GDT: There Will Be Blood: Devils @ Oilers 4pm MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Given Holtz is clearly playing a much higher pace then probably any time in his life, fatigue could be a concern at some point, and would make sense on a back to back.
Ya know, I went and looked at the game stats. Holtz had a strong game. 76% Corsi. 0-0 goals. 1 sog, 3 attempts.

He did split time line wise, put up good numbers with Jack. But pitched a shut out with Mercer. 8-0 corsi. 2-0 shots. So maybe that pairing has something?

Mercer also had a strong individual game. 3 sog's, led the team, 4 attempts.

McLeod got the McDavid matchup more often then not. 11:30 toi 5v5. 6:04 vs McDavid.

Holy Mackerel.

5-1 vs McDavid too.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We need to know what’s up with Timo. I don’t even think of him as a contributor to this team never mind a weapon. He’s just there, periods go by and I’m like oh yeah I forgot we have this guy.
It's not like he's playing well and just struggling to produce either like was the case a bit last season, he's been a total passenger.

Reactions: JK3

Camille the Eel

We played a darn good first period here tonight and didn’t finish some good looks early and then our power play sputtered. The game turned on our weak second power play when we didn’t get a shot. Their opening goal followed forthwith.

What I see happening is other teams getting physical with Jack and Luke up top, and bumping them off of pucks during the penalty kill. Plus Jack not getting his shot through when he moves along the boards towards the net on the left side. A lot of shots getting blocked.

We’ve become rather predictable in running the power play through the Hughes’s up there. Need to change things up or make them pay for overplaying Jack. Maybe Luke can take it to the net, straight down the middle?

Anyway I feel like the two failed first period power plays may have cost us the game. Or very much changed it. We had the chance to take the lead there.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Schmid made some really big stops but that 3rd goal really took them out of the game for good. You would of thought he would use more caution playing the puck after the first disallowed goal. It took the team too long to get a goal. Huhhes going pointless in 3 games kind of sucks but he generated some offense over those 3 games even though he didn't have any points. I'll take 3 out of 4 wins but I thought we were going to play better than we did today heading into this. The Oilers are hot though and are looking like the team of the last few years. They will flop if they make the playoffs , that's a given.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I did my best folks. I hope the next GDT creator carries on the good vibes. Until next time
IMG_2329.gif

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Captain obvious comment but Dougie would've been so helpful in this game as a PPQB, B2B and could've let Luke focus 5v5 with shadowing McDavid like they made him do today. They're starting to miss his shot from the backend a bit since teams are playing Jack a little tighter to defend the PP and no option to move Luke off the PP since it's cooling down a bit after the super hot start

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
All teams are giving up leads. Its just so much parody and talent in this league. Its not just us. But, that seemed to be a wake up call and the last 3 games were clearly focused on playing a more responsible gm. Now, it came to the expense of some offense, so they have to find a good middle ground. It is early early early in the season

It’s not like we’ve blown a lot of big leads this season, the problem was we weren’t getting them.

Teams can lose in all sorts of ugly ways and it’s not the end of the world.

Hell, look at the Edmonton this year, the Oiler haters on the main board were dancing on their grave and now the team people expected in preseason has shown up.

Last season Habs fans spent months gloating about how they were getting a lottery pick with the 2023 Florida 1st. Whoops.

It’s not like I’m particularly optimistic about this particular season* but there are always ebbs and flows to every season. “We’re not a playoff team” crying after every loss is a bit silly to me.

And if anyone thinks that over-sharing bitter negativity means that they get to claim they’re right whenever things go wrong… nope. That’s just your factory setting, you win no points for it.

*Note: I’m never particularly optimistic about anything ever lol.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Captain obvious comment but Dougie would've been so helpful in this game as a PPQB, B2B and could've let Luke focus 5v5 with shadowing McDavid like they made him do today. They're starting to miss his shot from the backend a bit since teams are playing Jack a little tighter to defend the PP and no option to move Luke off the PP since it's cooling down a bit after the super hot start

“We’re better off without Dougie” was bad take.

Bahl/Marino as our shutdown pair doesn’t seem like something we can do all season but what do I know.

IMG_0654.jpeg

Vs
2022-23
IMG_0655.jpeg

ICE TIMES
IMG_0656.png

Vs
2022-23
IMG_0657.png

Quality of Teammates & Competition
IMG_0660.png

2022-23
IMG_0661.png

DEFENDER COMBINATIONS
IMG_0658.png

Vs
2022-23
IMG_0659.png

As side note, I enjoyed this icing chart.
LOL Tierney
IMG_0662.png

Vs
2022-23
(No one is as nearly as bad Tierney so the y-axis is quite different here.)
IMG_0664.png

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Another crazy Idea, move Bratt or L.Hughes to PP2.

There aren’t any good puck carriers/passers on PP2. Its a waste of 30-40s.

Mercer is still mostly a bystander.

Finally, the last major issues for the Devils are their board work and their ability to clear pucks. Schmid’s almost goal and the third goal were bad but both times the offensive player, blows past the defense. Having both defensive players on the boards is really working. Good news, if the Devils do get the puck, they will flub a pass, blow a tire, and get their pockets picked.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
You can’t win them all. The Devils had a tough schedule. They did fine on this road trip. Didn’t watch the whole game yesterday, but the first goal was so weak. I’m still worried about our goaltending. Just as long as they stay close to a playoff spot I’m good.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I've said this before and I'll say it again, it's a hilarious dichotomy that while goalies always get blamed for the team giving up a ton of goals, the team never seems to get blamed for going punchless on offense against poor goalies.

A: it's a Western Canada road b2b, if the Devils were rested at home there'd be a lot more anger

B: everyone here knows this team has a ton of offensive firepower, they are 5th in the league in goals , have played one fewer game than the average team, haven't won any shootouts, and have 3 empty net goals.

Reactions: My3Sons

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I've said this before and I'll say it again, it's a hilarious dichotomy that while goalies always get blamed for the team giving up a ton of goals, the team never seems to get blamed for going punchless on offense against poor goalies.
One of those things happens with alarming regularity, and the other doesn't, though.

If the devils were a top 5 team in Sv% I sure would forgive the occasional stinker, just like I can sometimes forgive not scoring in the third game of a 3 on 4 on a western road trip.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
One of those things happens with alarming regularity, and the other doesn't, though.

If the devils were a top 5 team in Sv% I sure would forgive the occasional stinker, just like I can sometimes forgive not scoring in the third game of a 3 on 4 on a western road trip.
It doesn’t matter, it was still the case when we were struggling with regularity to score, either the other goalie played well or we were unlucky, I’m not basing my comment on just this year

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It’s not like we’ve blown a lot of big leads this season, the problem was we weren’t getting them.

Teams can lose in all sorts of ugly ways and it’s not the end of the world.

Hell, look at the Edmonton this year, the Oiler haters on the main board were dancing on their grave and now the team people expected in preseason has shown up.

Last season Habs fans spent months gloating about how they were getting a lottery pick with the 2023 Florida 1st. Whoops.

It’s not like I’m particularly optimistic about this particular season* but there are always ebbs and flows to every season. “We’re not a playoff team” crying after every loss is a bit silly to me.

And if anyone thinks that over-sharing bitter negativity means that they get to claim they’re right whenever things go wrong… nope. That’s just your factory setting, you win no points for it.

*Note: I’m never particularly optimistic about anything ever lol.
This is all true. Just feeling very uninspired with how the team has played so far this season even in wins. They have the talent to turn it around though. Still think we end up making the playoffs.

Reactions: BurntToast

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Their goalie didn’t give up any bad goals ours did. If he made the saves he had to make (schmid) the devils win that game

• Haha
Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It doesn’t matter, it was still the case when we were struggling with regularity to score, either the other goalie played well or we were unlucky, I’m not basing my comment on just this year

Meh, every fanbase says this. The Oilers are basically us with having super skater core but just need average goaltending to be elite. That being said, they absolutely didn't have their legs + Jack looked off. That was a game we need our superstar to take absolutely over to have any chance on a B2B and 3 in 4 nights. Really disappointed in Timo since he's been back, probably still hurt. 3-1 with their two top 6 forwards being basically MIA is good for me on a road trip.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
While I am glad the Oilers beat the Devils and extended their winning streak to seven games, but I was really entertained by New Jersey's playstyle. What a great young team you folks have there. Fast, intense, skilled, they remind me of the Oilers with a younger McDavid and Draisaitl.

I expect big things from the Devils in the near future.

Camille the Eel

Luke has to work on his shot.
But also introduce more motion into the play. Switch places with Jack occasionally, more rotation, occasionally take it right into the slot closer in to make the shot more dangerous. And the bumper guy has to be more involved also. They are overplaying Jack and expecting Luke to do nothing but rotate the puck or take a long shot. Where our guys in front are not getting tips either. Our whole power play has gotten very static and predictable over the last three games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad