There Should Be No Captain Next Season

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Semi-relevant since he wears a letter. But, it's a somewhat safe assumption that Staal wants to stay here now, right? I mean, his brothers' team is a disaster, one or both them will likely be traded soon, and the Rangers have already had a successful season at the very start of a new coach's term and the implementation of a new game plan.

If he re-signs, I wouldn't be shocked to see him wear the C. AV is a big fan of Staal as a player and a guy.

Also, it seemed somewhat telling that after MSL gives the hat to the whole team, Richie is the one who hands it to Hank. Seems like he's sort of the defacto captain. Not saying it's good or bad, just pointing it out.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
No offense to MSL, but I would much rather our captain be a homegrown player who has been with the team for years, and will continue to do so, as opposed to someone who has only been with the team for one playoff run and probably won't have much of an extended future here (unless he has Messier-like qualities in the locker room).

This isn't like back in 2006 or 2008 when Jagr and Drury were named captains and our young players were only getting their feet wet. Staal and Girardi are now veterans in this league, and McDonagh is becoming one of the top defenseman in the game. I'd really like to see one of them wearing the "C" over the likes of MSL and hopefully Richards isn't even an option because he will no longer be here.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Semi-relevant since he wears a letter. But, it's a somewhat safe assumption that Staal wants to stay here now, right? I mean, his brothers' team is a disaster, one or both them will likely be traded soon, and the Rangers have already had a successful season at the very start of a new coach's term and the implementation of a new game plan.

If he re-signs, I wouldn't be shocked to see him wear the C. AV is a big fan of Staal as a player and a guy.

Also, it seemed somewhat telling that after MSL gives the hat to the whole team, Richie is the one who hands it to Hank. Seems like he's sort of the defacto captain. Not saying it's good or bad, just pointing it out.

I thought Richards was kind of the keeper of the hat or something since he was the one who started it in the first place.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I thought Richards was kind of the keeper of the hat or something since he was the one who started it in the first place.

Ah, yes. That would make sense as well. I hadn't considered that.

Seemed somewhat telling to me though that he had it to give out rather than the last individual who won it. Not a big deal by any means, just something that stuck out to me.

AHB*

Normally I'd be completely against a new player getting the C.

However, MSL is not your average new player.

Agreed. MSL and Richards are the leaders of this team. You hear it from every interview. I thought Brassard saying "we were all ready to hop on the plane with him to Montreal if we didn't have a game," was very telling.

He has become a Ranger very quickly, but he is one. These guys idolize him and I think he embodies the type of persona you want leading a team, regardless of on-ice production.

The guy should be our stop-gap captain. McD is just not ready yet.

The only guy I'd possibly prefer is Staal, but I absolutely would not do it without him being locked up (which I sincerely hope).

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Normally I'd be completely against a new player getting the C.

However, MSL is not your average new player.

Pretty much this. He's our best bet right now until McDonagh gets it. MSL came into this team and pretty much slid right in (in terms of locker room presence and respect from the other players). He would be a great choice, he's a leader.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I agree Richards has been clutch in certain situations but the guy shows no hustle or work ethic during most of the season. I dont really think he is C material.

Id be ok with MSL even though he is new, and obviously McD, with the A's going to the usual suspects.

SKjEi o2

Nov 13, 2013
The most talented player isn't always the best choice for a leader. Especially a young player like McDonagh.
I don't believe we can honestly have this discussion because we don't see how the team acts away from cameras. I'll be happy with whoever AV decides should be Captain because he knows how the team operates.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
IF and that's a big IF we win the cup Lundqvist has to be the one who get's it first and hands it off to whom ever.

Lundqvist -> St. Louis -> Girardi -> Zuccarello

Rangers legend, to the top player, to the longest serving player, to the best player this season.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Lundqvist -> St. Louis -> Girardi -> Zuccarello

Rangers legend, to the top player, to the longest serving player, to the best player this season.

You could make the pretty safe assumption that in the absence of a captain the 3 A's would get it first (although lundqvist could be in there somewhere)

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
You could make the pretty safe assumption that in the absence of a captain the 3 A's would get it first (although lundqvist could be in there somewhere)

I'm going to go on a limb and say that Hank raises the trophy regardless of who wears the A's

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, honestly not sold on MSL being captain. I agree with many here should def be a homegrown, long-term role player ala McD, Staal, G. All are amazing candidates.

CharlieCharleschuk

Nov 26, 2013
The most talented player isn't always the best choice for a leader. Especially a young player like McDonagh.
I don't believe we can honestly have this discussion because we don't see how the team acts away from cameras. I'll be happy with whoever AV decides should be Captain because he knows how the team operates.

You're making too much sense!

But based on observing and guessing at the makeup of this team I'd say a guy like Girardi or Staal would have a good shot at being named by the coach.

Wolfy*

Richards stays and becomes our new captain, I'm sure of it.

He's done a pretty good job both as a player and a leader, since the Callahan trade.

I don't think McDonagh is quite ready yet.

CharlieCharleschuk

Nov 26, 2013
Richards stays and becomes our new captain, I'm sure of it.

He's done a pretty good job both as a player and a leader, since the Callahan trade.

I don't think McDonagh is quite ready yet.

It would be horrible for the team to have Richards' contract as our captain in a few years. Because that's all he's going to be.

Agree on McDonagh.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
McDonagh is too young to be captain. I can see him one day getting the C, but there are too many veterans and guys with leadership experience ahead of him. I always thought that even Callahan was too young. Not a fan of young captains at all. Nothing against McDonagh though.

I agree. I get Crosby since he was/is the face of the franchise and who they decided to build around. But Landeskog, Benn etc not so keen on.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
How about Stepan? He's not the most popular choice but he's always struck me as a future leader. Also based off CK's interview he's a really good guy in the locker room

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
To be honest, I don't give McDonagh a letter.

Staal and G already have letters. They aren't getting them taken away.

Next is probably going to be a forward. If Richie isn't bought out, he's likely battling Staal for the C, but if not definitely retains in A.

If he is bought out, I'd give the A to Boyle, then Zucc, then MSL in that order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad