots and from talking to other fans over the past week. People know we've seriously upgraded the talent level in the places we needed it most. Guys who I haven't spoken to about this team in years are already asking to pick up tickets for games this year. Not gonna lie...I like it.

First time since 2007 this team starts the season 2-0. That was a good year.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Good comparison to 2001-2002. It has the same feel. There are some similarities in that we added 2 goalies that year in Osgood and Snow. Also there was a one-two punch at the center position in Yashin and Peca similar to the acquisitions on D with Boychuk and Leddy. Looking forward to this year.

rollin109

Jun 21, 2007
Agreed. The moves Garth made and it being the final season in Nassau has woken up the fan base.

Wait this makes no sense...I thought there was no fan base. I thought long island could never support a franchise. You mean all this time all they had to do was put a little money in to the team and win a few games??? I wish someone thought of this earlier.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Agreed. The moves Garth made and it being the final season in Nassau has woken up the fan base.

Let's see how awake the fan base will be on Thursday night.

Wanna have an over/under on the attendance for the Sharks on Thursday? Set the line at 11,000.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Good comparison to 2001-2002. It has the same feel. There are some similarities in that we added 2 goalies that year in Osgood and Snow. Also there was a one-two punch at the center position in Yashin and Peca similar to the acquisitions on D with Boychuk and Leddy. Looking forward to this year.

The one difference between 01-02 and today is that now we have a solid core of players already in place.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Wait this makes no sense...I thought there was no fan base. I thought long island could never support a franchise. You mean all this time all they had to do was put a little money in to the team and win a few games??? I wish someone thought of this earlier.

Funny how those things work. :sarcasm:

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Yeah it's great, the atmosphere at the coliseum last night reminded me of how it was during the playoffs against Pittsburgh. I'm pumped. Almost broke my arm high-fiving some some randoms through the car window on the way in.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I have to agree; this team looks, and feels totally different than it has in years past. It reminds me of how they looked during the lockout season; this team looks better than that team, and more dangerous.

they were trending up after that lockout season, and i feel that last year was an anomaly in that upward trajectory.

I can say this with very strong conviction-- this team is going to surprise A LOT of people this year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-surprise-stanley-cup-contenders-this-season ............someone more optimistic than most.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Let's see how awake the fan base will be on Thursday night.

Wanna have an over/under on the attendance for the Sharks on Thursday? Set the line at 11,000.

You don't have to be at a game for their to be buzz. Let's not also forget a good bunch of Isles Country does not live in Nassau.

Take Twitter for example, I've never seen the hashtag #Isles be so busy.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You don't have to be at a game for their to be buzz. Let's not also forget a good bunch of Isles Country does not live in Nassau.

Take Twitter for example, I've never seen the hashtag #Isles be so busy.

True. I'm not on Twitter and don't really pay any mind to trending topics. I want to see people in the stands and their ratings on MSG go up. An indicator that they've created a buzz here at home.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
True. I'm not on Twitter and don't really pay any mind to trending topics. I want to see people in the stands and their ratings on MSG go up. An indicator that they've created a buzz here at home.

The ratings went up last year pretty significantly...we're outdrawing the Devils on MSG. I'd suspect that we get very good ratings if we have a good season this year too.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don't want to get TOO excited yet. The Isles beat a team missing 2 key players, and they aren't a great team with those 2 guys in there. A team like the Rangers, and even the Sharks, would have taken advantage of the 3rd period collapses we had in both games. Need the defense, goaltending and PK to be much better to have a chance to beat either team. Also Lundquvist and both San Jose goalies will play better than the Carolina duo (though I think highly of Khudobin).

Very happy with the start, but let's see if they can run with the big dogs this week, should be fun.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
And if they lose the next three in a row the sky will be falling.

While the first two games were a nice start, there are 80 to go. How about we wait until 15 or 20 games in before we start talking about a "buzz" or comparing them to other teams.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
I don't want to get TOO excited yet. The Isles beat a team missing 2 key players, and they aren't a great team with those 2 guys in there. A team like the Rangers, and even the Sharks, would have taken advantage of the 3rd period collapses we had in both games. Need the defense, goaltending and PK to be much better to have a chance to beat either team. Also Lundquvist and both San Jose goalies will play better than the Carolina duo (though I think highly of Khudobin).

Very happy with the start, but let's see if they can run with the big dogs this week, should be fun.

Perfect analysis.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
And if they lose the next three in a row the sky will be falling.

While the first two games were a nice start, there are 80 to go. How about we wait until 15 or 20 games in before we start talking about a "buzz" or comparing them to other teams.

Would you not agree that there is more of a buzz of excitement around the team this year? That can be stated with no connection to how well the team will do. There is a buzz because it is the last year at NVMC and we had a good offseason. Claiming that we don't know if we will be good or not is a fair argument, but refuting that there is more buzz around this team right now seems silly to me.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Would you not agree that there is more of a buzz of excitement around the team this year? That can be stated with no connection to how well the team will do. There is a buzz because it is the last year at NVMC and we had a good offseason. Claiming that we don't know if we will be good or not is a fair argument, but refuting that there is more buzz around this team right now seems silly to me.

A buzz with whom besides the diehards? Yes, there was a buzz around last night because of the event not he team. Had they lost it'd be a different story. Hell, there was a "buzz" around at the start of last year due to what they did in the playoffs the year before. How'd that work out?

People are just drunk on a few good games against a so so team. Understandable when you look at the track record, but a buzz, hardly.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
A buzz with whom besides the diehards? Yes, there was a buzz around last night because of the event not he team. Had they lost it'd be a different story. Hell, there was a "buzz" around at the start of last year due to what they did in the playoffs the year before. How'd that work out?

People are just drunk on a few good games against a so so team. Understandable when you look at the track record, but a buzz, hardly.

Well, they DID win though. Hence the buzz. So, you are saying there was a buzz but it isn't justified? There's still a buzz then. Are you trying to argue that people, as a collective whole, aren't more excited about this year, for whatever reason? Because, it is hard to look past your penchant for arguing with everyone.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Well, they DID win though. Hence the buzz. So, you are saying there was a buzz but it isn't justified? There's still a buzz then. Are you trying to argue that people, as a collective whole, aren't more excited about this year, for whatever reason? Because, it is hard to look past your penchant for arguing with everyone.

So based on your response, perhaps it would have been better to say there was a buzz last night because of the event and the fact they won. Beyond that there is no buzz around this team, besides the handful of posters here over excited about a good start to the season. Which I stated was understandable based on the teams track record.

I don't have a penchant to argue, I do have a penchant for reality. Are people, as a collective whole, more excited about this year? I don't know, define the collective whole. Are you referring to the general public? Just Islander fans? Hockey fans in general? The media?

Like I said in my OP, if they go 1-4 in their next 5 games, come back to me about the "buzz' surrounding this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad