Larry Brooks: There might be Brad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Ok what I would do with Richards is trade him this year or next to a team looking for cap.

Phoenix or Nashville would be good choices.

Though some cash into the deal to facilitate a buy out, rather then have Richards retiring early.

A win win for everyone

The last 3years of Richard's are at 1 mil per with a cap hit over 6mil that is value
for a low cap team.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Explore ROR. Explore Getzlaf. There is plenty that can be done.

Yeah a team that already lacks intensity should go after ROR, a guy that's putting money before playing hockey :laugh:

I wouldn't be entirely against Getzlaf, but when have we ever signed a big free agent that worked?

I'd much rather draft a #1 center like every great team in the league has done.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah a team that already lacks intensity should go after ROR, a guy that's putting money before playing hockey :laugh:
No indication he's holding out for money. He doesn't like Colorado. He has the potential to be one of the best two-way centers in the game. I don't think it's laugh-worthy.

I wouldn't be entirely against Getzlaf, but when have we ever signed a big free agent that worked?
Marian Gaborik?

I'd much rather draft a #1 center like every great team in the league has done.
Doubt we'll have draft position to do that and that the front office won't have to worry finding another franchise goaltender instead.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm sure Getzlaf would love to sign here right as we buy out our last high-priced UFA center. Buyout Richards so we can try another FA for $7M per year? The irony is almost too much to take.

Apr 10, 2012
No, it's not. The paperwork is probably already filed. You obviously make a move to replace him in the off-season.

there is zero guarantee that you get a top tier center in the offseason and there's no way in hell sather let's boyle and stepan be our 1 and 2 centers. be realistic. richards shows glances of his skill still, he's just panicking mentally. blame it on lack of camp, changes of chemistry, or the long break or w/e but this is 100% mental. he didn't have the best start last season either. i'd rather risk it being mental and keeping him than having boyle our #2 center any dayy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No indication he's holding out for money. He doesn't like Colorado. He has the potential to be one of the best two-way centers in the game. I don't think it's laugh-worthy.

Even if that's the case, he won't produce enough to replace Richards, or what Richards is supposed to be I should say. We already have a 2nd line center.

Marian Gaborik?

No. I wouldn't call having multi-goal games every two weeks to pad totals "working out". There's alot more games where he's invisible than effective.

Doubt we'll have draft position to do that and that the front office won't have to worry finding another franchise goaltender instead.

In today's game the franchise center is proving more valuable.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/there_might_be_brad_news_MNsfx6iWGOJVqBj4SYWbdN

Brooks brings up Gaborik as a compliance buyout. What? The Rangers can trade him. The Rangers should trade him. Richards is an absolute compliance buyout. If he plays this way for the rest of the season,consider executing the buyout this summer. Why risk the possibility of an injury?

Doesn't Gaborik have a NTC? If has half a brain he'll make them buy him out, collect the cash, and go sign a new fat contract.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
There are injuries. NYR had a significant turnover and no camp. I get a lack of chemistry, but the identity and team toughness is lacking - that concerns me even more. Stay the course right now, but if things continue on a downward spiral, then you may have to investigate a few significant moves for the future. (Such as: investigate DZ for RoR, dealing Gabby, seeing if you can move BR to a team like Toronto - otherwise a buy out.) - that worst case scenario may not be all bad for next year.. especially if you could being in a guy like Perry. You've now added picks/prospects and still go into next year with a top 6 including Nash, Perry, Stepan, RoR, Cally, Hagelin etc... But I'm getting Waaaaaaay ahead of myself!

Heyoooo*

09-10 and 11-12 Gaborik > 10-11 and whopping 17 game 2013 Gaborik

178 games worth at 88 goals > 79 games worth at 29 goals.

For such an unsuccessful franchise, we sure are picky.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
They were also extremely close to getting knocked out in the first round by the 8th seed, and then in the second round by the 7th seed. Maybe that's not entirely relevant - it's drawing straws that may or may not have been meaningful, but for as close as we supposedly were, we didn't make it easy.

And the Devils were one goal away from being eliminated in the first round. Not every team rolls through the playoffs sweeping one round after the next.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
The Rangers did not go from favorites for the Cup into needing to blow up the team after 17 games. I'm as down on them as anyone here, but that is absolutely ridiculous

vstk

Jun 17, 2011
Valhalla, NY
Apparently it took 17 games for this board to give up on the Rangers. 17 Games.

Are we on full panic mode right now when we are talking about trading Gaborik, Girardi (and hell, even Lundqvist) and buying out Richards for few picks and prospects? Guess so.

I'd be willing to see this season through before panicking, but that's just me.

Maaxse

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
I'm sure Getzlaf would love to sign here right as we buy out our last high-priced UFA center. Buyout Richards so we can try another FA for $7M per year? The irony is almost too much to take.

Pound per pound, which player would you rather have?

Heyoooo*

40 goals isn't good enough unless you're spreading it out evenly over the season. Duh.

Both times Gaborik has scored 40 goals+, hes been consistent. Hes done it twice in 3 and 1/3 seasons, not to mention scored some of the biggest goals in franchise history.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2416/gamelog;_ylt=Ahdehk712f69S.v6.aWQSx9ivLYF?year=2009

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2416/gamelog;_ylt=AgW1FkV4GkhX.0gLzAsy9HRivLYF?year=2011

We are 17 games into this season at a time when the entire team looks like **** outside of about three or four players at any given time.

Not sure if youre agreeing with MachineHead but I wouldnt exactly say Gaborik has been a free agent bust.

Once again, for such a joke of a franchise that we are, we sure are pretty ****ing picky around here. Im sorry but we're not Montreal or Detroit here.

"He scores 40+"

"But not consistently!"

"Okay, dont take the 40 goals."

Ironically enough, you dont get 40 goals in a season without being consistent.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The funny thing is, Richards ends up getting bought out, Gabby gets traded, albeit for a good return, but not straight up for another player of his caliber obviously and we're building an offense around Rick Nash. Might actually be better than trying to have three "superstars" in the lineup and no depth.

Building around Rick Nash offensively seems like a bad idea, not sure turning the Blueshirts into the Blue Jackets is the best direction.

Shouldn't Tortorella just loosen the offensive reigns a bit now that the Rangers have so much offensive talent? Let those guys do what makes them successful and have the goalie bail you out. Seems like a better idea than grinding yourself down.

*Bob Richards*

This thread covers Richards and trade speculation. I don't think we really need this. We have two other threads dedicated to those very things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad