There Should Be No Captain Next Season

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Not to take anything away from McDonagh, who mostly everyone thinks will be the next captain, but should we roll with three alternates next year? For the past few years, this has been a group of players who all work hard to try to win. Not always with skill, but they are tough, and mentally tough. I think going with three alternates would be more of a close-group kind of thing instead of having one player who is designated to be the more outspoken leader. They should all lead and there should be no captain.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
I agree that the season should start without a captain. However, if someone seizes the leadership void during the season, I would not be opposed to the naming of a captain mid-season.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I would not be opposed to running with alternates. But my gut tells me that Marty will be awarded the C eventually.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
McDonagh is too young to be captain. I can see him one day getting the C, but there are too many veterans and guys with leadership experience ahead of him. I always thought that even Callahan was too young. Not a fan of young captains at all. Nothing against McDonagh though.

Realistically you're looking at MSL as captain, which makes a hell of a lot of sense right now given what he's done for this team, the pride he's shown, how the players have rallied around him (you don't rally around a guy you hate or don't care about), and of course his experience as a captain in Tampa Bay.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Not a doubt in my mind that McDonagh gets it. That's an off-color thing to say right now because he hasn't been good in the playoffs but he's still the most important player on this team other than Henrik and he's still one of the best D-men in the NHL.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Not a doubt in my mind that McDonagh gets it. That's an off-color thing to say right now because he hasn't been good in the playoffs but he's still the most important player on this team other than Henrik and he's still one of the best D-men in the NHL.

One day he will be captain. Now is not that time.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I mean I hate to say it, especially considering I still waffle on whether or not we should buy him out, but Richards always seems to step up when it matters. Wouldn't mind him as a stop gap while McDonagh has an A before he's donned the C.

MSL isn't a bad choice either. Just tough because Staal has an A and I just don't see him as one of the top 3 leaders on the team anymore. But do you strip him of it?

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
I mean I hate to say it, especially considering I still waffle on whether or not we should buy him out, but Richards always seems to step up when it matters. Wouldn't mind him as a stop gap while McDonagh has an A before he's donned the C.

My sincere hope is that Richards is amnestied and not on this team next year. He's been better this year but he won't last and the cap recapture penalty would be brutal.

MSL as a very solid stopgap and them McD when the time comes.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
One day he will be captain. Now is not that time.

Young captains have worked out fine for LA and Chicago. I think you're overstating the value of age. There are a lot of bad teams around the league with grizzled veterans for captains and a lot of good teams with young captains.

Why are we going to designate a captain who might not be here long term? McDonagh isn't going anywhere for a long, long time and he's the best and most valuable player on the team not named Lundqvist. He could be a perennial candidate for the Norris. McDonagh is the obvious choice for captain.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
3 A's would work. A few scenarios:

A - Staal
A - Girardi
A - St. Louis

A - McDonagh
A - Staal
A - St. Louis

If we keep Richards:

A - Richards
A - Staal
A - McDonagh

or...

A - Richards
A - Staal
A - St. Louis

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Young captains have worked out fine for LA and Chicago. I think you're overstating the value of age. There are a lot of bad teams around the league with grizzled veterans for captains and a lot of good teams with young captains.

Why are we going to designate a captain who might not be here long term? McDonagh isn't going anywhere for a long, long time and he's the best and most valuable player on the team not named Lundqvist. He could be a perennial candidate for the Norris. McDonagh is the obvious choice for captain.

It's my opinion, but I think older players tend to have a hard time listening to a younger, less accomplished guy just because he has a C. I actually think it would be very beneficial to McDonagh to have Marty be captain. He's a great role model and gives McD about 2 years or so to develop his game even more and improve his leadership skills.

Let him get an A when MSL retires to have him earn it between Staal and Girardi. With an emphasis on the word "earn." I feel like people want to give him the C just because he's our most talented, important player. There's a team we just beat that did that. Ask them how they're feeling about that right now.

I am totally for McDonagh for Captain one day, I see the potential, but it must be earned, not given. If Richards gets bought out that leaves an A (or C slot) open. Why would McDonagh fill that role over MSL? What qualifications does he have that makes his résumé superior to St. Louis'? Who has quite frankly been the better leader, McDonagh or St. Louis? The answer is obvious.

In time McDonagh will likely be the captain. No need to rush that on him.

Edit: Forgot to address your first point, my apologies. Toews is sort of a rare exception but even he is too immature for my liking. Brown is also a pretty disgraceful captain, but nonetheless his leadership apparently works (a fair amount of LA fans still don't view Brown as the real captain however.) It usually is the exception not the norm to have young captains.

Last edited:

Wolfy*

Zucc should have an A, he was our best player this regular season.

MSL should certainly not be our captain next season, he's only been here a few months.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
i think its gunna end up being girardi... very even keeled player much like AV,where as cally was very emotionally invested like torts.

girardi shows the on ice leadership with blocking shots and going full out 24/7

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Zucc should have an A, he was our best player this regular season.

MSL should certainly not be our captain next season, he's only been here a few months.

I'm pretty happy with others seeing the A myself, but what sort of bearing might the Macdonald award have on choosing next years alternative captains ?

petey

Oct 13, 2013
I know most wont agree but the rangers should lock up Boyle with a new contract and make him captain that guy gives all he has . As long as he doesn't want to break the bank they have to bring him back he does anything they want him to do

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I don't think we'll leave the C unfilled to start next season. MSL is by far the most experienced and respected player in the room. Sentimentally, I'm not a huge fan of trade deadline acquisition becoming the captain so soon but with the amount of respect and leadership he's shown and how well the team has rallied around him, his qualifications are irrefutable. MSL until he retires then McDonagh.

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
Zucc is also one of the most liked people in the locker room. He's always talking to players both on and off the ice. Just look at every face-off, he's over to talk to a teammate to set a plan or something. He's always talking with the refs as well. Last person off the ice is Zucc as he stands by the player exit and gives everyone a pat.

I think the players do respect Zuccarello and honestly - if he's half as involved as it looks - he deserves an A.

Alas, it's not about what WE think. We don't hear, see or understand 90% of what's told or shown to us on different media outlets. For all we know, McDonagh is genuinely hated and not respected at all by his teammates who secretly talk smack about him when he's not around.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Why cause they won this series? No mcd, Staal or girardi. Msl is older and a leader without the C

mti79

May 11, 2007
If we don't buyout Richards, I think he gets the "C". Then Staal and Girardi keep their A's. Unless you go with 4 A's, 2 for the road and 2 for home. Then you can go MSL and G at home, Staal and Boyle/McD on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad